Hypothetical: McBride gets hurt vs. Czechs...then what?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ronaldo's Idol, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Some might say, then we're up shit creek without a paddle. And that may be true.

But really, what would we do? How would our tactics and formation change?

And I just want to make the point that McBride getting hurt is entirely possible, if not likely. He could very easily have severe head to head contact with a defender and be lights out for the rest of the tourney. Or pull a hammy or something else. Let's just say it is at least somewhat likely and therefore worth considering.

Of the players on our team, considering current form, McBride is probably the most irreplaceable player along with Donovan (I'd argue moreso than Donovan actually, as JOB/Convey could probably fill in for him at Amid).

With the recent crisis in which we all realized we have no forwards beside McBride who we truly trust to perform at the WC, particularly no target forwards, what should Arena do if McBride goes down?

Can EJ be our target...at least to check back for the ball and recieve it with his back to goal? We all know Donovan does not like doing this, and I think we're pretty sure Twellman and Ching would be turnover machines in the WC if they ever got the ball in the first place.

Thoughts? Who'd be our forward(s)?

2. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    I suspect we play a lot more 4-5-1 (we may do this anyway).:

-----------Johnson/Twellman
    Beasley---------------------Donovan
    ---------O'Brien--------Reyna
    ---------------Mastroeni

Or maybe even 5-4-1 (don't call it a 3-6-1 :eek: ):

-----------Johnson
    Beasley------------------Donovan
    --O'Brien/Reyna--Reyna/Mastro
    Lewis---------------------Dolo
    ------Gibbs--Gooch--Pope

Or if we want to stick with our favored 4-4-2:

------Johnson---Twellman
    -----------Donovan
    Beasley---------------Reyna/Dempsey
    -----------Mastroeni

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    If McBride gets hurt versus the Czech Republic, I'm going to hunt down Ronaldo's Idol so I can kill him.

Who the hell starts threads like this jinxing players by name?????

4. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I don't believe in "jinxing" unless you're referring to the cat from Meet the Parents, Mr. Jinx. And in that case, Ben Stiller, aka Gaylord Focker, was "jinxed".

If McBride gets hurt, I will cry a single tear for him.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I know that jinxes aren't real, but I don't care. You don't EVER discuss hypotheticals about one of the key players on your team getting hurt.

Just like I would never bet for or against my favorite team.

It's just bad mojo.

6. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess would be Clint Mathis. I think Ronaldo's Idol is no other than Cleetus himself (j/j). I know where we can find him...on Colorado's bench.

7. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    That opens us up to a lot of different formations... if we're saying he's strictly out for the Italy game... then I see

-------GAM-------
    Beasley-----Donovan
    JOB----Mastro--Reyna
    Lewis-Gibbs---Gooch--Dolo

or

-----GAM
    Beas----Donovan
    ---JOB--Reyna
    Lewis-------Dolo
    Gibbs--Gooch--Spector

8. BSjanitor

BSjanitor Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Donovan + Twellman up front.

9. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Pretty simple: Donovan and GAM up front.

Twellman should not start under any circumstance.

10. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Then life goes on and a new generation of American forwards either shines or fails

11. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    They we curl up in a corner and cry like little babies.

OR.....

We could go at Italy with speed. Donovan and EJ up top, DMB out wide left, Dempsey out on the right, and get our outside backs up the flanks in a hurry. Our speed players are faster than Italy's defenders.

Then we load up our midfield with holding Ms against Ghana. Control possession, prevent any counterattack, try to make them screw up and steal a goal that way.

Or not. The point is that I'm sure Bruce has hypothesized just such a situation, and he knows that we don't have another target forward of BMB's caliber, and that a target/speed combo won't work with Ching or Twellman up top. Despite the fact that we're better with BMB than without, we've got some young players who've either played well in Europe, played in the last WC, or both.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Michael Ricketts!

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If McBride gets hurts, Donovan can replace him and I will be happy about it:)
    Then Donovan will make his famous World cup goals. He will become striker number one in USMNT. After that he will become many offers from european clubs. And we will steal Donovan back. He got matured and I think he wants to go back:). Nedved will ask Donovan if he would like to join to his club and replace him. Peter Cech will ask him to join to Chelsea. And Bundesliga will try to get him for Bayern Munich. I hope it would happen....

bltleo
    Germany