I dont think DCU should hire wife beaters (Gazza) or felons

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Soccer-Six-Shooter, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    DCU or even MLS should not have players with felonys or wife abusers. That dude beat up his wife real bad. Her arm in a sling, black and blue face, arms. I made it thru life thus far with no felonys or hitting girlfriends, child abusers, bribes, extortion, etc. Its not hard to do. Anyone with a felony is out of MLS. period. No criminal league.

Or if you beat up wife, commited a robbery or shot someone, its o.k, c'mon and play for DCU we dont care, we take troublemakers, as long you can put the ball in net.

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I did not know that the situation was that bad (I am not saying anything like some situations are better or worse). I just was not aware of what exactly happened, as I have never read anything about it.

If indeed it was a felony, Gazza may have problems obtaining a work visa. In fact, I think he may not be able to.

3. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, i definitely think employers should punish people when the courts have chosen not to do so. You know, because it's not enough to have a criminal justice system, we need to deny criminals any possible attempt to get past their crimes and try to be productive members of society. We'd be much better off if people just didn't hire ex-cons once they got out of jail, or even people who were only charged but never convicted of a crime.

4. Big Head Ed

Big Head Ed New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Landenberg, PA
    He without sin cast the first stone. You must be Jesus himself re-incarnated??? I guess you have never done ANYTHING wrong in your life huh???

Would it have been better if he beat her up real good????

Why dont you want him to come??? Are you trying to get a tryout yourself??

In case you didnt notice we have not scored many goals this year and none in at least the past 2 games. Do you want to continue with the way things are going?? Or would you rather make moves and possibly make a run for the playoffs???

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Thank you. We should be worrying about Gazza as a footballer. If he's changed off the field as he's said he has, then that should be none of our business.

6. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Vicar, I've always appreciated your comments and insight but I'm not 100 percent with you here. OJ Simpson had his day in court. If he were a soccer player and could put the ball in the net do you think United should take him?

It's just not that easy and I don't know where I stand on this myself. But just because it didn't happen here in the States and just because supposedly he's had his day in court (and I have no idea if he did) does not mean the league should offer him a contract.

Assuming his ex-wife has a legitimate story to tell and is credible herself, shouldn't her opinion on this? Maybe she wants him playing because it's better for her in some way - financially or otherwise. Or perhaps she thinks it's an insult. If she's a victim and I were Don Garber, I suppose I'd be curious to learn her position before making any decision.

7. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    the man's shown his remose and his desire to become a better person. when you own your own soccer team feel free to not hire gazza...in the mean time at least try to enjoy his on the field accomplishments.

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Murder is a pretty extreme example, but generally, America is a very vindictive society. Perhaps it's not coincidental that we also have a lot more crime. A chicken and egg situation to be sure, but I would suggest that focusing on punishment first, second, and last causes more crime and violence.

9. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    If there's no conviction, there's no visa problem.

10. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    If Gazza has cleaned up his act, and I have no reason to doubt he has, then I say give him a go.
    However, and this was mentioned in one article I read, his employment might well be contingent upon his behavior staying posititve.
    Bail out clauses were mentioned in the article, pertaining to off-field behavior.

People can and do change, all around you everyday, Six-Shooter. You would be surprised indeed.

Because Gazza is in the public eye, his personal life is news, what about on your street, in your office?
    Do you know everyone's personal history, legal included?
    The fact is, that if someone isn't a public figure, then you likely don't.
    So before you ban anyone whom has ever made a mistake in life, from growing, changing, and being productive, maybe you need to think again.
    Mark Dettinger
    Father, productive member of society, sober by the grace of God.

11. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. We already have Rob-It Roy Lassiter on the team, so what's another criminal on the roster?

2. This is America. If you are a professional athlete in America you get preferential treatment. Why shouldn't we extend the same honors to our new guest?

3. Gazza's spouse abuse was a result of a disease. I am not trying to defend what he did at all, but he was a sick man at the time. Alcoholism is a problem that needs medical attention. Unfortunately, Gazza was given free reign, as most US athletes are, and it got him in a lot of trouble. Hopefully he has changed his ways and can be a productive member of the squad and do some good for his new found community

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I agree with Mark and Vicar. When did he beat up his wife? Wasn't it years ago? And since that's happened he's gotten sober and begun to act like a normal human being?

Give the guy a chance. What happened is in the past. If he does it again, he's outta there.

It's not as if he's recently been wanted by the police for writing bad checks or anything. :rolleyes:

13. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Should MLS be any different than any other sport in the US? How many drug addicts, drunks, wife beaters, gang-bangers, etc. have all the other sports in the US received back with open arms? As long as you have the skills in demand, you will have a job.

How many athletes have you seen say "Yes, I did it, I want to put it behind me and move on"? In many cases they don't get into further trouble. Give the poor guy a break. He may be daft but I don't think he is a criminal.

14. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a lot of cases they do get in more trouble, but they just start over at the beginning of your last paragraph and are received with open arms again and again.

15. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Yeah, Andy, sadly your are right, in one respect.
    Over my years in Sobriety, I have watched many come thru recovery, only to drink, drug, and yes, die before they "get it". The sad fact is that less than one in ten people whom come to recovery stay clean or sober for the rest of thier lives, if that many.

As for getting a skate on thier legal problems, most garden variety drunks and adddicts don't. They pay the freight for thier sins, one way or another.
    Aahhhhh, but public figures? That's another story, and not just athletes. Politicians, financial heavy hitters, the Judge's golf buddies........

I don't know all of Gazza's purported past problems.
    And I don't need to. What I am interested in is whether or not he is "living in the solution" today, one day at a time.

Paul, if you need a ride to a meeting, a where and when, or a sponsor, contact me.
    Mark

16. mick12

mick12 New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    Newcastle
    you'll love this bloke

Gazza isnt as bad as you are making out. I come from the same town as him and he has donated nearly $2 million to charity. The time you are refering to about the wife beating incident isnt as bad as you have sad. He did break his wife's finger (which is bad but it was a one off and he didnt knock her about like you are suggesting). He is now actually back with his ex wife. Gazza is loved in England not just because he was the best player we have ever produced, but also because he is one of the funniest men going. I would have him at my club just for the dressing room humour.

Check out some of his pranks below:

http://jamesb007mi6.tripod.com/gazza/index1.htm

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the League can--and should--do, is have a strict disciplinary policy. I'm not saying they don't.
    What I AM saying is what MLS--or any employer--should NOT do; namely, play judge.
    We're not asking the guy to babysit children or care for the elderly. Let's see how he does NOW.

18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the country of second chances, if he screws up here then he sould be gone but not until then.

19. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Re: Re: I dont think DCU should hire wife beaters (Gazza) or felons

I understand your point re giving him a chance, and agree with that. I just wanted to add, for accuracy's sake, that Jesus Himself would not take such a posture, but would offer forgiveness. He has a habit of hanging around with sinners, loving them even.

20. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gazza was not on the wagon on Sat. I was at the Cap Lounge after the game and he was sitting at the bar and drinking shots of whiskey with his agent and Ray standing right there. I was under the impression he was a recovering alcoholic and assumed he didn't drink anymore. A lot of us who were there were talking about it. I'm more than willing to give folks a chance and help if I can but there has to be some individual responsibility (whether folks are athletes or not).

If I had a camera I could have had the "money shot" : As I was leaving Gazza was trying to get a cab outside the Lounge. Something happened and Ritchie can running downstairs looking for Gazza's agent, asking what hotel they were at. As I'm exiting I see Gazza having a conversation with one of "DC's finest" (not sure what was going on and why the cop was there but Gazza's agent quickly showed up and the officer drove away).

K

21. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Oh for God's sake, quit your whinging. If Maradona wanted to come to DCU, you would so take him. Never mind the fact that he has (or has) a tremendous coke habit, and has shot at reporters with a pellet gun. Gazza obviously still loves the game, so he should play as long as he can. Give the man a bloody chance. I don't exactly hear you harping over David Justice or Derek Jeter in MLB.

22. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason Kidd
    Allen Iverson

look it's an imperfect world. Spousal abuse is wrong but happens in all professions without being as publicized as these guys.

23. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Re: Re: I dont think DCU should hire wife beaters (Gazza) or felons

I don't know about Six Shooter, but I sure as hell wouldn't. Sports can do without "stars" like that.

Of course, he wouldn't pass the physical at this point anyway. :)

24. mick12

mick12 New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    Newcastle
    gazza's a legend and i would have him back at newcastle anyday, if only for the laughs. He's gone to America for a fresh start and will earn about $15,000 to $20,000 less than he would in Britain, or even in Saudi Arabia where he was offered more than that.

One of the reasons he chose america was because nobody new him and the fact he wants to get on with his life so why dont you just lay off the man and let him play because he is a superstar in his own right!!

25. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wife beaters? Didn't Cameroon try to wear those sleeveless numbers, and FIFA wouldn't let them? I sure wouldn't want wife beaters on the DC United team.

Oh, you mean wife beaters? I thought you meant wife beaters!

-G. Rex