I am disillusioned after a tryout!

Discussion in 'Player' started by cristianoronaldo17, Jun 28, 2008.

1. cristianoronaldo17

cristianoronaldo17 New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    I tried out on monday for an academy team in nj and I believe that I was one of the best players if not the best player on that field, But I am a really sincere person and I know when I play bad and when I play good, and on monday I played really good. My technique and dribbling was beautiful got past defenders made good passes and good crosses assisted for one goal, there was even one play where i was doing my moves lol... and i came out with a real sick nutmeg and heard the parents wow and one said this kid is really special...I was so confident that I would make it to the next cut....but I didnt:( I emailed the coach saying if I made the list of players that were being invited back, he said no, I even emailed a kid who did make it(by the way he was playing on the other team, and I know that I was better than him, I am not cocky instead I am very sincere but when I know something I do) and he recognized me and told me that he thought I definetly should have made the next cut cause he thought I was really good, he told me to keep my head upp and keep on playing, but I am totally disillusioned, I now feel that I am just wasting my time, though other ppl believe that I am really talented as well as my other coaches, but after that tryout I am just shell shocked cause I know I should have made it, but I didnt i just turned 18 and i feel my years are passing me by and I think im just headed no where...:(

2. clarke_19_rangers

clarke_19_rangers New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Bedlington
    some coach's are complete £$&*-heads and are like that maby you did one small thing to anger him and now he doesn't like you maybe you might of did something to his son?
    if this the case i woundnt want to be on the team

3. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Sounds like you ran into a "hardwork and team before all" coach. If you are as talented as you say, and you don't seem like an arrogant type so I tend to believe you, it sounds like the coach missed out here. It is really a shame how coaches look past skill for how big or fast a kid is and other crap reasons. Keep your head up and move on, there will be a coach along the line who will appreciate your skills and want you on their team.

4. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you arent going to get on with the coach, trust me you don't want to play for the team. I had a coach who i played for who didn't like you as a 'fancy' player. Now, im not fancy all the time, and when i am fancy i pull it off. But he just had a really bad attitude about how i played my game. I can say, i didnt stay at that club for very long!!

appleCORR

5. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Tough luck, but you need to put it behind you and move on. Not being selected for an academy team doesn't mean you're not talented. One thing players like Mia Hamm and Mike Bradley have in common (besides success and talent) is that they always believed that they could do better. They drove themselves to constantly work at improving their game. As a start you might email the coach and ask him politely for advice on what areas you should work on improving. At worst you won't get a response, but he may give you some advice.

6. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you need to be cocky to get anywhere in football because you need to show that you have the flair you may be technically gifted but if they think that it seems you dont have it menttally they dont take you on most times

7. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    It's easy for us to tell you not to get down since we're not in your shoes. But, many of us have felt the pain before. Let it get you down, but then you need to move on. The academy isn't the only high level team you can reach for.

Just as a suggestion, you might want to find out why you didn't make the team. Email the coach telling you don't want to create a fuss, you just want to find out what went wrong so you can work on it for future tryouts. He might just say you weren't good enough, which is an easy way out for him. He might say you didn't work hard, you have a bad first touch, or your attitude seemed bad. These things can be corrected.

8. fhcsoccer12

fhcsoccer12 Member

Jun 24, 2008
    The coach probably thought you were too fancy and would be cocky ocne you made the team. I now you aren't that way, but if you were pulling all that, he probably thought it wold get alot worse (like you would dribble all the time) if you were on the team.

Some coaches like simple players, some like fancy ones. Depends. Even if you did make the team, it sounds like you wouldn'y enjoy it with him as a coach.

9. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    If I were you I'd contact the coach saying something like this:

I understand that I didn't make the cut. However, I am interested in knowing why, not as a question of judgment but simply so I can better my game.

Thank you.

Perhaps the coach is a complete twit and there was something wrong about your game that he picked up and you didn't. Email him and find out why, its not like hes going to..uh, cut you again right? Anyways, chin up, keep working.

Also, I have come to realize with tryouts sometimes its not what you do right that really sticks out, its what you do wrong. Any chance you missed some easy chances or didn't play the smarter ball or anything along those lines?

10. cristianoronaldo17

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    I think I lost the ball like twice, but because they were called fouls. But I do remember one occasion where I got past my marker past and asked for a return ball, and said "c'mon man!" kinda loud lol....but i did said "ok man next time" lol..maybe they thought i was too pushy or something, but i thought coaches like to see that stuff, cause it shows u have personality...anyway i will take that into consideration(emailing the coach)....but what really hurts is that I tried out for this team last year...but I was a a bit of a b!tch...a good player, but scared in some situations, and this yr I really grew up and talk alot believe in myself alot, and after the tryout was done I was confident, when I didnt get an invitation back I was shocked...cause I truly believe taht I deserved one, I mean when I got off the field some guy there smiled at me and told me that I was a good player we spoke for a bit and he was the director of the club. so i thought i really was gonna make it....but idk...things happen for a reason...im just gonna work harder...and try to get into something better...any other suggestions?

11. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Just remember that sometimes you truly do get unlucky. It just happens in tryout situations, sometimes your just missed unjustly.

12. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    don't worry, just keep training and look for other teams

I faced situations like that sooo many times........the worst was a tryout that I completely dominated (5 goals and 2 assists) vs 1 goals by the other team along with having 2 assists in an exhibition match with the club winning 2-0

even though I dominated, he chose not to select me....his reason was that I may get injured a lot in the league

so what did I do? nothing....just went to the gym weekly and focused on training

13. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Injured a lot in the league.. Thats a weird reason... did you seem weak to him or something?

14. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    yeah kind of.......I returned from 12 months after ACL surgery + in the tryout I got hit from behind after making a no-look pass.........and had to come off for a few minutes which I guess help make up his decision

15. cristianoronaldo17

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    I emailed the coach back and he said this...

"yes I remember you.

At this point we feel that you are not ready for the U18 Academy.

I could not give you specifics as to what you should work on as we are simply evaluating players we feel show enough qualities both technically and tactically to be considered for the next level.":(

wow ...dont want to be a bastard....but technically i was the best one there...and tactically...i do know the gamee well...i dont knoww wat to say guys.

16. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    don't sweat just focus on your training and you'll improve more:

now when he is talking about technically........most coaches are referring to stuff like vision, making runs, turning and ball control...etc. not dribbling skils (those are something you do after you master basics)

so I'm curious what kind of style you played in the tryout....did you play like cristiano ronaldo and touch the ball like 4-5 times before making a pass or kick?

what position were you playing mostly? Did you come back to help defend? Were you vocal?

17. cristianoronaldo17

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    yeahh very much like cristiano ronaldo:eek: but only when I have space...if there is a better oppurtunity I usally play the ball first time. I dod do tricks like stepover, elasticos, and heel flick to change directions which probably made the coach mad or something i dont know...technically i do make timed runs i have good vision...and great ball control....wat probably killed me was I misunderstood when the coach told me to play up I thought I was playing forward,,,but then i realized I was playing midfield....so I just defended the and pressured the defenders:( which than i realized i was playing mid and came down to defend..should I email him saying something like I was confused and thought that the assistant told me to play up so I thought he was telling me to play forward

18. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Tryouts aren't a good time for showing flair. I don't know whether you missed out on available passing options while doing some of your tricks. Even if you didn't, I can tell you that when I see someone in a tryout who I see as trying to do too much on the ball or trying to do something that's unnecessarily difficult, I lose interest quickly because it makes me think they will be a selfish player. Clearly, that's not always going to be the case, but in a tryout setting, a coach doesn't usually want to gamble on a guy that could be a headcase or a cancer to the team by unnecessarily screwing with the ball while others are busting their butts making good runs and putting you and themselves in good position. Showing tricks in a tryout makes you look like you could be more about "flair" or that you might be selfish on the ball rather than playing fundamentally great soccer. That, plus yelling at another player would be huge red flags for me. Next time, keep tricks (even something as simple as a nutmeg) to a minimum, and show your skill through your ability to consistently trap, touch, and pass the ball with the perfect weight, precision, and compsure, as well as your ability to make good runs off of the ball, your ability to create space for others, your effort, and a good, positive rapport with your teammates. I've seen lots of guys who can do really fancy stuff, but who aren't particularly good soccer players. 99% of soccer is being able to do the simple stuff really well, and 99% of making a team is showing that you will be a good teammate who will help everyone reach a common goal. It sounds like you might have the extra 1% that a lot of guys aren't lucky enough to have. Once you make the team, there will be plenty of time to show the "special sauce" once you have a better feel for the team. Sure, you need to play your game, but a tryout is a a short period of time, and you want to send the right message.

These are just my thoughts, and others may disagree. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I played in college, coached a college team for a while, and have managed a very high level men's team for the last 10 years, so I have been through both sides of tryouts many times.

Good luck. Keep your chin up, and keep improving. You have a lot of years of soccer ahead of you.

19. cristianoronaldo17

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    Yea sir, I guess you could be right, because the guy that made it was not a really "gifted" player, he was quite average, but saying that im incredibly talented and im the next big thing, but I defienetly had more than enough potential to make the team...but maybe he should have taken into consideration that kids are a bit nervous in tryouts, but i had the courage to play my game, and it wasnt that I was only focused on tricks and flicks, but I also assisted on a goal which i beat two defenders and looked for the pass ans soon as I saw the run I crossed it straight to his foot. and it was in, but maybe youre right and I could play more simple, but for me thats really hard because its just the way i pplay, like i natuarally enjoy 1 on 1 and skillls

20. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think this is the problem....don't take it the wrong way, but playing like c ronaldo is something you can do after years of practicing in a team environment and you are very familiar with your team and can effectively contribute to the coach's game strategies/tactics.

For tryouts, try to show your mastery of the basic skills.........keep the number of touches to less than three ideally (that means control in your first-second touch and pass/shoot in your next touch)....go for wall passes, cross-overs, through balls from a horizontal run.......etc

when it comes to advance plays like elastico or nutmegs, those moves should only be used if your are in a tight corner and want to get out, or want to make a cross/shot. They should occur instinctively, not on purpose. If you are doing it on purpose, your wasting a lot of time on the offensive, and many of the defenders are already back in their half to close down your team's attack.

21. cristianoronaldo17

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    But thats exactly what I did, I did an elastico, only when I was at the corner so i did it with my right foot in order to cross with my left. And I have been playing like this in a team enviroment for a long time, just that you are right and I should have played more simple, but most tryouts I went to I played my same style and made the team, just this tme is was different:(, I should have kept it more simple, but how can you seperate yourself from the rest just by playing simple? I mean I like to express myself and I find it hard to play simple cause I know the basic really well..I really dont do skills to humiliate players, I just do them to take a better shot or a better cross or pass. I recieved an email from a kid who made it and he said "And den the second half yu played right mid right?? Yu were actually
    really good.. I thought yu would of def made it =/ ... yu were on my side the
    2nd half I remember" i told him congrats for making it and he said "yea I thought yu would 2 man but hey its not the end of the world bro.
    Keep playing yur a really good player."

22. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Are there any other teams you can tryout for? With your age its getting really close to the end so to speak. I would try to find more teams to tryout for, prove the coach wrong. Keep trying.

As for the tricks, keep them at the bare minimum. I'm by no means a fancy player, I can't do really any tricks, I don't really see the point, I just do quick touches and passes, pass and move lol. Try to work on looking around the field before the ball comes to you so you know where players are going.

Look for more teams to tryout for. If there isn't any then maybe try emailing the coaches of the teams asking if they have any spots open and if you can do a private tryout. Don't give up because one coach didn't select you. If you really want to find a team try looking farther away (an hour or so). I know guys that played on teams over an hour away from their houses. Good luck.

23. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry about it man. I was in your same situation a year ago except I'm a little younger. I tryed out for a premier team and thought that I was one of the best there. I am way too hard on my self at games and tryouts and everyone sees it, so when I think I played good, then I know I had a really good tryout. And they cut me. I had no idea why. Now I'm on an academy team that would blow the other team away and the coach and the whole staff have a ton of trust and confidence in me when I'm out there, and I have a big role on the team. Even a parent from the other team told me he had no idea why I didn't make it. But just keep your head up because now I am on a team that the other club can't even compare themselves to.

24. Lurko

Lurko Member

Aug 31, 1999
    DC area
    Sounds like you're not as good as you think you are.

25. cristianoronaldo17

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    Yup....this is what kids from the tryouts that made the next cut said about me"honestly i thought you and the other kid that was also playing left med,were going to be chosen i thought the tryouts were not good i didn't even play the whole match like some people did, and i still made it, but you played good man i dont know why they did not select you, but . do you have msn messenger? " another said. "And den the second half yu played right mid right?? Yu were actually really
    good.. I thought yu would of def made it =/ " i told him congrats for making it and he said "yea I thought yu would 2 man but hey its not the end of the world bro.
    Keep playing yur a really good player."... yu were on my side the
    2nd half I remember" but i guess im not good, anyways guys a person who is a real winner, passes all their obstacles no matter how hard it is.. im just going to work harder, and start a new training program a side from my team in the next week :cool: