Hypothetical UNCAPPED starting XI

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sandon Mibut, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For $hits and giggles, I put together a potential starting lineup if, for some odd reason, Bruce wanted to start at the same time 11 players who have yet to be capped at the senior national team level.

-------------Twellman-Buddle
    ------------------Martino
    ---------Gibson-------------Quaranta
    -----------------Hernandez
    Barrett Gibbs Curtin Suarez
    ------------------Brown

This is harder than I thought it would be as there are a lot of players who I'd like Bruce to take more of a look at, like Steve Ralston, Tim Howard, Brian West and John Thorrington.

Taylor Twellman at one forward is as obvious as Pamela Anderson's boobs. Edson Buddle, IMO, was the third best forward in the league much of the season and he has earned a look.

Kyle Martino is one of the few Americans who plays the central attacking mid spot for his club; for that reason alone he deserves a look but he's also played well enough that I want to see what he can do at a higher level.

Grover Gibson is left footed and has played left mid sometimes in Germany but he is also chosen because, well, there really aren't that many uncapped lefties who are worthy of a cap.

I think Santino Quaranta will ultimately end up as a right mid, at least at the international level, and will likely play there for the Olympics. Plus, there aren't many other uncapped righties out there, either.

Daniel Hernandez is maddenigly insonsistent but when he plays well, he's an effective and tough center mid who is good with the ball, a la Mastroeni.

Wade Barrett is the likely defender of the year in MLS so his selection at left back needs no explanation. Cory Gibbs I've wanted to see for a year and a half and while Jim Curtin ain't pretty, I love his toughness and the fact that he's 6-4, which can come in handy sometimes. Ryan Suarez, everyone knows I rate very highly.

Adin Brown is finally healthy and it's not a coincidence that he's finally living up to the promise he showed early in his career. He's got great size and is a great shot stopper and I'd like to see him get a chance as someone is going to have to play Friedel to Howard's Keller. (Or is Howard Friedel?)

I'd like to see others give this a shot but again, it's a bit tougher than it looks.

2. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    looks like we have a serious lack of quality at the holding mid/d mid position for uncapped players..Hernandez on the nats is enough to make one shudder. Do we have any other promising d-mids in the league coming up? Jordan Stone? Kelly Gray? lets hope we can develop a few into some quality players that are national team quality.

3. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Agreed about Hernandez ... I'm a little surprised that Sandon didn't list Vagenas instead. Even so, it doesn't seem as if we'll be looking for uncapped d-mids any time soon. O'Brien, Mastroeni, and Mulrooney should have things covered (all are younger than Hernandez).

4. Greywacke

Greywacke New Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Huntington Beach
    Vagenas has already been capped, so he doesn't make the list per Sandon's criterion, but I agree that he probably deserves another camp callup.

http://www.sams-army.com/index.php?Mlist=match&Mid=747

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralston has already been capped.

6. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has mark chung been capped?

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, and I believe he's actually announced his retirement from the national team if I remember correctly.

8. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Oh brother...

Watched much playoff MLS soccer this year? Maybe you caught a few of the Revs game during their 5-0-1 streak to win the division? Watch much of the Metros in 2000 when the Metos had one of the league's most dominating defenses? Might've changed your mind.

And BTW, MLS Confidential reports that Hernandez will be in the U.S. camp prior to the U.S./El Salvador match in RFK. Then again, maybe Bruce has just lost his marbles...

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Davis can play on the left side in place of Gibson if you're looking for an alternative.

Davis may be a tad inconsistent and may not play much defense, but he's got serious skill and will be capped one day (barring some disaster of some sort).

10. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I've watched all the playoff games except one wed. night matchup...You are a Rev fan of course you are going to say this about Hernandez..outside of his free kicks he hasn't shown me much in the way of serious skill that sets him apart from many other players in the league....Bruce has called in Chris Albright to camp before.....this proves?

Also doesn't the Revs streak coincide with arrival of a player by the name of Kante..and Llamosa finally returning to health. I seem to remember Hernandez being around when the Revs were being hungout to dry.

11. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No knock on Sandon, but I think I'd rather see this lineup instead:

--------------Twellman-Buddle
    -------------------Martino
    -----------Davis---------------Kingsley
    -------------------Gray
    Barret----Robinson-----Pierce-------Suarez
    ---------------Brown

12. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A left mid worth a look is Ramiro Corrales. At keeper, you'll never beat Joe Cannon.

Buddle and Twellman would be awesome.

13. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes I generally make a habit of not thinking before I post, I'm sorry I'll try to not let this happen again.....

read the facts..now do you honestly believe that hernandez is responsible for the revs comeback at the end of the season? or could it possibly be the Revs players as a whole finally learning Nicol's system...The arrival of Kante...Llamosa becoming healthy..

anyways at least have a little backup before you come at me again with your attempts at being witty. I enjoy soccer discussion based on facts, not someone trying to belittle me because i don't agree with them, or have the same favorite players as them.

14. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Kante's a very good player but not the reason for the Rev's turnaround.

Llamosa's been solid - but a role player.

The Revs turned around when the team completed a conversion from a kick and run team that used frantic man-to-man pressure on defense and uneven wing-play and longballs on offense, to a team that used a holding midfielder as an outlet for the defense and a feeder for the offense. Guess who the midfielder is? I think Bob Bradley knows...

BTW, I deleted my earlier post. Something about the way I typed it made it seem sarcastic.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Corrales, believe it or not, has been capped 3 times already. Steve Sampson capped him against Peru in 1996 and twice against China in 1997.

16. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I like the lineup.

Although, the idea of Davis and Kingsley as suggested in:

is great. Quaranta starts and Kingsley comes in for the second half.

Now about Rusty Nail, sorry he is never going to see the light of day for the USA Nats!

17. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    ---Adu Adu

Adu Adu Adu

--Adu Adu

Adu ADu Adu

-----Adu

Unstopppable!

18. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Anyone mention Rickets yet?

19. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    He goes in for Adu in the 65th minute if we're down. :D

20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh yeah. Many, many times, though not much recently.

21. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    I posted this in the other forum, but it probably fits better here:

I suspect you could throw a lot of MLS names into a hat and pull them out at random and be as close to being right as anyone else. As I mentioned in another thread, I think Bruce starts from scratch on this one and I wouldn't be surprised if no Euro based players are included save perhaps Gibbs or Cherundolo.

Here goes my guess:

Tim Howard
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Ryan Suarez
    Corey Gibbs
    Steve Cherundolo
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Bobby Convey
    DaMarcus Beasley
    Santino Quaranta (If healthy and in-country)
    Taylor Twellman
    Jeff Cunningham
    Landon Donovan (If in-country)
    Kyle Martino
    Brad Davis
    Wade Barrett
    Joe Cannon

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    In terms of the El Salvador game Nov. 17, it should be pointed out that that is the same day as the U20 team's final CONCACAF qualifer in Charleston (vs Canada). So, the likes of Convey, Quaranta, Eddie Johnson and Justin Mapp (not that he's earned a call-up) won't be available.