I know I should know this, but . . .

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by rtiemens, Nov 5, 2004.

1. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    I am drawing a total blank.

What's up with Tino Quaranta? Is he healthy and warming the bench, or is he out for the year with some injury or other?

2. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still coming back from injury. That is to say he can play, but I think it's more of getting him match fit and also not jeopardizing next season.

3. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Tino is finally available. His only action for us has been as a late game sub in our shorthanded win away over the Mutts on Oct 9 and our first round playoff win over them on October 23. So after missing almost a whole year he's played in 2 of our last 5 games.

The toxic fumes from the Swamp must be good for his rehab.

4. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Q1 is 100% healthy now. In fact, he's more than healthy. Much like Rimando's injury-surgery-rest-recovery brought him back better than ever, Q1 is significantly stronger, faster, and most importantly, much more professional in attitude. Today in the final minutes of practice he was launching drives from 30+ yards out with high velocity and good accuracy.

His contract ends at the end of this season. He desperately wants to remain with DCUnited, but he understands the various possibilities with the expansion draft and new contract. A great deal of chatter on these boards has been whether or not to protect Q1 from the expansion draft. I think the more relevent question that hasn't been talked about is, what happens if Q1 decides to spend the off-season on trial overseas? I know many haven't had the chance to see him play much this season, but I think he's on the verge of a breakout.

5. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully that breakout is in MLS and with DC United. We certainly deserve that. Q1 might be better of if it were too. He needs to prove (as much to himself) that he can be a professional in this league and a good MLS season would build his confidence (a la EJ) enough to perhaps deal with the challenges of playing abroad.

Thanks for the eyewitness viewpoint Dice. Let's keep this on the down low though or else he may be sporting a RSL jersey next year (though I doubt it).

6. Maniac

Maniac Member

Dec 21, 2000
    Washington DC
    Don't forget his performance vs. Municipal at RFK Stadium - The opponent wasn't much, but still a solid effort from Q1.

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I hadn't thought about a move overseas. I think he might be able to get a trial or two based on his reputation, but if I was a manager I would want to see him healthy for an extended period of time before I brought him to my team. However I think if he stays in MLS it will be with United...he has far too much talent to be let go for nothing.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I say you absolutely keep Tino on the roster. His upside and potential are HUGE. He IS the future of DC United and gives us that big strong presence we need up front. With Thiago going under the surgeons knife once again, I can't see how you would let Tino get away.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto that. And I like the sound of Diceson's post.

10. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Before he got injured in 2002 I thought he was our most dangerous player. I think the league should give him a 2 year contract and maybe sell him if he has a breakout year next season.

Excellent report, Dice Man!

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Give him a 2 year contract with an additional 4 years of MLS options!