I have a little question ...

Discussion in 'Australia' started by atlantefc, Aug 24, 2006.

1. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hi I'm mexican first of all and I have a question how do you guys call "The Beautiful Game" ? soccer or football cause i know you guys have your own football like americans and I'm just confused ..

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    its soccer at the moment- but trying to go back to football

the national teams still called the "Socceroos"

3. woodzie12345

woodzie12345 New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Australia
    Yeah, we have many different "Football Codes" such as Rugby League, Rugby Union, AFL (Australian Rules Football) and Soccer.

However, there has been a push recently back to calling soccer football. Our papers (at least those i read), for example, distinguish Rugby League/Union/Rules and Football and our national league (the A-League) is pushing the slogan "It's Football, but not as you know it".

However, when you talk to most people you still have to say "Yeah I'm a big fan of football... (soccer)."

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Australia is unique around the world in being the only country that has 4 different football codes that are all very popular. Because of this, they have their own common names to distinguish them from one another - Australian Football is "Aussie Rules", Rugby League Football is "League", Rugby Union Football is "Rugby" (or, less commonly, "Union"). Association Football is "Soccer". The word "football" in normal conversation usually refers to the most dominant code in the area - Aussie Rules in the southern states, and usually League in the eastern states.

For much of our history, the word "Soccer" had been used much the same as it is in the USA - as the only name for the sport. Soccer has never used the word 'football' until a couple of years ago, when the old national body "Soccer Australia" was replaced by "Football Federation Australia", and they announced that the game would now officially be called "Football" in Australia to bring us into line with the rest of the world. It was also used as a marketing technique to rebrand and distance the game from the negative historical images it's had in this country (ethnic violence, corruption, etc). The slogan was "Old Soccer, New Football".

Now the national body, national league, players, officials, etc all call it football. Most of the national press has got on-side with the renaming and now the game is called "football" in most papers, on the news, etc. As woodzie said, soccer is still a highly-used term (particularly with the 'Socceroos') and you still pretty much have to clarify that you're talking about soccer when you say "football". But 'football' is now used frequently and legitimately when referring to the game, whereas before it was never used - if you called it football, you'd be scorned. Previously soccer wasn't even considered a type of football by the majority of the population, now it's a lot more accepted than it used to be.

The next "challenge" is reclaiming the word so that when you say "football" people will automatically think about the Beautiful Game first instead of one of the others. Personally, I don't think it will ever happen. But to me that doesn't matter - the best thing to come out of it is that now it is mostly recognised as a legitimate type of football, which is very important in Australia. The different football codes are the tough, patriotic, men's games in Australia - soccer was seen as foreign and completely different, and had negative and weak imagery attached to it. The renaming and rebranding, plus marketing and increasing the professionalism of the game means that it's being taken more seriously in the country and is moving towards being seen as a legitimate fourth brother in the football family.

5. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Oh, by the way, congratulations. This is the 400,000th thread on BigSoccer since the Big Crash during World Cup 2002. :D

6. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    It doesn't matter if its called calcio, futball, football, or soccer its still the greatest sport on earth. For me its also the greatest language on earth, you cna go anywhere in the world kick a round ball and people will understand you.

7. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nice post, but I'd have to say that in Victoria (I can't speak for other states) it's not really true to say that the media has switched from calling it "soccer" to "football". Both Melbourne newspapers (Herald Sun and The Age), the sports focussed radio stations (3AW and SEN) and the local TV news still use "soccer". The AFL is still too entrenched in our psyche at this stage as football, or plain "footy".

Compare "sister" newspapers The Age (Melbourne) and the Sydney Morning Herald. They are both Fairfax papers, but check their websites.
    theage.com.au : soccer
    smh.com.au : football.

8. Sven-from-holland

Sven-from-holland New Member

Aug 5, 2006
    [​IMG]

Here is an explanation about the word "soccer"

Football or Soccer?

In the 1880's, Oxford University students used slang which involved adding an "er" to the end of words they had deliberately shortened.
    "Rugger," was slang for Rugby Football.

A student, named Charles Wreford Brown, was asked if he liked to play rugger.

'No soccer!' Was his witty reply.

He had shortened asSOCiation (football) and added "er."

The term was coined!

Wreford Brown went on to play international football, (oops!) soccer, for England!

In 1888, William McGregor - a Scot and director of Aston Villa club persuaded 12 clubs to agree to a regular home and away fixture list - so creating the English Football League.

The 12 founding clubs were:

Accrington (Old Reds)
    Aston Villa
    Blackburn Rovers
    Bolton Wanderers
    Burnley
    Derby County
    Everton
    Notts County
    Preston North End
    Stoke City
    West Bromwich Albion
    Wolverhampton Wanderers

The first league match kicked off on 8th. September 1888.

Jack Gordon, playing for Preston North End scored the first ever league goal.

From these beginnings world soccer developed.

http://worldsoccer.about.com/cs/hist.../sochist_2.htm

and here's the history of football

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football

9. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thank you for your replies :)

10. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i know where the term 'caps' come from as it is a rugby term also... but it would be funny in this day and age to see the players wear these caps in the games like the old days :p