I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Allan Quatermain, Nov 3, 2003.

1. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Overall I think there's more vitriol directed at Etch and Hudson then there is at Hristo.

I'm not asking this question with an angry or condescending tone, but did you watch the game this past Saturday?

2. agreed - he is not a starter but a firecracker to energize the game at about the 60 minute mark. No doubt he wakes up his team mates.

3. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: Re: I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

Stoitch got DC the goal to get into the playoffs, and is the most productive per-minute player on the team. But any player who puts themselves above the fans should get the hell out of town.

Look man-bitching and whining to the refs is counterproductive. So he didn't get a call. Shutup and get the f back on the field and create another chance. If that's too much to ask him to do, then his ego's gotten so big you can't even talk to the guy anymore and he should get the hell out of town.

Tell me, seriously, that harassing referees is what the great players do in Europe. Didn't think you could.

4. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

I happen to love Stoich. I was at the game and every home game this year and we were always more dangerous with him in the game. And for the last game:

Cerritos was consistently offside and rarely came back to help out the awful midfield, Stoich did.

Marco didn't look to spring nice combos with Convey or Nelson, Stoich did.

Earnie didn't look to just take a shot when we needed one, no matter what the outcome, Stoich did.

Should he have started? I'd rather he super-sub, personally, but he still played a good game. And everybody bitched at the refs that game and I cannot say I blame them, this has been an emotionally draining season and the refs have called NO favors for us. Every game is an away game. Case in point: when the ball didn't move for 3 minutes because of Chicago's stalling and dinkering, who gets a yellow card for it? Dema. Tell me after a season of that you wouldn't wanna yell at the ref.

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with DC Austinite on Stoitchkov, but I thought he got too emotional too early in the match and it may have put him off stride. Say what you will, but Stoitch is still a dangerous player on the field. He's not slow, he even defends on occasion, and it is clear that he is thinking goal with his every move, whether he takes the shot himself or makes the killer pass. No, he's probably better as a second half sub, but I saw him go 90 against Chicago, I believe, earlier in the year and he made two full field runs late in the game. Yes, he is wrong to allow his emotions to get the better of him, but I prefer his fire to Marco's whining any time. And at 50k salary, he's the greatest bargain on the roster.

Let Marco retire at the end of the season. We need his salary to spend on others, including the allocation we should get. Keep Stoitch if he wants to stay - there will no longer be the possibility of having him and Etch on the pitch at the same time. If Hristo is locker room poison, then let him go, but I thought that both in Chicago and here he worked well in practice in bringing young players along.

6. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Fixed your post...

7. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    There have been some matches where he has provided a spark off the bench, to be sure.

Watching the guy kick a ball is incredible. How he can get such power and distance with almost no noticeable leg whip, it just defies description.

But his on-field liability has been pointed, out.

And to me, more problematic than that, is the problems he causes in the lockerroom. Arguing during training, finger-pointing in the lockerroom, etc...

Tell me this (seriously), who decided for him to come here and who will decide if he is to leave? Is he part of the agents connection with MLS? How does that work with him?

8. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    Good point. 50 K, a super-sub, and he seems to work well with bobby. He's not the answer, just a really nice, cheap weapon to have in reserve. A 70th minute icer on games you're winning, a 60th minute sparkplug on games you're losing. Besides, what he could teach bobby's foot to do, ooooh!

9. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

That's because telling people to shut up is not considered an acceptable form of discourse. Argue, contradict, disagree, provide a contrasting point of view, sure. But tell people to shut up? No. They have a right to their views, and to air them, the same as you do.

Imagine our grief and pain...

10. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

Put aside the fact that he berated the official and linesman after they made the correct call Saturday, acted like a fool taunting fans in New England after our victory, broke a college player's leg in a scrimmage out of anger over a call, evicted a paying customer at the Barcelona RFK scrimmage for wearing a Real jersey, yells at teammates...

Here's why I'm ashamed that he plays for DC United... and it would be no different if we acquired Serna or Ruiz. Divers are pathetic:

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2003/1019_dc_clb_ajm/web_ajm_3975.jpg

11. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

Perhaps using a move against a petty north country thug like Williams is not the best example. He hacks and pulls so bad I'm surprised we didn't pick him up.

12. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just dig Hristo, his skills & competitiveness, the whole scrappy ball of wax! That being said, there seems to be a couple of rules regarding using him in a safe & appropriate way:

1) His emotional stability is good for about 25 min. max
    2) He doesn't like any call against the team & loves every call given in favor the team
    3) He seems to need to be whipped into a really good lather to get his head into a match

At present, to me, he looks like a supersub at the 65'.

Also, I wouldn't have him & Marco on the field at the same time. Those two both provide the same thing in great & copious quantities, but both are just too much at the same time.

13. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never agreed w/ Starting Hristo and Etch together, If Hristo will start then sit Etch and let Quintanilla play, Convey became more active one Etch and Hristo sat..you can't have both of them out there. Hristo's impeccable diving is quality. It is...Martins should also start w/ Stewart at the Wing..because Martins can actually win long balls out of the back and he's a hard working striker.

Hristo can still play and long ball as can Etch, but you cannot play Hristo up top alongside anyone..not even along side an Empty goalmouth.

14. ikirov

ikirov New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    California
    yes i watched the game. it was hard to watch.
    unfortunately DC played really bad. nobody, including hristo, had a day.

15. ikirov

ikirov New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    California
    Re: Re: Re: I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

where did you get this idea from? hristo is the only one thanking the fans after a game. (latest -- refer to KC after game quotes)
    since i know him, people have said lots of sh_t about him, but noone had said that before, it is simply not true.

not all great players in europe harrass the referee. some of the greatest, however, do. referees are like teachers. they need to be harrassed and that's why those 2 occupations are the most undesireable :)
    if you feel some inner urge to protect the inner peace of the referees, that's fine.

16. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Agreed, man.

Sigh.