I can't be the only one..?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Billyhunt, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Billyhunt

Billyhunt New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Hamden CT
    Who isn't pulling all that hard for Timmy. Yes he gave us years of great service. Yes i've met him and he's a nice guy. Yes i've had my Tim Howard shirt for a couple of years now....but he's not a Metro anymore. Walker is our keeper now. I'm a Metro supporter more so than any one player. It might be good for US Soccer or the league for him to succeed, it might not. Regardless Man U are the scum glory hunter team to end all scum glory hunter teams, i wouldn't support Jesus, or my Dad if they were playing for Man Ure. My point? As far as I'm concerned yesterday's cermony was his sendoff. Thank you Timmy for all the great memories but here's wishing you bad luck in between the pipes with the Stretford mob.
    Somone else has to be as sick to their stomach as I am seeing him out there for them, don't they?

2. UpTheMetro

UpTheMetro Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York
    So you don't like Man U, big deal. The guy will always have roots in New Jersey, both on and off the field. I hate the fact that Petke is playing for DC, but I will never wish that he has an awful career there. Players like Howard and Petke off the field are nice guys. They haven't sold out, they just moved on. They gave their heart to the Metro and I will always respect them for it. You know it is possible for Man U to have a bad season even if Timmy plays well.

3. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    No, his sendoff was in Foxboro against the Revs.

4. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you're the only one.

5. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    you're definitely his biggest fan...

...that wants him to fail.

utter stupidity.

6. dickmac

dickmac New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sad and disappointd that ManUre has purchased him right out from under us; but, I wish him well. Good for him! I hope he earns a fortune in England and becomes an international star!

7. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. And frankly, IMO anyone who considers themselves a Metro supporter first but won't root for Tim in England can go screw themselves.

Maybe if you're a lifelong fan of some other EPL team you're going to be torn up over this. But in that case, your gripe shouldn't be with Tim or MUFC; it should be with their own team for not taking a chance on American talent. Kudos to SAF and his goakeeping coach for putting out a serious offer for our player when nobody else would.

I don't really care about MU one way or another -- I suppose that I have been benignly anti-MU over the years, rooting for anyone but in order to get a more interesting competition going. But for '03-'04, I want the top three GKs in the EPL to all be Americans. And if that means that Tim lifts the Premiership Champions' trophy at the end of the season, well, so be it. I'd take that as a compliment to MLS and Project 40.

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players move on. The Metros snagged Howard from the North Jersey Imperials. Did their fans cry?

I wish him well and I wish any team he is on well.

9. WatfordFC Fan

WatfordFC Fan New Member

May 19, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    No, you are surely the only one. You need to expand your horizons. People won't question your loyalty to the Metros because you are supporting Howard at Man U. He's moved onto bigger and better things, and only an idiot would hold an opinion such as yours.

10. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

How can you not support a local Jersey guy who has a chance to make it big, especially if you spent a few years watching him play for your local team?

11. nolram

nolram Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Bayonne, NJ
    OK Grafer, go play with your pants ;p

12. Soccer C

Soccer C New Member

May 6, 2001
    NY
    Are you kidding me with this? I (and I KNOW I'm not alone in this) feel very proud that Tim has done so well and has a bright future ahead. - Especially since we've been able to see him mature and become a professional up close over the last few years. When I saw him on the field last night, I was so happy for him. That's one of OUR boys out there playing with Manchester United. You can't help but be proud.
    I feel badly for you that you can't recognize that. if you're wishing such a "nice guy", as you put it, bad luck, I'd hate to see what you wish on your enemies.

13. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Tim Howard is not in goal,
    I want to see Man U lose every game.

If Tim Howard is in goal,
    I want to see Man U tie every game 0 - 0.

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I say good luck to Timmy, but if he don't wear the Metros jersey, there's not much I want from or for him.

15. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Billy your are the only one.

And you are only the lonely.

There for sir. You are a shmuck.

I wish Timmy the best and I too hope he has a successful season at Man U.

16. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: Re: I can't be the only one..?

fixed your post

17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Billyhunt, you must be a Man City supporter...

18. nedy

nedy New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Jersey City, NJ
    Quite frankly when I watched the game I was completely into seeing how Timmy would perform. I was touched that he looked nervous because I am sure as hell that the sight of that stadium filled to the brim must have been overwhelming.

I was almost in tears at how proud I was of him and how well he did throughout the game. If you can't put your dislike of Man U aside to give credit to Tim for the role he was intended to play than I feel sorry for you.

I really haven't been watching the Premiersip very closely, but it seems that the hatred of Man U parallels with the jealousy that people feel in life in general whe someone or an entire goup is so good that they raise the bar for everyone else. People resent that because it means that they can't continue with their status quo and be lazy.

I say good for Timmy I will root for him no matter what, and any of you who don't want to well you can all kiss me where the sun don't shine.

19. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Same here. In fact, I'd be happy to see him back in a Metro uni, except my wife has a crush on him.

There was this Metro night at the ESPNZone at Times Square a couple years back. Mike was doing his bit at the bar and served my wife a beer - along with a wink and a smile.

That was it.

We also met Timmy that night; he reminded her of Baldwin on NYPD Blue. She still doesn't understand how we could part with "such nice guys."

ManU is kinda like Microsoft, General Motors, Steven Spielberg -- too big, too successful, and they enjoy it too much. I can understand the resentment that creates, without sharing it.

Swapping players with DCU bothers me more, in that it takes the edge off the rivalry, at least it does for me.

I wish Timmy all the success in the world -- and the same for Johnny Walker. There's enough to go around.

20. KLECKO73

KLECKO73 New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    GARDEN STATE

That just about sums up how I feel. I don't like Man U but want Howard to be successfull.

21. Billyhunt

Billyhunt New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Hamden CT
    Actually I am. But that's not entirely the point. I know plenty of Liverpool and Arsenal supporters who also support the Metrostars and I can't imagine any of them are pulling for anyone in a United shirt to do to well. The point is that we root for a shirt and a badge as football supporters not the person. I got behind Diallo, Hernadez what ever jerks we;ve had if they are in the Metro Kit. Old favorites like Chung or Meola mean nothing once they put on somone else's jersey. Why should Howard be any different just because he's on a team outside of MLS? I've hated Man Unites since before there was an MLS. IF Tim comes back someday and plays for us again I'll support him, untill then it is ridiculous for anyone to tell me that I have an obligation to support him or wish him well on the pitch.

22. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Howard is a Yank Abroad now. Every soccer loving American should wish these guys well as they ply their trade overseas, even Jovan Kirovski, a generally despised call up for the national team.

If you're a British ex-pat or non-US citizen, I can understand your mentality. If you're American, then frankly, just weird that you would wish Tim bad luck.