I cancelled my newspaper subscription...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pathogen, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...because they printed an Ann Coulter column in the editorial page. I refuse to let any amount of my money go to that ******** and I let the editors know it. I'll miss my morning paper, but not that much.

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  3. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    "My newspaper dared to publish something that I didn't agree with!!!!!"

No offense, but that's pretty ridiculous.

4. EMKennedyLucio

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 2, 2006
    Chesapeake
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still subsribe to Newspapers? Isn't everything pretty much on the web now?

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that was the point. If Coulter's "opinions" were anything other than thinly-veiled polemics, I'd agree with you, but putting them on the editorial page (as opposed to, say, the comics page) gives her ridiculously ill-informed, playing-to-the-cheap-seats column an air of legitimacy.

And for the record, I wouldn't be too impressed with a paper that put Michael Moore on the editorial page, either.

6. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    For the record, I think they're both insane. But I'm not going to cancel a subscription over either one of them. I would just see it in the paper and say "huh, what does this moron have to say" and then move on with my life.

7. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People like Coulter demean political discourse in America. If you have any desire to reverse that trend, you can express it through how you spend your money.

8. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't even bother reading it. And I could understand your point if it was as you say. But it's not. And yes, I did think about the whole "changing the channel" idea. She has no business being on an editorial page that wishes me to take its paper seriously. I especially don't like my hard-earned cash going to people I find extremely objectionable. This is the only way I can control this small aspect of that.

Besides, EMWhatchamacallit has it right. I shouldn't be subscribing to a paper in the first place. It's a waste of money when you consider what's available on the internet for free.

So, bu-bye Oakland Press. Hello free internet news.

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    My wife and I cancelled our subscription to the Trib when they endorsed Bush. Then again, we had hated that paper for a long time. Staw, camel's back, etc.

What you said.

10. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    If I boycotted everything that would put money into the hands of people I find objectionable I'd be sitting naked in the middle of a field starving to death. ;)

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I despise Ann Coulter as much as the next sane person, but publishing an editorial of her sure as **** wouldn't make me want to cancel a newspaper or magazine subscription. I might use said issue to line the bottom of a birdcage or pick up dog crap when I walk the dog, but cancel the subscription? That's a tad sensitive/excessive.

12. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Conservatives" continually tell us that our "power" as consumer-citizens lies in our ability to "vote" with our "wallet," then, when someone does, the discourse shifts to how that course of action is absurd.

13. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    And somehow around here everything turns into conservatives v. liberals.

Where's the love people?

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Well, it sure isn't coming from Ann Coulter's "editorials"...

15. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I canceled my subscription to the NY Times because they printed details about secret tracking of terrorist money. And that hurt, because my only other serious option is the USA Today.

But I can still get Ann Coulter's op-eds from her website, so I'm happy.

And maybe I'll vote with my wallet by buying Ann's book, Godless, even though I'm an atheist. I'm sure that there's enough good zingers on liberals to justify at least a paperback.

16. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, much like bojendyk, this was the straw. I had nearly forgotten that this papper endorsed Dubya in 2004 and I had really wanted to cancel then, but my wife talked me out of it. Either way, I feel justified in my decision.

The worst part is they front-paged the bitch in the margin as if having her editorial in the paper is something to crow about. Any staff that stupid should be fired.

17. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To each his own.
    Now, if you had mentioned this earlier...

18. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  19. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
  20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Perhaps not, but his next film may (hopefully) be one of the most important in American history. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386032/

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Voting with his pocketbook. Good for you. If a paper put a NAMBLA member on the Op/Ed page and tried to pass it off as "normal", people would be justifiably outraged. The vile, vicious dogsh*t that flows out of Coulter's skanky cvnt-mouth is equally disgusting.

I read the NY Daily News but their Op/Ed page has slanted to the right of Joe Lieberman lately so I don't even read the Op/Eds any more. They inexplicably supported Bush in both elections when NYC is something like 75% democratic. But the sports section is still the best in NY so I still read it. That outweighs the manic rantings of owner/propagandist extraordinaire, Mort Zuckerman.

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Not as disgusting as the above sentence, I'm afraid.

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    She insinuated that women who lost beloved husbands in a pile of dust, fire, concrete and metal on 9/11 were "grief-a-nazis" or whatever stupidazz term flies into that putrid hammerhead of hers. They had the gall to suggest that we weren't and still aren't adequately prepared for a terror attack. Imagine that - expressing an opinion, and a valid one, in a democracy. Novel idea, isn't it?

24. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United

Yeah, imagine eppressnig an opinion in a democracy and not being called bad names. That would be shocking.

Man, you guys make more money for her than anyone she could ever hire. All she has to do is show up in a paper and everyone starts shitting their pants.

If it wasn't for all the people on the left who get pissed off about her most people probably wouldn't even know who the hell she is.

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I can't stand her like most people but here's the major difference:

Family of terrorist attack victims speaking out about our lack of preparedness = GOOD THING FOR EVERYONE

Attacking "harpies" for having the "nerve" to question our country's lack of preparedness = HEY EVERYONE - LOOK AT THOSE ANNOYING B!TCHES. DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO OUR LACK OF PREPAREDNESS. I AM A PAID SHILL OF BUSHCO LIKE FOX NEWS. FEAR THE ADAM'S APPLE!!