I beg of you!

Discussion in 'Elections' started by johan neeskens, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Of course they all lie. But some are worse than others. Someone who lies about having affairs is in a different category entirely from someone who lies to send his own people off to a war.

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did you ascribe to the idea of a War on Terror before the President, anti-Constitutionally, shaped the discussion that way, with that language?

I'm seriously asking whether you came to an independent determination that we were "at war," and if so, when, or whether you began to think that way when Bush told you HE was thinking that way, or whether you've thought about this at all and simply are parroting.

Because I think that we can agree that to the extent that this is a war at all, we are not fighting it like a war we want to permanently, decisively win at all, are we?

To bring it back to the thread, how Kerry will be better at managing that I don't know; with this election, it's about, for me, removing, the human stain that is this administration, in ALL it's facets (including, for me, making the philosophical mistake of taking minority criminality empowered by energy $$$ and fervent religiosity and making it a global offensive against the guilty AND the collaterally damaged innocent around the globe; I felt that 9/11 was a crime, and that the perps were dead, the conspirators on the run; I didn't see it as a global war to be waged, but rather as an opportunity to demonstrate the POWER of a civilization governed by the rule of law, and the permanent, political-cycle-and-elections-be-damned pursuit of justice and of the unjust), not just its foreign policy. That is, I cannot name ONE SINGLE POLICY that I think is actually good for me, my family and my community (former community, in any case) that has emerged from this administration's endeavours.

Not. One.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Our troops aren't needed in Europe, but it does seem your government wants them in Afghanistan and Iraq.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You know...the more I think about, the more I'm starting to believe that four more years of Bushism would actually benefit Europe. Look at it this way - Europe is finally forced to stand on its own feet and is starting to develop a strong political identity. Europe is united (for the most part) while the U.S. is completely polarized...

Let them torture themselves for another four years if they want to.

5. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    You're a harsh person and cynical too. :D

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Thank God for people like you.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    With all that said, I do hope that you manage to rid yourselves from Dumbya tomorrow... :)

I've made a lot friends in my seven years in Texas who truly deserve better.

8. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    As I have said throughout this post, it is only for the US electorate to decide and not us.

9. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I think what bothers me is how people view this as a life or death struggle. If you don't vote for Kerry, we are all going to die...that is the implication. This is no worse than religious leaders telling someone they are going to hell if they don't believe. The level of hatred is sickening. Bush has tons of faults and so does Kerry. Even when Bush increases funding for HIV prevention and treatment, he gets ridiculed. Nothing he does is ever good enough for some people.

I am not a Kerry supporter and if he wins life will go on. The same goes for Bush.

Guess who provided troop transport in Sudan? Was it the Europeans?

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Good point.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well I can only speak for myself but I just can't believe how a country can even consider re-electing a man who's sending their youngsters off to a dangerous war, while neglecting problems at home.

12. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    If I was a Yank, I'd be voting first and foremost on domestic issues. Foreign policy is of course a very important consideration, but (for example) it's not worth sending the economy down the crapper simply in order to appease foreign opinion.

I know nothing about American domestic politics (so I don't know who is the better candidate on this front), but I'd want to make sure both sides were capable of doing an effective job internally before looking to what's happening overseas to decide my vote. There's a few things substantially more important than foreign relations when it comes to running a country.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Couldn't agree with you more. That's why I wonder why not many Americans seem to criticise Bush for spending all that money on the military.

14. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I would agree with you execpt for one incident in 2001. Domestically the US has tons of problems that need to be addressed.

15. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    National debt is one major headache, but will Kerry be able to dent it? Doubt it.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    On a different note, I saw an interview with former Senator McGovern on Dutch telly last night. European media should show more Americans like him.

17. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    I like Will Smith. So that's 2 good US citizens for starters.
    Any others???

:rolleyes:

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The issue is should you as a country be so quick to go to war if your national debt is that high. Now that the Dutch economy has slowed down even a government purchase of an expensive leather chair for the PM's new office makes the news. Yet in the US, they spend millions on bombs every day and no-one seems to wonder where all that money's coming from.

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Their national debt is that high BECAUSE they went to war. It's a linear sequence. Massive spending on the military and on the range of domestic security initiatives since 9/11, (coupled, of course, with poorly motivated and insanely structured tax cuts) will do that to an economy.

Having said that, this thread is a bit daft. Even allowing for the fact that 85% of Bigsoccer's American posters are Democrats and/or liberals and you are therefore preaching to the choir, the likelihood of anyone in this particular election still being susceptible to any form of persuasion (let alone that from a lone Dutch voice on the Internet) is minimal.

And finally, if Bush loses then it will not be because the American electorate are uncomfortable with his low standing in the rest of the world and Europe in particular.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    This is a message board that has the 2004 Elections as its subject. I don't see 'Americans only' anywhere. And a message board, as far as I know, is intended to deliver a platform on which people can express their opinions. Which is what I've done in this thread: sharing with this community how desperately I want Kerry to win.

So why are you telling me off, exactly? Do you honestly think I'm so naive that I think my opinion will count in this thing?

21. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    He's expressing his opinion that he thinks this thread is daft. :)

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He's in a bad mood I think.

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Have you met Matt? :p

24. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Deficit is high due to the war and tax cuts. National Debt is cumulative from having years and years of deficits.

Foreign opinions do matter and I don't have a problem with Johan asking us to vote a certain way. Debate is good.

I am more concerned about our mounting trade and federal deficits. This is going to kill us in the future. Kerry or Bush are going to have to make some very tough decisions.

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes I've met Mr Grumpy. On WR.