I am New to World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by momentum, Nov 18, 2004.

1. momentum

momentum New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Well Soccer in general!!! How does qualifying work. Now that US has won thier group what happens next? Thanks for the help!!!

2. giggster11

giggster11 Member

May 15, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Welcome to soccer!

Next, we play the Hexagonal against the other 5 teams that qualified from their groups. Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Guatemala, and Trinidad/Tobago. 2 games against each team, Home and Away. Top 3 automatically qualify for the World Cup. 4th gets to play against an Asian team for a spot. Hope that answers your question.

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the sport and the boards! Thanks for the questions!

The most important thing to remember is that as of right now, no one in the world has qualified to play in the World Cup in 2006 except for Germany, who qualify automatically as the host country.

Every region runs their qualifying tournament differently. CONCACAF (North and Central America and the Caribbean) goes something like this:

The round we just completed had three groups of four countries each. The top two countries in each group qualified for the next round, for a total of six participants. From Group A, the US came in first and Panama came in second; for Group B, Guatemala 1st, Costa Rica 2nd; for Group C, Mexico 1st, Trinidad and Tobago 2nd. So those are the final 6 countries from our region.

Next year's qualifying round is sometimes called the Hexagonal or the "Hex" because, well, hex = 6. :) Each of the 6 teams will play the other 5 twice -- one home game, one away -- round-robin format. This will go on throughout 2005. At the end, the top 3 teams automatically qualify for the World Cup in Germany in 2006. The 4th place team will play a playoff game against the 5th place team from Asia for another potential spot in Germany.

Most likely, you'll see the US and Mexico qualify outright. The other guaranteed spot, as well as the playoff spot, are more up in the air. Guatemala and Costa Rica are probably more dangerous than T&T or Panama.

4. BarcaFan

BarcaFan Member

Nov 14, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brazil, argentina are also guarantee.

5. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    Not yet guaranteed. Now Brazil has lost yesterday the other teams have come much closer.
    But indeed it much take a very strange turn if Argentina and Brazil won't qualify with the first 4 in the SA-group (consisting of 10 teams).

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, no one is guaranteed. Probable, yes. Guaranteed, no.

Second of all, don't confuse the person who asked the question to start this thread. Brazil and Argentina are not in our region. My response was only focusing on CONCACAF.

7. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Check the official website for the World Cup 2006... if you look around, you should find details of the qualifying formats for each group in PDF format

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some websites you might be interested in ....

[a href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/index?cc=3888"]www.soccernet.com[/a] - a thorough site with the latest news in soccer worldwide. Mainly for English soccer fans but still has good sections for fans Europe and other countries.

[a href="http://www.fifa.com/en/index.html"]www.fifa.com[/a] - the home of FIFA - World soccer's governing body.

[a href="[a href="http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/"]www.fifa.com[/a]"]www.fifaworldcup.com[/a]This is where you can find information on the current world cup qualifiers. Go to "Continental zone" or "groups and standings" to see the latest qualifying scenarios.

Need some help reading those tables? P=played, w=won, d=drew (tied), L=lost, F=goals scored, A=goals conceded, Pts=points. It's three points for a win, one for a draw and 0 for a loss. After that goal difference (goals for - goals against) decides teams tied on points.

Brazil are currently the world champions and best team in the world. Argentina, Italy, Germany, England, Holland, Spain, France, Portugal, etc. have all traditionally put out fairly strong teams. USA, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Cameroon, Nigeria, Czech Rep, Turkey & a handfull of other European teams all have decent up and coming sides.

9. santa

santa New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    im new to soccer too

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    www.fifaworldcup.com

www.planetworldcup.com

Good sites for the current standings and also for reading about past tournaments.

Also, glennaldo, you don't need to use html tags here, you can just type in the address, it links automatically.

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

aye glennaldo - you from SN right? i remember seeing you on during euro2004 in particular...
    this is tosh1981, i dunno if you remember me...

what gives? you dont post there anymore?

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the FAQ, and you'll learn more about the tags. You'll be able to post images and so forth, once you know. And welcome to BigSoccer, and to soccer in general! I envy you, in a way--I discovered soccer in 1998, and I really starting getting into to it the next year. I remember when I knew nothing, and every game was an education. That was fun.

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey there Tosh, or should I say Scorpio? Yeah I remember you - do you keep in touch with anyone else on these boards from SN? I've seen a few familiar faces. I posted a bunch at SN during the Euro 2004 then my comp got a virus that wouldn't let me post anymore :mad: . Anyhoo fixed that but went back to SN a couple of times .. dunno, the postings seemed to be getting a little silly - maybe it was just the threads i visited. It seems to be a little more active and informative here. Maybe I'll start posting at SN sometime again. I just joined a couple of days ago, who else from SN do you see here?

15. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

hey - theres a SN refugee thread down in the free for all section of the forum here on big soccer...

but even thats dying now...

i come on here to talk about bayern, and since im also a fan of liverpool (football fan, first), i watch a bit of the prem league (luckily, prem and bundesliga is all we get in the US) and post about the same at the arsenal, manu, chelsea and liverpool forums over at SN...

the stuff is pretty good there - of course theres the usual gutter-mouths but ive become quite familiar with most of the quality posters there, so i still enjoy that...

if youre a fan of the prem league, or any of its teams, SN is still definitely worth a looksie...
    and the good thing is the mods out there are practically non-existent (well, that has its pros and cons, obv), so you can discuss all kinds of football (or rando) talk under any board and message thread you like (without getting bad rep, or having to browse through cumbersome boards and searching for threads that have been moved about...

not knocking on bigsoccer - im a member of both forums, but to summarize, both are worth checking out...

fyi, my name is 'wahtziznehm' on the SN boards now...

16. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    These sites are great.

17. Slam

Slam New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    US
    This is not True.
    Germany is Guaranteed.