I fought Matt Law and Matt Law won. Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lots of Buzz that relegated Bournemouth have accepted a 41m offer from City for Ake.

You hate to see it. I can only conclude that Lamps et al just don't think he's that good. A former academy guy at a position we desperately need help in, where we had a buyback and could have easily had him if we wanted.

Oh well

lobomojo repped this.
  2. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly we've yet to put in a bid for Kai. In return, Bayern say they want him playing in Europe. Per Christian Faulk.

I think the Kepa issue is taking precedence. Never a Lampard purchase and if we can't sell him, he'll be placed on loan for the remainder of his contract.

3. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bayer wants him to play Europa - not Bayern. Lol.

If Kepa is keeping up a Kai move, that would be pretty dumb.

4. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Douh...yes Bayer....drop the n lol

5. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  6. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just watched Timo's first ChelseaTV interview. One question to him was about what impact Lampard had on his decision to come here.

Timo, without hesitation: "He was the main point"

Mostly the usual expected lines about being excited to be here etc, but that really stuck out to me.

Boris10 repped this.
  9. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think that Lampard era squad (wasn't all that long ago) had a huge impact on younger kids across Europe and the US. They grew up watching Barca destroy everyone and then watched Lampard do THIS.

And this!

Boris10 and lobomojo repped this.
  10. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    lobomojo repped this.
  11. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why Lamp wants Willian: (why I think a third year, even if wasted) is far cheaper than a transfer fee for an unproven replacement)
    "
    "That fitness record [yeas this week the exception that proves rule] should not be discounted, especially as Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi have suffered from niggles this season, and Lampard also feels his work ethic and willingness to track back are an example for his young players.

“On the ball, we all know his ability,” the manager said after Chelsea’s 2-0 win over Crystal Palace last November. “But his off-the-ball work is an outstanding example for Callum Hudson-Odoi, for Christian Pulisic, for other young players who think the only part of the game is going by people, crossing or shooting. He does the other side brilliant with absolute humility.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...lsea-but-may-play-his-way-into-arsenals-hands

12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Would be happy to see us go into the new era with a completely refreshed front 3. Willian’s efforts for us have bee admirable albeit extremely inconsistent. I’m content with moving on from him.

13. Boris10

Boris10 Member

Chelsea
    England
    Sep 25, 2019
    Cucurella's an interesting one. Started as a left back but currently a defensive-minded left winger... we know Frank likes to switch between a flat 4 and wing backs. Described as hard working, an attribute that could not be used to describe the incumbent in that position.

14. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    That chip against Barca was 2006, before they started their real run of titles with Messi. Was also the year after we did them in the round of 16. Still bitter José set us up for penalties against Liverpool over two rounds in the semis. If you can outgun Barca 5-4 in a year you give up only 15 league goals, maybe try to score.

Frank’s best Champions League goal for me will always be against Bayern in 2005. Unreal technique. Control with the chest away from goal and finish on the half volley with the weak foot.

Dr_Intoxicated and Blueallthru repped this.
  15. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agree on the Bayern goal. It's always the one I remember when thinking of great goals.

16. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Obscene how good teams were then.

17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Willian edging ever closer to Chelsea exit after he rejected a deal that would extend him to June 2022.

Kepa, still "error-prone." (Is he at Karius level? Please post howlers.)

Stepping up the pursuit of Kai. Will have to sell to improve defense, though? Ok!

18. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kepa isn't anywhere near the top of direct goalkeeper errors.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/error_lead_to_goal

While I still want Kai.. we need a centerback and a midfielder more than anything else.

RB and LB are equal now IMO in terms of needing upgrades. Azpi has been at fault for 3-5 goals in the restart and Reece isn't anywhere near being up to par yet.

19. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He was bad post-restart, but he was so good before it. Maybe an issue with motivation without fans, who knows. It's a very unusual set of circumstances.

Or maybe he just needs to become more consistent. He is still very young, and the only way he'll get there is with reliable playing time. He won't get it if we buy someone

Blueallthru repped this.
  20. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yahtzee repped this.
  21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When will Kai be announced and can we get a new LB and CB too

22. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes, even I will admit Kepa hasn't been up to snuff. But.. these narratives can be very powerful. Was chatting about this with a friend.

The Lukaku narrative.. the KDB "attitude" narrative.. the "the most of the team has turned on Jose and needs to be sold" narrative. It's not just football either obviously but I guess, for me, I view it as a form of manufactured consent. Trippy.

23. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

For me it is not a question of narrative, it's the evidence of my own eyes.

24. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The mistakes you see Kepa make, do you also see the mistakes that were made to get to that point?

Yahtzee and truefan420 repped this.
  25. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes, and both are glaring issues. Kepa is part of the problem, so are most of the CB's and a couple of mids.

Boris10 and Crawleybus repped this.