I <3 Bob Bradley

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Adiaga Two, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured I'd make some equal time here tonight.

I like Bob Bradley. I think he's a solid USMNT team coach. He's calm, smart, and is not trying to get his name in the papers.

He's had his eyes on World Cup 2010 since day one, and his much maligned roster decisions reflect that. He's called in everybody who deserves a look, regardless of age or geography. His son is a good soccer player, too, so he called him in eventually. He knows that there are few players on this team who are truly indispensable, so he gives guys who are actually playing with clubs rest when they need it.

There have been no locker room schisms or scandals on his watch, and the team really seems to get along well.

He beat Spain.

A lot of folks on this board seem to wish he'd field a 4-3-3 with Kaka, Ibrahimovic, and Ronaldo up top every game. I think the empty bucket suits the USA's strengths and covers up it's weaknesses well.

Yay, Bob!

2. keller#1

keller#1 Red Card

Feb 16, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    are you a mexican fan? because otherwise, it's just stupid timing

3. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&amp;G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we lost, but lets be fair- BB has done a whole lot for this team, and has brought them to places we'd never imagine the USMNT being ever before. Bad timing for a thread like this? Sure, but today's loss wasn't the effect of a bad coaching job, it was a lack of effort and trust between our players. We found a whole lot about our team and potential starting players this tournament, and that was the US' goal in the first place, to solidify reserves and sort out open roster spots. It's a good learning experience for the guys who were out on the field today, and for some it was their final chance.

I couldn't ask for anymore from the guys who played today.

4. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could ask for a lot more :eek: I figured they might be outmanned and I was pleasantly surprised when they came out playing pretty well.

Completely breaking down and giving up 5 goals in a half? Disbelief, but yes its not Bob's fault that this happened.

I think one poster said it right, when he said if there were such a thing as timeouts in Soccer, the US could have probably used more than one.

5. Yukon Cornelius

Oct 24, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have to chime in - I keep avoiding wading into the Bob drama for two reasons:
    1 - I figure he pretty much has the job sewn up until next summer, and
    2 - damn, it's a lot of drama on this board lately.

But I like Bob. I don't want to say it only if we win.

A lot of people talk about firing him without offering any sort of reasonable alternative. I mean, sure, if we could get Hiddink or Pekerman, great. But Guus has a job and I know Sunil at least talked to Pekerman before he hired Bob. If there was a legitimate chance that guys like that were interested in this job at this pay, I think it would have been offered.

I'm really tired of reading the words "Fire Bob" without any sort of suggestion about who we should bring in. I mean, of course, anything more specific than "A European Coach".

People talk about Bob's rotten substitutions.
    I saw him make a substitution against Egypt - moved Dempsey up top. About three minutes later, Dempsey scored.

Substitution against Spain - in comes Benny, up goes Dempsey. Five minutes later, Benny starts a move that ends with Dempsey putting us up 2-0.

The first Honduras game of this tournament was won by two of Bob's substitutes. Cooper has scored - I think twice - this tournament within minutes of being subbed in... but somehow that goes to prove that Bob is an idiot, and not that he's a) giving Cooper a chance, and b) putting Cooper in in situations where he's likely to make an impact.

In my mind, the USMNT has been on a steady track of improvement since 2006, and I think Bob deserves a fair share of credit for that.

He got beat today, no doubt. But I think he's the right guy for this cycle.

And I'm happy to say this after a loss. This way I'll sound like much less of a poseur if I point this out after our next big win.

6. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Bob is a good coach. His biggest weakness? Managing substitutions (more about how long he takes to do them then what he does with them).

7. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not Bob Bradley hater but... He does have weaknesses as a coach.

Unfortunately, there aren't really that many better options at the end of the 2006 cycle. Klinsmann hasn't proven that Germany 2006 wasn;t a fluke, hes been disappointing at Bayern, although not entirely his fault.

Pekerman; great great youth coach... but i think he made some horrendous tactical decisions that cost Argentina against Germany. Like subbing off your creative players for defensive ones. His uses of substitutions are worse than BB's.

Sven-Göran Eriksson has proven beyond a reasonable doubt, that acquiring a proven foreign coach doesn't necessarily spell success. After all, Mexico brought back Javier Aguirre.

We needed a coach who knew the system, familiar with the players, have a proven track record of winning and was not controversial. Bob Bradley seems to be the guy. The guy is not perfect but he has proven quite competent, dedicated, and daresay even "methodical" in his coaching.

8. rep21

rep21 New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can anyone seriously think love Bob Bradley after one of the worst losses in the past, what, 29 years?

How can anyone in their right mind call Bob Bradley smart. Tough, sure. How does that song go, if you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough?

9. tottenham1115

tottenham1115 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Bradley isnt the best coach in the world but I think he does incredibly well with the talent that he is given. He's not the greatest in-game tactitician and has his fair share of odd player choices (Klestjan, Bornstein and Casey Im looking at you) but hes kept a good record and is trying to develop younger players. He may not be the guy to lead us to winning the world cup (which wont happen for a while) but he will be the guy who makes sure we get there and at least try to give a good showing.

10. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In before the lock.

11. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    He actually moved quite quickly today, unfortunately, his options off the bench were just poor.

12. Metallifreak

Metallifreak New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Santa Ana, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bob Bradley works well under pressure.... and now that I think of it.... he did go the distance in this tournament.... the team lost in the finals.... I am proud of the Team....

but I think Bob should still be pressured to lose his Job.... our best attribute we have right now is that the team can do well under pressure.... The US may have been to overconfident today.... considering that we have a winning record against Mexico in the past ten years....

I am expecting a minumum of one Point when we leave a Azteca.... The US did it in '97.... they can do it again....

the Game will be Epic.... Bob has to realize that this game won't be easy and that he needs to really go into this game prepared.... there can't be a repeat of the Costa Rica game....

Bob has my full support from here until the end of the 2010 WC.... there will be a four year extension in support if we win it