I am getting very PISSED OFF...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Skizz, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it as an insult. Poor atmosphere is something no club wants to have. Ours has been poor a few times what with all the posh "fans" at the Emirates, but it's definitely getting better. Certainly better than many other clubs, and our away support is still often fantastic.

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think THE GROVE...sorry refuse to call it the Emirates..fight the power, lol...
    has a very good atmosphere and I can hear plenty of singing/chantin
    loud and clear across The Pond via the tele!

It makes me damn proud.

3. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really shouldn't call it the Emirates either; it just kind of slips every once in a while. :(

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  5. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Great example to take one video from a game in our first season at a new stadium where commentators who are known idiots talk about how quiet it is. Poor form mate. Have a vid that reminds you it's not always such a great atmosphere at the Lane:

[youtube]UlVVpViadaw[/youtube]

6. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I experienced loads of singing at the Lane a few years back...

We won the League, We won the League
    At Shite Hart Lane, At Shite Hart Lane
    We won the League at Shite Hart Lane
    We won the League in that shit hole
    We won the League at Shite Hart Lane

and after the Pires equalizer...

You're not singing anymore, anymore (repeat)

There was more as well from the boys in red and white.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    skizz who reads the sun? apart from chavs with triple chins who punch their wives and wear burberry?

the sun is a piece of shit 'paper'

8. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I read The Sun. I might have a triple chin and beat my wife, but I don't wear Burberry. How dare you say that.

I'm a Lonsdale man :cool:

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LOL...I will rep you when I can...that was great!

10. Red Agave

Red Agave Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Manchester
    Patrick Barclay was on the Today programme this morning, and as an aside to an item just before the sports report he was asked to write his life story in 6 words.

"Lager, red wine and more lager" was his reply. As you say, an accomplished writer. :D

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    fair enough my cia/yardie chum

:cool:

you know i love stereotypes

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    fair enough. that was actually going to be part of a longer post, but i got called away. left the vid, though, so ... again, fair enough.

but the point* was (or was going to be) that it doesn't take many times to develop such a 'reputation', for lack of a better word. and there have been those occasions, haven't there? i mean, there was another match** in which i remember the announcers going on about how quiet it was at the emirates - "more noise in the middle of the sahara", or some such. and the arse was up (i'm 99% sure)! it may be overstating it to describe it as 'extraodinary', but it did seem exceptional. they were 1-0 up in that link, too, if i recall. i don't think anyone anywhere would have been commenting if it were a case of just being deflated. everyone hears "you're not singing anymore" at some point.

granted, that rep may not be fair, to be sure. perhaps the emirates is loud alot of the time. almost all of the time, maybe. i don't know, as i've never been. but the point is, even if the reputation is not quite fair, it's not as though it's the product of a complete fabrication. and critics will always take their opportunities, won't they?

still, after re-reading this, i'm not sure i've gone terribly far to improving my 'form' on this thread. i'll move along now.

*in addition, admittedly, to a small dig.

**i'm almost certain that it was not the same match; but it's not inconceivable that this vid could've come from earlier in it.

13. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    I thought you had more sense than this after seeing previous posts of yours. Surely you realise that the library comments directed at Arsenal go along with all the other moronic generalisations. As everyone knows its very hard to disprove a negative no matter how untrue it is basically you and the sky morons really dont give a shit if its right or not do you.

Thats before even mentioning that "sir" trevor francis was one of the cvnts saying we wouldnt fill the stadium and for some reason goes out of his way to say things like this in our games when he is commentating its so easy to do as well I coudl find 5 minutes of any game every week where i could be a cvnt while commentating and say that at a game.

I have been at White hart lane where it was silent most of the game. The biggest "silent" crowd I have been in was 100 thousand at the old wembley. It will happen at every club in the country at times and anyone that says otherwise is a liar or has never attended a more than a handful of game. I remember a Brighton game when the fans knew it was one of those days and after letting in a goal started ironically singing we're not singing anymore! To just single out one club which has one of the largest fan bases as having "bad" or "quiet" fans should be left to the the idiots at sky who said we wouldnt fill the new stadium they still cream themselves if they think they can see some empty seats at one of our games. As said before I cant believe the irony of the original statement as it was Blackburn who play to a half empty silent ground most weeks. How about taking one of those snidey digs at one of the clubs that deserve it sky or is it like kicking a puppy?

I presume you do retain some sense while listening to the "announcer's" comments and dont think that Newcastle have the best fans in the world are a bigger club than your lot and that its Liverpools year this year (again).

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, you have my word that it would never have been posted had i thought anyone would have gotten genuinely pissed about it. skizz called it poor form, and that's good enough for me - mea culpa.

but it's hardly a new phenomenon, is it? you've been considered (rightly or wrongly) to be 'quiet' for years. hold on ... let me put it this way ...

spurs fans are often said to be fickle. and it has to be conceded that they can turn on their own players. that said, i've personally seen spurs boo their own only once. literally every other time i've been to the lane, the atmosphere's been great. and look at how they travel. spurs take numbers everywhere. and no matter how shit they've been over the last ten+ years, the fans kept coming. i could contend that spurs have some of the best, most loyal fans in football, with evidence to support it. but i can't exactly say that there's "no reason" when someone levels the 'fickle' claim at spurs' fans. i don't think it's accurate, mind you, but i know where it comes from, eh? and i can't deny that, having said spurs fans are not fickle, if someone were to post a youtube clip of how they turned on hossam ghaly, it'd be a pretty quick reminder of why some say different.

is saying blackburn could expect the "customary 90 minutes of silence" fair? no. but it's not mysterious, either. if making that point was/is out of line, apologies.

15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, i just got a laugh out of that. :D

16. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I was hoping to get in here before pook did.

Way to prove my point that we have a great atmosphere last night, "Arsenal fans". Even redACTION was silent. Terrible, horibble...worst game I've been to at Emirates since...ever.

I'm expecting a reply to my message now :(

17. canadagooner

canadagooner Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Interesting, apparently the scum travel but they won't buy a season ticket. Mate of mine lived in London 3 years ago, got transfered over here, so he gave up his scum season ticket, confident that he could get one back once the assignment finished. When he decided he wanted to go back in July he appplied to by a pair of tickets and was told that would be fine, but wouldn't he rather have two pairs, they had a special offer!
    Trying to fill seats in the sh!thole I suppose.:D

18. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday match, all the numpties leaving early at 1-0 to beat the traffic, and an early goal always kills the atmosphere. Really nothing more than I'd expect.

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the expert...

20. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    We really need to start singing more than the same four ********ing songs.

21. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of my comments are derived from first-hand accounts of people who are at the match.

22. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Yes I cant deny that we have had the "reputation" from sky commentators to be.

1) Quiet "library" "highbury" it rhymes innit lolz

2) Boring

3) Foreign - can be combined with no 4 as cheating foreign bastids tends to roll of the tongue of the xenophobe.

4) Cheating diving

5) A regular count of red cards under our manager from the 2nd year onwards despite never hearing a count from any other team ever and there have been some that have consistently topped the league of shame.

6) Having no English players after realising that the boring and winning 1-0 comments wouldnt wash anymore despite humorously having English players on the pitch at the time. This actually started when we had Seaman, an English back 4 and a couple of others thrown in.

7) You only win 1-0

Did I miss any out? So now do you begin to see?

23. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Yes I cant deny that we have had the "reputation" from sky commentators to be.

1) Quiet "library" "highbury" it rhymes innit lolz

2) Boring

3) Foreign - can be combined with no 4 as cheating foreign bastids tends to roll of the tongue of the xenophobe.

4) Cheating diving

5) A regular count of red cards under our manager from the 2nd year onwards despite never hearing a count from any other team ever and there have been some that have consistently topped the league of shame.

6) Having no English players after realising that the boring and winning 1-0 comments wouldnt wash anymore despite humorously having English players on the pitch at the time. This actually started when we had Seaman, an English back 4 and a couple of others thrown in. At the beginning they loved the stat that no foreign manager had won the league ...but thankfully that was put to bed rapidly :D

7) You only win 1-0

Did I miss any out? So now do you begin to see?

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yes, but it's not just the product of sky commentators, though, is it? perhaps my point would've been better served by linking not to that video from the man city match, but to this:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516763

hey, there's no club in the world that is immune to criticism, and unless you have neither rivals nor success, it's going to come in some form or another. now, it may seem even more annoying when it comes from supposedly objective parties like sky commentators, but, hell, even gooners gripe about this at times.

sometimes it's quiet at arse matches. it's just the way it is. five points clear at the top of the table, it's not the greatest cross to bear, really.

25. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    These negative comments always eminate from the commentators and media nowadays and then the fans pick it up except for the old ones like this one and the Boring one (which came from a quote from Paisley in the papers originally) and as I said before it was because it rhymed with Library. They have the power to perpetuate them though and do.

Leeds supporters arent really weeds either. It comes from the same era and I really hope that isnt news to you.

Pointless trawling up a thread like that. I could easily do it by linking to spurs forums saying the same thing. I dont need to read internet forums to know every ground in the country has quiet days and I have been sat in a silent crowd at your ground. I could quote a thread saying we were boring or one criticising a player for diving or countless ones on the ethnicity of our players and manager.

You say no club in the world is immune to criticism but I find it hard to think of another club in the country let alone the world with so many negatives that eminate from one source. Which is one of the most powerful media empires in the world.