I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Allan Quatermain, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    Here's what I don't get. everyone on the post game wrapup is tearing in to Stoich. He's too old. Too Slow. He needs to be gone next year.

I don't get it.

He was the only spark we had out there. He had a brilliant -- let me say that again, brilliant -- pass to Cerritos for a goal that should have stood. Cerritos wasn't offside. Arguably Nelsen was, but that doesn't change the fact Stoich did something few other people on our team can do.

And he was dangerous in other circumstances. Is Quaranta? Or Convey? Hardly.

Is Stocihkov hotheaded? Yeah. An ass sometimes? Sure. But he wants to win, and even at his advanced age he has more in the way of skills than most MLSers in their prime.

At 50k he's a bargain. I think we'd be stupid not to bring him back. And we need to play him more.

AQ

2. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Running for five out of 60 minutes you're in the game makes you a valuable member to the team. He had a nice free kick and did a wonderful job flamming the AR. Outside of that he walked and bitched.

In your other thread you blame the defense for our lack of offense and then you praise Stoich as our "spark". What team have you been watching?

Stoich is a star shining like a 15 watt bulb. He only stands out becuase the power has been turned off to the rest of the team.

3. Tweaked

Tweaked Member

Jan 30, 2003
    The Hill
    I thought starting Stoich Saturday was a mistake...I thought he should have started the second half like the final reg season game, when he truly was a spark plug for the offense

4. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he might be a spark but I think his behavior makes him more of a liability than an asset to the rest of the team. He and Etch made me ashamed to be a DCU fan on Saturday and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone there.

He's gotta go. He's gotta get out off the field and he's gotta go as a coach, too.

He's poison. Pure poison.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Watch that tape again. Cerritos was offside. And given the lack of post-match complaint about that call from anyone on DC United I take it that the players and the coach's basically agree that the linesman called it fairly.
    Stoichkov was dangerous. But luckily the ref was reluctant to give him or anyone a second yellow. And he also didn't call the penalty when Stoichkov fouled Ralph (?) in the box. Few things are more dangerous to a team than conceding a penalty or going down to 10 men. Yet Hristo tempted both. He certainly is dangerous but not just in the ways that you meant.
    He's a diving, fouling, bitching, whining disgrace. The sooner he's off the team the better.

6. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    youre not alone.

7. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    I was at the end of the Barra farthest from the goal where La Norte resides, and I couldn't see all of Hristo's "discussion" with the AR after the offside call. However, from my angle, what I did see looked like he made contact with the AR, sort of a cross between a bump and a shove. Was this just my poor sightlines playing tricks with me or did he make more than incidental contact with the AR? If he did make contact with him, I hope Hudson has the balls to suspend him himself.

8. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Not sure about the AR, but he was grasping the CR in a wholly inappropriate fashion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Me too, since apparently the league doesn't have the balls to treat dissent properly.

9. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Wow.....that is completely inappropriate. That should be a red card-and like the guy said in your link, for certain players in certain situations, they won't make certain calls.

Thanks for the link. I think we ALL agree the referees need to become much better. The constant whining from players like Stoitchkov, Etcheverry, Mathis, Meola, on and on needs to stop

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you. Losing Stoitch will be addition by subtraction, just in terms of getting rid of all the negative energy. A large part of me just wants the season to end so that the team can get rid of him and Etch and move on.

Bell Biv Devoe. Now you know.

11. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Simon says "Touch your nose"

13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I've been saying for the better part of two seasons that Etcheverry's and now Stoichkov's incessant whining and complaining to the ref's has been a detriment to the team. Cases in point, Quintanilla following the ref around pointing at his arm during the 2nd half delay where Kovalenko got a card. I think Q2 grabbed the ref, too. Convey and Quaranta have both received the yellow for dissent too many times. Stoichkov's behavior on the sidelines is an embarrasment as well. And Where was our "captain" during the S&E side-show? He certainly wasn't there (because he knew he was offsides). And he can't control either of the two. It took the third of the unholy triumvirate of WC94 All-Stars on our team to separate them from the ref. Those two old men, along with the coach need to go if DC expects to develop Freddy Adu.

Thx,

Jay!

14. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hristo during his time in the league has made some truly incredible plays, and has shown a hell of a lot of heart and desire, but at this point I do consider his on-field conduct and attitude to be a disgrace to the DC organization and I will not shed a tear if he departs during the offseason.

BTW, for the love of God, can't anybody properly spell Stoitchkov on these boards.

15. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes. I spell it K R E E S T O

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richth76 said about Hristo:

"Outside of that he walked and bitched"

My thoughts exactly... the sooner this Bulgarian is shown the door the better! He's a liability! He can follow Hudson to the Amtrak station with a one-way ticket to hell!

IntheNet

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Hey Marco, he sure does have a big gut.

18. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Indeed.

As one of the fans in the north stands yelled Saturday when he was walking around the field after subbing out: "BASURA!"

19. ikirov

ikirov New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    California

i agree with you and i will say to all the wussies that are "ashamed" of him for showing the strongest character that they are ever gonna see on the pitch
    that they are the BASURA. that they don't know soccer, that they are living in its american variant, where you kiss the ref's ass, be all polite, smile at the ball boys, etc. i m disgusted by most of the posters on this thread; they call themselves fans.
    crap. i want hristo to leave you all, its a shame he is associated with "fans" like you in any way.

20. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    You want Ivanov back too?

21. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to the tape. He...THEY...were offside.

22. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

You clearly are not familiar with DC United fans. There's not a whole lot of politeness towards refs, ball boys, etc.

Also, most of the posters you bash agree with you that Stoichkov is a very tough player. But being tough, and being out of control are two different things.

I'd like to point out that Stoichkov, for the time he has played this year, is the only effective scorer our team has. In fact, his production would be good compared to just about anybody in this league.

He has two drawbacks, though, stamina and attitude. He cannot run all game. So, I don't like to see him start, but he is a good middle-to-late sub. Strike that. He's a great sub if we need a goal. He can't run all day, but he can still sprint when he needs to. And he creates dangerous chances.

And sometimes his attitude is such that he makes it difficult for the coach to use him to the team's best advantage. He whines when he's pulled (even when he's clearly gassed,) and he insists on starting, even though he cannot go a full game. His yelling at teammates may or may not help. It wouldn't help me, but I'll let the DC United players decide if it helps them or not.

I can understand your desire to laud one of your country's greatest players. In fact, Stoichkov was one of the best players in the world during his prime. That will always be true for him. But it will also always be true that he has personality that many people don't like.

23. kuramiYanko

kuramiYanko New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Re: Re: I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

Agree!

As for all the wussies here talkin crap about Itso it's easy to complain and whine about somebody who did so much for the soccer. So he is rude? He doesn't lick referee asses? He is not nice to the other players? WHO GIVES A *#*#*#*# ABOUT THAT! The only thing that matters is who CAN PLAY, who was on the top of the soccer world while most of the other guys in the team were still projects!
    And how can anybody here even dare to say all the crap about Hristo, abusing him? Who the *#*#*#*#*#*# r u guys to judge him??
    Anyway, the sooner he leaves DC the better. With "fans" like that...
    Keep whining here, dudes, and you will never realize what the real game is

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    We're supporters of his current team.
    That gives us every right to judge him.
    Who the hell are you?

25. ikirov

ikirov New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    California
    Re: Re: Re: I Don't Get It (a Stoich thread)

i am glad that you answered my post so clearheadedly. i m expecting more heated replies later on, but for now it's nice to respond to you.

1. you are right i am not familiar with DC fans, i live in california, haven't been to a game. i judge them on the basis of what they have been writing here. and there hasn't been anyone to laugh at the posters who "feel ashamed" to see hristo yell at the ref and the ball boys. because this isn't the first post to address his attitude. not one time have i seen someone to just tell those people to shut up.
    2. stamina is a very major drawback, you are absolutely right. he is twice as old as some of his teammates. i also agree that he can't play productively a whole game.
    3. we dont know if yellin helps his teammates. true. but iif your adrenaline rises, then does your game.
    4. you right that i am from bulgaria and hristo is my idol. but i dont look to see only the bright side. i havent posted 1 post where i praise him greatly for whatever reason. because i am not here to say how great he is, but to follow his career. and then i see the people who call him garbage, poison, etc, and that really pisses me off. after almost every game he is the scapegoat because he argues with referee yells around. seems like DC fans dont want him on the team. lots "despise" him, and i cite a couple of posters. some voices dare to speak in his favor after an incredible game of his. then the haters are silent. they are waiting for the next game to start again. i started following discussion boards since he started playin for DC. i didnt think people would be so negative about him in their team. in chicago i didnt think that fans felt like this about him, but maybe they do, cuz i never read chicago posts. so thats why i made the generalization about the american variant of soccer.

anyway, ivanov is also bulgarian coming from my team- cska. but he isn't good. so i m not saying much bout him. although i dont know if there's another defender that would let razov score in such a dumb way like namoff did. nevertheless, there was no 1 post to point that out. there were 10s of posts after the game where ivanov didnt mark well the player who scored against DC in OT though. its all good though.
    there isnt more hate goin out at anyone else but hristo, and there isnt anythin i can do, but not to want him to stay in DC for 1 more season. unfortunately. i wanted to like the club... i can't associate with fans like that though.