Hypothetically speaking ...

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by KCWiz, Jul 2, 2006.

1. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I'm a fan of all things US soccer. Sell me as to why the USL is better to follow than MLS. (I already think that it is, but just want to know what you all think).

2. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because next year, I'll have two teams in my hometown (Raleigh Elite PDL and new Cary USL-1 team). Support your hometown team. If it happens to be MLS, that's great, if not, there's some fun soccer to watch locally with USL all over the country.

Also, you might enjoy this series I've been doing on my blog about players that started their careers in USL...

http://trisoccerfan.com/nucleus/index.php?catid=17&blogid=1

3. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Because I live in Atlanta. No MLS within a 10-hour drive.

Because we don't play on a football field, baseball field, etc.

Because we get to talk to and interact with the players, scoring goals on them at halftime, etc.

4. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfrectly understandable. Too bad so many soccer fans in Seattle and the Twin Cities don't feel the same way.

That's all well and fine for this year, but what would be your response to this reason in previous seasons? And what do you say to Pittsburgh fans? :)

5. Hydrapelican

Hydrapelican New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because at the rate the MLS is imploding from the weight of prima donna egos (dorkayeff, Johnson, donovan) and "ownership" that is fairly clueless...the USL is quietly developing into a solid "fan" based league and also a development league for Europe...and European teams are investing in USL teams...ala Alaves' decision to buy into the SF Bay Area market (which should be lucrative btw).

I think that there is a reasonable chance that the MLS will file bankruptcy in the next 5-10 years and go by the wayside because it believes that it can be a standalone league and keep its talent from going to Europe. The Europeans that are investing in USL teams will move their players around with transfer fees etc and we may actually get leagues with promotion/relegation etc that gives local communities that support teams a reason to get behind their team. The transfer fees also help the local club to benefit when a good player leaves...and they can use that $$ to reinvest in the local team.

Europeans also have much more experience running successful leagues than american entertainment companies. The reason that they are so interested in SSS's that can double as entertainment venues is that its a clear hedge for them if the league folds.

6. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra

Seattle has about 6365468473 sports going on during the USL-1 season.
    There is alot of things to do in the Puget Sound, and the Sounders F.O. does little to attract them.

That said, I support the Sounders because they are my local team.

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned Seattle and Minnesota specifically since those are two markets that have had decent soccer support in the past, but appear to have many potential fans waiting for something First Division instead of giving their local club a chance.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home town team,

Plus its the Battery and they have been doing things right by the fans for years with the Stadium, ticket prices, the pub, accessible players, up to date webpage and internet broadcast of most every match, working with local youth clubs and not in competion with them, international friendlies.

I still want MLS to succeed but Im happy to stay in the USL.

Now if we can just get a winning season again.....

9. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Probably because the KC Wiz are in their last year in KC before lackluster attendance, no stadium and an owner who wants out of KC finally means the Wiz will be a trivia question along with the Miami Fusion, SJ Earthquakes and Tampa Mutiny.

Maybe a USL 1, USL 2 or PDL team will fill in for awhile.

10. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    But which one? I live in Wichita. The only glimpe we've had of a USL squad was the Newman Jets about five years back ...

I've always had a thing for Rochester since the 1999 USOC.

I like the Battery since they have possibly the most badass stadium in this country.

11. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Honestly I think its best to support the local team, be that USL or MLS. Even if either league went under, I have faith that those teams that built stadiums, would still be able to operate in whatever new league was organized.

All that said, I have never lived anywhere near either MLS, USL, USL2, or PDL that I have known about. So I remained basically neutral in most affairs, expect USNT.