I fought Matt Law and Matt Law won. Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's if he's past his sulking faze. But all for Wilian staying and providing that maturity to the team.

2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he's unlikely to get a starting role with a club that will compete for serious silverware.

So if he gets paid enough and has another year or two of security at a place he knows and loves, why not. The squad loves him and having a veteran in the squad would be great.

Hopefully a win-win

Dr_Intoxicated, lobomojo and Rman3349 repped this.
  3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn’t handled being benched well in the past. Maybe it’s different this time. I won’t hold my breath tho. Willian is a good player with good attributes to bring to the table but he’s lacking in some key attacking areas. I just don’t see as much of a role for him with the wide options we now have.

Pulisic, Timo, Ziyech and likely Kai (even tho I think he’s played as CM in 4-3-3). Plus there’s Cho. He’s likely going to want to go out on loan for the year so he can get PT.

I’m cool with Willian coming back just as long as he knows he isn’t a lock starter. If that’s understood then ok. If it’s not then he can go the same way Luiz did.

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  5. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not to mention Mason Mount and RLC. I see us scoring more goals next season. We may have to wait another season for the better GK and CB. I see a lot of 3-2, 4-3 and 5-3 results in our future. Which I am okay with tbh. We will be the winning team in those high scoring games.

Willian offers something a little different. He can collect the ball deep and run the length of the pitch. His legs seem fine. Age is just a number. Andy? Mr. Naughtius Maximus? Age? Just a number right?

6. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #356 StamfordBridgeLions, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  7. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #358 Brock Hannsen, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that our attack might consist of Werner, Ziyech, Pulisic, Havertz, and Mount. And maybe Willian. Oh, and Callum. With Giroud and Abraham on the bench.

That means we need to offload Michy. I think there might be takers, but not at a profit.

I also think it's clear that we're working on defense, too. It's possible we end up with a new GK, new CB, new LB. This is FIFA type stuff.

Edit: I think Lampard is fine with offloading: Tomori (loan), Christensen (sale), Emerson (sale), Michy (sale, anything), Bakayoko (anything), Kepa (will likely only be a loan), Baba (wut), Drinkwater (wut wut), Zappa, Moses (anything)

I think he is in love with the idea of having Barkley. I think, oddly, he likes having the option of Alonso on the left as a wingback when we need it. I think Lampard also sees value in Jorginho, though if an offer came through, he'd take it if good enough.

Marina, work it.

Rman3349 and truefan420 repped this.
  8. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kerry Dixon's Boots and lobomojo repped this.
  9. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Exactly, what I was thinking.

10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    lot of press chatter that Havartz all but done with fee and fee structure agreed

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ovskaia-Kai-Havertz-transfer-Bayer-Leverkusen

https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/...-verrueckt-72082092.sport.html?wtmc=twttr.shr

and some Blair Witch utterly terrifying chatter that we want to waste 35 million on Stones who is absolute shit and makes Luiz seem hyper-focused and mistake free

hopefully after Drinkwater and er.. Barkley a fair bit we have learned not to waste 35 million on middling English players

I would take Ake a thousand times over Stones as would reportedly Pep

JimWharton repped this.
  11. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ^Apparently Ake could be available at a cut-rate price. Bring Ampadu back while we're at it and we'll be ok.

Also, are there better places to read Chelsea-related things than WAGNH?

12. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use the Blues Live app. Just compiles a lot of Chelsea related articles

Yahtzee repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5th stand has good content

Rman3349 and Yahtzee repped this.
  14. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #365 lobomojo, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Bent has a point do we really want to see Willian and Son on Spurs counters, he could be worth quite a few points to them and Jose despite the talk, since he arrived they are in Top 4 in form*

"And Bent has now taken aim at the Blues failing to give Willian what he wants.

He told talkSPORT:

“If I was Chelsea I’d give Willian a three-year contract.

“And why would you want one of your best players, who is playing very, very well at the minute and doesn’t look like he’s slowing down, to play for one of your rivals?

“He’s playing as well as anybody right now, so why would you want him to walk out the door for nothing and go and make your rivals stronger? I don’t understand that.

“I’d give him the three years. I would!

“I think Spurs would be in for him with the whole [Jose] Mourinho factor, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Arsenal were interested – they want all of Chelsea’s leftovers… this is one I’d actually take, though!

“But, you look at Arsenal’s front line and they’ve got Gabriel Martinelli, Nicolas Pepe, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette, Eddie Nketiah, Bukayo Saka… there are quite a few there so he might not suit Arsenal.

“He might not get as much game time and signing him could also stunt the growth of a player like Martinelli.

“But as far as Spurs, he’d fit right in there.

“Their right hand side has been a problem, they’ve tried Steven Bergwijn and they’re tried Lucas Moura out there and its hasn’t quite worked.

“But if you now go Willian, Harry Kane and Heung-min son, that changes the whole dynamic of that team going forward.”"

https://talksport.com/football/739187/willian-tottenham-arsenal-chelsea-transfer-darren-bent/

We’ve taken a look at how the Premier League table would look if it began when Mourinho was appointed by Spurs.

1. Liverpool – 65 points
    2. Man City – 56 points
    3. Man Utd – 50 points
    4. Tottenham – 45 points
    5. Southampton – 44 points
    6. Wolves – 43 points
    7. Chelsea – 40 points
    8. Arsenal – 39 points (GD +9)
    9. Burnley – 39 points (GD -6)
    10. Sheff Utd – 37 points
    11. Leicester – 36 points
    12. Everton – 35 points
    13. Newcastle – 29 points
    14. Crystal Palace – 28 points
    15. West Ham – 26 points (GD -7)
    16. Watford – 26 points (GD -13)
    17. Brighton – 26 points (GD -13)
    18. Aston Villa – 24 points
    19. Bournemouth – 18 points
    20. Norwich – 14 points

(I did not independently verify numbers)

also indicates we better get our defense in order to go with a likely far improved attack

Also interesting table since restart:

[​IMG]

https://talksport.com/football/7275...cester-premier-league-table-football-restart/

15. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    All very interesting.

As for Willian, not my money but 3 years is a long time. Re-signing for Chelsea, surely there would be a dip in form. He'll be 32 in less than a month. I agree that he has looked vibrant at times and hustles quite a bit in defense.

Willian, 3365 minutes, 11 goals, 9 assists across all comps
    Pulisic, 2299 minutes, 10 goals, 10 assists across all comps

Do we think Willian's tally will go up or down? If he signs for Spurs, yes, there will be a bump. Yes, he might give them a couple of points. How long will Jose stay there? OK, he's taken them up a bit, but there was no where else to go really and Kane came back. I can't see Jose lasting very long at any club any more.

That Willian salary won't be cheap and I think I'd rather use it elsewhere. Can we replace those 11 goals (3 of which were PKs? earned by Pulisic?) elsewhere? With Ziyech, Werner, Pulisic, CHO, Mount, Havertz, etc? Yes, I think so.

Would I be mad if we did re-sign him? No.

truefan420 and Yahtzee repped this.
  16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #367 lobomojo, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    As far as true wingers we will have Pul, some hybrids, and CHO who though I really talked him up last season seems to have bigger question marks now, part due to injury, but his off field and practice mentality seem to have become a question also.

Willian is a proven commodity here, for us, in this league, and his negatives are already known as well, but his usual work rate is a huge example for younger players so for a third year, roughly 1/6th the cost of a Drinkwater, Bako, deal, really a cheap alternative to spending 40 million north for an unproven player, and/or will allow some or even younger players to develop. (and that spending more likely to leave less for defenders and GK's this summer)

Willian is pure speed, hard to get or coach, and looks no where close to slowing down to mere mortal soon and if we want rid of him after a year or two may get a little money back, or a mostly wage paid loan and more influence to whom and see above paragraph.

With Son Blazing down one side, Willian the other CB's worried about Kane in middle, and his defense, I really do think he could be worth 10ish =/- points to tots over season.

Not my money either but seems the cheapest smartest risk available and would perhaps allow a CHO loan which might be good for all, and Lamp really wants him and I think Supah has earned the benefit of the doubt from the suits for this season's work (though tbf they are already backing him huge in market so I am a bit snarky there)

17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Convert him into a full back. With his work rate he should be able to run the lines all day long.

At this point I'm not actually sure if I'm joking or not ....

Brock Hannsen and lobomojo repped this.
  18. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    apparently, I am getting paid by the word today:rolleyes::whistling:

Yahtzee repped this.
  19. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wanted to see him as a wingback under Conte. It would be truly interesting. He has all of the right characteristics. Don't think we'll see that though.

As for the Sp*rs thing.. they were 3 points away from 6th when Jose was appointed. They are no more or less dangerous than they were under Poch. Next season will be the real point of reference for this argument. Until then, I'm not at all impressed by Jose managing to take CL finalist club into the top 6..

I don't think CHO gets loaned out - has has looked quite competent in his last couple of cameos and has a far more interesting upside than Willian who is a known quantity at this point.

Do I want to see Willy at a rival? Eh.. no.. but does it matter all that much given our current set of wingers? Also no. So.. meh.. let him go where he wants, he isn't worth 3 years

I'm WFH and we're in the middle of a mass layoff so I've got no work to do til next week. Please, continue giving me some reading to do loll

lobomojo repped this.
  20. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    funny, been saying that and that phrase to myself and others for awhile now; I think I mentioned that one match (right before he made a defensive boo-boo, it figures)

But I have been saying that since restart, just put him on at left fb, he certainly can track back, and use that 60-80 million Chilwell money on a keeper and CB til Maatson ready

21. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I miss Del Boy - OFAH is the funniest thing I've seen in my lifetime, Rodney's a Chelsea fan too!

22. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sign Wilian to a 3 year at a lower wage then he's currently at. Sell after year two for a profit. The likes of China or Qatar will come calling for him next year anyways.

23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well if we don't keep Willian, spend the money on Benrahma, liking him more the more I see him, that Gallager acmf for Swansea also looks worth a punt;)

Brentford Swansea on ESPN+ right now, missed first few minutes but a cracking match, love Championship playoffs

Rman3349 repped this.
  24. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I watched the game and I have to say that Ollie Watkins was the more impressive Brentford lad. I would pass on Benrahama tbh. Gallagher and that Guehi were decent for the Swans.

lobomojo and Rman3349 repped this.