I dont think DCU should hire wife beaters (Gazza) or felons

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Soccer-Six-Shooter, Jul 27, 2002.

1. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the same thing, actually. Sure, no one can just quit cancer or MS, so you are right that alcoholism isn't always a terminal or lifelong thing. But, heart disease can be controlled by making a decision (to stop smoking, stop eating certain things, drinking, etc), just like alcoholism can be controlled by making a decision (not to drink). And just because an alcoholic isn't drinking at the moment, doesn't mean they don't suffer from the disease still. "Simply not taking a drink..." isn't so simple for a lot of people. AIDS and other STD's can be controlled by making a decision. IV drug users get diseases from the decision to shoot up. There are just certain lifestyles that prompt later ill-health. Like patients with other conditions, some people have to spend time in a hospital for treatment due to alcoholism.

The definition of disease, even the not-so-commonly accepted ones, runs the gamet from mental and social disorders to plagues and the common cold. I would have to say that alcoholism is as much a disease as most other so labeled conditions.

2. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Then as a society we are changing the definition of disease (as we are many other words).

In the examples you give, the changed behaviors do not elminate the disease. You still have heart disease when you quite eating chicken wings. You still have AIDS even if you abstain from certain behaviors.

I didn't say a behavior couldn't aid you in contracting a disease, but that's not the case with alcoholism (addiction would fit much better).

IN this instance, cirrohsis would be a disease contracted due to drinking. But alcoholism is not. You might call it an addiction, but I don't think it should be classified as a disease in the traditional sense.

And really, it doesn't matter what you call it. It ruins people's lives either way. I just reject the notion that a person can't help himself, because in truth, he can.

3. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Let me say, I WANT Gazza here.

With that out of the way, I can not belive Ray of all people would let Big Paul get into a situation like he did at the Lounge.

I tend to belive Mr. Revelation when he says it happened like it happened. That said, I think Paul needs to rethink his hangout's. I recomend Fresh Fields off of Wisconson Ave.