I have a rather stupid question for everybody.

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KCWiz, Jul 9, 2005.

1. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I know the qualified teams for the World Cup are drawn from a pot to determine the groups. But that is the extent of my knowledge. Can anybody explain to me how the drawing goes to prevent, for example, Argentina and Brazil from playing each other in the same group?

All help will be appreciated.

2. jhawkinva

jhawkinva New Member

May 27, 2003
    Northern VA
    A seeding formula, which there is a huge thread about in this forum, determines the eight seeded teams (of which the host must be a part) that will go in Pot A. Pot B is the non-seeded Euros. Pot C is the remaining Euro and a combo of two other confederations. In the past two tournaments CONCACAF and Africa have formed one pot, while Asia and South America have formed the other. FIFA may draw Asia and CONCACAF together this time though. We won't know exactly how they'll do it until the draw approaches.

Pots C and D are the only question marks right now. Currently Pot A is BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, SPAIN, FRANCE, ENGLAND, MEXICO, and ITALY, with GERMANY locked into A1.

3. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    I think that the mechanics for Pot B are that all the remaining Euros are put there (we're assuming 9 this year, based on the current seeding formula). During the second round of the draw, 8 of these are chosen for positions in groups. The remaining one is then added to the next Pot for the 3rd round of the draw. (Subtle distinction, but it does provide that the 9th Euro is random.)

I am reminded of a teacher who often said, "There are no stupid questions, except the one not asked." Or, as I've also heard it modified, "... only stupid answers." Hopefully this isn't one of them. (Although I must say, I have heard a few questions that must have at least bordered on the stupid side.)

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also believe that confederations are kept apart when possible. For example, the United States cannot be in Mexico's group, even if Mexico is seeded and the USA not.

5. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Top 8 teams using FIFA's formula (see WC06 seeding formula thread for more information) are placed in POT A.

All other (probably 9) UEFA teams are placed in Pot B

AFC teams and the other CONMEBOL (historically) or CONCACAF teams are in pot C

CAF teams and the other CONMEBOL or CONCACAF (historically) teams are in Pot D

For 2006:
    1. Germany (a seeded team) has been placed in Group A. There are rumors that when Brazil qualifies, they will be placed in Pot F or H (less likely).
    2. The other seeded teams are going to be randomly drawn into the remaining groups.
    3. Eight of the nine UEFA teams are going to be randomly drawn into groups A-H.
    4. (If there are only 7 teams in POT C) the remaining UEFA team is drawn into a group with a seeded team from CONMEBOL or CONCACAF.
    5. The CONMEBOL or CONCACAF teams from Pot C are drawn into groups that do not have a top seed from their own confederation.
    6. The AFC teams are drawn into the remaining groups.
    7. (If there are only 7 teams in POT D) the remaining UEFA team is drawn into a group with a seeded team from CONMEBOL or CONCACAF.
    8. The CONMEBOL or CONCACAF teams from Pot D are drawn into groups that do not have a top seed from their own confederation.
    9. The five CAF teams are drawn into the remaining groups.

The 2002 procedures were somewhat different. See this for a play by play recap of the draw.

6. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

its true...2002 paired up CAF and CONCACAF because they totaled 8 teams...

things were screwed up because 2 asian teams were seeded, leaving a 4th pot with Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, China and Saudi Arabia, and 3 euro teams (not sure who but one was from USA's group, Poland i think, as well as Russia or Belgium from Group H, and i guess either Sweden or England i spose...

im just trying to remember what i saw in 2002, so i could be wrong about pot D

7. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Technically, pot D only contained the five teams you mentioned. The 3 leftover Euro teams were drawn right after the other Euro teams, except they drew the groups they would go into instead of the teams.