Hypothetical Situatuion (AKA: What would you rather have)

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by bigdush, Dec 4, 2003.

1. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Here's the scenario:

The Rapids (hanki) contacts a youth player that was one of the US's better U17 players at this past world youth cup (basically asking him if he wants to come to the big CO and play for our Rapids). Let's say he's a very good college freshman.Given hanki's (in)ability to develop young talent would you rather:

1) Be selfish? Hope that the Rapids sign this player for the "maybe" soon future good of the team. (Of course this option assumes that the youngster can play through the shortcomings of his coach).

2) Be unselfish? Have him go to a MLS coach that is better at developing young talent for the possible future good of the full US national team.

I think that it is pretty obvious what I would rather have.

2. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    A slight adjustment to your options.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am selfish. There will be plenty of national players who come up through the ranks of other programs. If the Rapids ruin one, we won't notice.

4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I would much rather see the US win a world cup than the RApids winning a MLS Cup so ... Let's develop our youth in this country or send them to good foreign teams to develop them so that we can become a soccer power.

i.e. keep them away from Mr. Hanki. He will destroy them.

5. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Hmmm.

Young player that was one of the better performers at a U17 world championships comes to the Rapids under Hankinson's tutelage?

Sounds a lot like Beckerman.

6. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    When (at what age) did beckerman come to play for the rapids?

7. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    kyle was 20 when he came to rapids. he unluckily got stuck his first two seasons with a coach that hated to play youngsters. thank god miami folded for his sake...

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the Rapids, but the country comes first.

9. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    To be fair, Beckerman sat out the majority of his second season with Miami due to a broken leg.

And it's not like The Wank blessed Beckerman with playing time in his first year, nor did he jump at the opportunity to do it this year.