I beg of you!

Discussion in 'Elections' started by johan neeskens, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Are you going to contribute to the discussion at all or are you planning on continuing your anti-Johan Neeskens campaign, BJ? At this stage I'm starting to wonder if you're obsessed with me.

2. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The following quote seems very anti-American to me.

If you are trying to convince people of the rightness of your POV, you will be held to a higher standard than those who are trying to oppose but not convince. You must recognize that ANY nationality (including the fiecely independent Dutch) will resent being told how to choose their leaders by someone of another nationality.

3. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    something that NOBODY has mentioned yet is that the winner will likely get to appoint TWO if not THREE supreme court justices.

that is HUGE.

bush, the ultra conservative and ultra religious prick that he is, wants things like CONSTITUTIONAL bans against gay marriage, overturning roe v wade, ect.

so, beyond his administrations overall incompetence, that issue looms so large that i cant believe that so many people choose to ignore it.

its always best to err on the side of caution, and caution lies with liberal judges in this case.

i really just cannot believe that the people of this country are so small minded, or blinded or whatever to accept the kind of ill performing administration that we have suffered through in the past 4 years. its as if 9.11 brainwashed everybody!

in fact, had 9.11 NOT happened, i dont see bush having a chance, its the crux of his entire campaign! which is pretty pathetic, really.

and as for the whole "vote kerry or die" thing, its funny that you bring it up, Sgt Schultz, since it was dick cheny himself who said that a vote for kerry would be a grave mistake.

also, i dont get why people think that bush is such a great leader... cause he doesnt speak well? cause hes "folksy"? cause he "sticks to his guns" (even when he is wrong, which he never admits)?...

its all so unfreakingbelievable. its like living in a political twilight zone.

4. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Pro-Americanism as it existed in the days immediately after 9/11 did not exist in the Clinton Administration either. The point is that America and Europe have gone back and forth since WWII many times, and will continue to do so. There is work to be done on both sides to repair the rifts in relations, but it is not insurmountable.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Oh for god's sake, I'm not telling anyone what to vote. I'm just telling you lot how I feel about the elections. And when someone time and again makes tasteless and irrelevant comments about the Dutch I don't feel the need to turn the other cheek. If he insists on getting nasty I'll be nasty right back at him.

Feel free to criticise the Dutch government and indeed the Dutch election system btw. I don't mind. I'd in fact applaud it.

6. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It makes a difference because it cleans house. During the past four years, political discourse in the USA has really degraded. I don't think Kerry has a magic bullet for either foreign relations or the federal deficit, but Bush's entire management style is rife with incompetence and is based on false communications. The US electorate cannot encourage sustained and systemic failures like the Bush adminstration.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    My point exactly.

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Well, despite that, you're doing a fine job of it, because:

That's patronising. Especially when coupled with your first post of "we can't take him anymore". Remember, we elected him in the first place. You telling us to get rid of him because you don't like him is presumptuous and condescending.
    If before the Dutch elections I begged you to vote against, say Fortuyn (yes, I know he's dead), because we as the rest of the world just couldn't take him, I don't think you'd be overly happy. It smacks of "vote the way we think - we know better".

9. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

No disrespect intended. But this whole thing is hilarious in a way. It sounds like America is the man, and the rest of the world is this nagging wife who complains, "Who're you? You're not the man I married. I want that man back." :)

10. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund

I really can't believe that this thread has expanded as it has. "I beg of you" - what sort of message is that and who is Neeskens trying to kid?

Patronising? Definitely.

11. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    LOL :D

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes I would be happy with that! I welcome any criticism and I'd love to find out how other people feel about Dutch politics. And you can't get more critical of the Dutch government than me at the moment I should think, but by all means give it a try.

Again I can't help that people think I'm patronising. Again it's not meant that way. I can't help worry about the US elections though because it will have an immediate effect on my life. In many ways - just like many Americans I too have a family member in the military. So why do you want to deny me the right to worry about it? Very strange indeed.

13. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo

i LOVE this attitude...

its as if youre standing with a gun to your head... someone tells you "hey man, dont shoot yourself!" and you think "what an **************, trying to tell me how to think and what to do!" *bam!*

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Why do you always think I have a hidden agenda? Good God. I am worried about the outcome of tomorrow's elections, that's all there is to it.

15. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: I beg of you! Vote For George Bush!

I figured it out... they keep a parrot in the white house.

16. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

If Bush gets elected, we will all likely die from terrorism since he will premptively invade every Islamic nation, until someone nukes us in retalition.

If Bush gets elected, women that have been raped wil be forced to give birth to those babies.

If Bush gets elected, he will not be able to pass an amendment to prevent gay marriages, it was all pandering anyway.

If Bush gets elected, he will make it legal to have a loaded shotgun or an AK-47 in your pickup truck.

If Bush gets elected, he will continue with tax cuts that are no longer needed and this will put the US deficit at catastrophic levels.

If Bush gets elected, he will ignore health care problems facing the nation. Medicare will go bankrupt and seniors will not be able to afford prescriptions.

If Bush gets elected, more uncontested military contracts will go to Haliburton and the Carlisile group, thereby fattening his buddies pocket at the tax payers expense.

But mostly, If Bush gets elected, he will be a president that has strong stubborn convictions and will not listen to contrarian points of view. This will lead to many more bad and damaging decisions, as we have witnessed in the last 4 years.

Do Not Vote George Bush!

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Get in line. Who isn't?

Deal with it.

Starting this thread was a patronizing act, whether you meant for it to be or not. I'm pretty sure that the condescending tone you use comes so naturally to you that you don't even realize you're doing it. But you are, and it's annoying.

18. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Bill Clinton went to war in Bosnia WITHOUT UN consent, Bosnia never attacked the US? :)

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's not the issue here. The issue here is the sense of "we can't believe you did X, and we can't take it anymore". Well, the US doesn't care about this "we" business.

Yes you can. People think I'm a sarcastic prick. I can help it. I choose not to.

And the bull in the china shop didn't mean to break anything.

Boo fvckin' hoo. Seriously - you can worry about them all you want. But they're our elections. We're the citizens, we get to vote. Have an opinion all you want, but stay away from offering up your choice. We don't especially care how our election helps the Dutch, or hurts you. Really. Its true. If Kerry ran his current campaign, but threw in the slogan "Fvck the Dutch, those cheese eating clog hopping potheads," I wouldn't care. I'd still vote for him. Because I don't live in the Netherlands.

Grow up and learn to read. You can worry about it all you want. But that's why YOU have DUTCH elections, where you can tell your government to send people home. I worry about the plight of Israel from the European view - I don't tell the French people on this board how they should vote on politicians though.

20. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I resent the fact that people from Illinois are trying to tell Americans how to... Oh, wait, sorry.

21. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Just sent in my ballot for the Green Party. Someone named Cobb, apparently. :)

22. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the salad guy.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    As someone voting for Kerry, and as someone who thinks this election is very important, your analogy blows donkey balls.
    Voting for Bush isn't the equivalent of suicide. And having a random stranger who's only motivation in telling you that you shouldn't shoot yourself is that it would stain her rug doesn't overly impress me either.

24. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know nothing about American Politics, yet are still stating your opinions. HOw bigsoccer-esque. :D

One point here though - it is easier for a President to advance his vision of a foreign policy agenda because Congress and the Senate can often foul up his ideas for a domestic agenda. A lot more interests pulling the prez different ways

25. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that McGOvern was very left wing on the US political spectrum.

and people are jumping on you mostly because of some of the stuff you have posted here before.

speaking of which, Hello Kitty references in 3..2..1