Hypothetical Knockout Rounds based on Libertadores Seeding

Discussion in 'Champions League' started by SJJ, Dec 13, 2014.

1. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 SJJ, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    This is what the knockout rounds would look like if UEFA used the CONMEBOL Libertadores seeding, where the group winners are seeded #1 to #8, the second-place teams are seeded #9 to #16, and a fixed-bracket is set up. Thus, there would be no draws for the final-16.

First the data of seeds:

seedgrpwinnerctry+/-Pts
    1BReal Madrid CFESP1418
    2EFC Bayern MünchenDEU1215
    3FFC BarcelonaESP1015
    4GChelsea FCENG1414
    5HFC PortoPOR1214
    6AClub Atlético de MadridESP1113
    7DBorussia DortmundDEU1013
    8CAS Monaco FCFRA311

seedgrpsecondctryFA+/-PtsAgWAwCoef
    9DArsenal FCENG158713
    10FParis Saint-GermainFRA107313
    11AJuventusITA7431023180.387
    12CBayer 04 LeverkusenDEU7431023170.328
    13HFC Shakhtar DonetskUKR154119
    14EManchester City FCENG9818
    15GFC Schalke 04DEU914-58
    16BFC Basel 1893SUI78-17

Amazingly, there is a tie for seed #11, which got broken by going all the down to the teams' coefficient points going into the competition. I used the same rules as listed for seeding the third-place teams foe Europa League seeding:

7.08 The four best third-ranked teams are seeded for the UEFA Europa League round of 32. This ranking is determined in accordance with the following criteria (in descending order):
    a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches
    b) superior goal difference
    c) higher number of goals scored
    d) higher number of away goals scored
    e) higher number of wins
    f) higher number of away wins
    g) higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons (see paragraph 9.02).

The brackets would be:

Round of 16

#1 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #16 Basel *Sui

#2 Bayern München *Deu -v- #15 Schalke *Deu

#3 Barcelona *Esp -v- #14 Manchester City *Eng

#4 Chelsea *Eng -v- #13 Shakhtar Donetsk *Ukr

#5 Porto *Por -v- #12 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu

#6 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #11 Juventus *Ita

#7 Borussia Dortmund *Deu -v- #10 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra

#8 Monaco *Fra -v- #9 Arsenal *Eng

Note that the (#2 -v- #15) matchup has teams from the same association. And both the (#1 -v- #16) and (#6 -v- #11) matchups have teams from the same groups. Either you accept these as "just how the seeds fall" or you put in complex rules to overcome these cases.

Quarterfinals

(#1 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #16 Basel *Sui) -v- (#8 Monaco *Fra -v- #9 Arsenal *Eng)

(#2 Bayern München *Deu -v- #15 Schalke *Deu) -v- (#7 Borussia Dortmund *Deu -v- #10 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra)

(#3 Barcelona *Esp -v- #14 Manchester City *Eng) -v- (#6 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #11 Juventus *Ita)

(#4 Chelsea *Eng -v- #13 Shakhtar Donetsk *Ukr) -v- (#5 Porto *Por -v- #12 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu)

Semifinals

(#1 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #16 Basel *Sui -v- #8 Monaco *Fra -v- #9 Arsenal *Eng) -v- (#4 Chelsea *Eng -v- #13 Shakhtar Donetsk *Ukr -v- #5 Porto *Por -v- #12 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu)

(#2 Bayern München *Deu -v- #15 Schalke *Deu -v- #7 Borussia Dortmund *Deu -v- #10 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra) -v- (#3 Barcelona *Esp -v- #14 Manchester City *Eng -v- #6 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #11 Juventus *Ita)

I submitted the same concept for the knockout rounds for the FIFA World Cup: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...rounds-based-on-libertadores-seeding.2007675/

2. BSjanitor

BSjanitor Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Thanks for posting this.

I personally do not like the way conmebol does the knockout rounds for libertadores. why?
    1) Clubs from the same group facing each other again immediately.
    2) Clubs from the same country butting heads before other countries have a chance to eliminate them.
    3) The clubs only played inside their groups, so it makes no sense to rank them against each other this early in the tournament. In your example, Man. City had a much harder group than Arsenal or PSG, so it's normal that they have less points at the end of the group stage.
    4) a draw keeps it more exciting. right now we know there's 49 possible match combinations for the knockout rounds.

3. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are cases where teams are ranked across groups. A 24-team (6-group) tournament can have "four best third-place teams" advance. Euro Championship qualifying has had "best second-place team qualifies; other second-place teams enter a playoff."

I do wish there was a way to temper the "group of death" scenarios in group-stage draws. But no-one seems to want to devise a way, so it goes back to "that's the way the Ping-Pong balls drop." There is a small bit of griping in these cases, but general acceptance. (So why is it accepted in blind draws, but wouldn't be accepted based on actual game results?)

This year there were a lot of cases of "team already qualified," or "would need a super-human effort to win the group." In my case, a team can increase their seed without having to actually finish first. This year, Monaco is a surprise group winner, but is the lowest-seed of the winners; didn't Arsenal earn the right to play the "worst" of the winners? (Arsenal would even be #8 if you put the 16 teams into "one table.")

My draw has (Barca -v- City) as an "A+" matchup, and I would also want to watch (BvB -v- PSG) [that almost rhymes]. And if the seeds would hold, the final four would be a juicy set of (Real -v- Chelsea) and (Bayern -v- Barca).

My other question about draws, is why there has be separate draws for every round of every competition. The UCL can draw the entire last-16 at one sitting; no separate QF and SF draws. The FA Cup can draw the entire last-64 into one large American-NCAA-style bracket. (And as an aside, I had even suggested that the top 16 EPL teams get separated for the R-64 and R-32.) I see even the Europa League has a separate draw for the R-16 this year; previously the R-32 and R-16 were done together.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm used to draws in soccer even though American professional sports leagues don't have them. I agree that I wish all the rounds were drawn together. I wonder if the English FA has any idea how many Americans make NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament brackets (which I've won money from twice).

5. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Called it!

6. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as seeds were not applied I would love to see this for all soccer tournaments. Obviously the World cup uses this to some degree and you are able to foresee the opponents you may play in future rounds. It's something that gets people talking. I remember Colin Cowherd talking about how the US was in a favorable position after the group stage because "Belgium doesn't scare me, Argentina hasn't been very impressive...Don't have to worry about Germany or Brazil until the final and by then you get your star back in Altidore". Obviously I will discount the ridiculousness of any of his assertions and chalk it up to a simple lack of familiarity with the sport outside of the WC, and call it a wash since I appreciate that so many in the US sports media mainstream are TRYING to understand and analyze. Even though us insiders to the sport know how off-base they are with just about everything, unlike most hardcore soccer fans in the US, I always appreciate the effort these days. Since there are no restrictions after the R16 about playing teams from your own country or group, I can't understand why they don't do the entire draw in December.

7. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There has been one instance when the entire draw was done in one go: 1999-2000 Worthington (League) Cup.

The article states: "If it proves popular, it will be used again next year and may prove to be a blueprint for flagging cup competitions worldwide". So obviously it didnt prove popular.

I for one like individual draws, and I think most fans/teams do too. It makes more of a spectacle of the competition, and can be somewhat exciting seeing your non-league team pulled out of the hat/bowl/bag against the big guns.

The reason why the World Cup, NCAA, etc... have the entire bracket set at the beginning is because these tournaments take place in a short window. The World Cup is only a month long, and each team plays every 4 days or so. Having a draw to determine who plays who, where and when on short notice would be a logistical nightmare for the teams, officials and fans involved.

UEFA/FA/Soccer in general gets away with it because there is 2-3 weeks between rounds.

BocaFan repped this.
  8. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they had a single "drawathon," but they still held draws after each round for home-away, which, if they had really wanted, could have also been done at once. I didn't realize that this "revolutionary lottery" was such a "mammoth effort" that they had to distribute all those blank draw sheets.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    In my opinion, NO. Arsenal had one of the weakest CL groups ever!

#5) An easy group stage draw doesn't perpetuate itself throughout the tournament. In the Copa Libertadores format, if you get an easy group you are also more likely to get easier knockout stage opponents (not such an issue in CONMEBOL because of the high degree of parity, but it would be a problem for the UEFA CL).

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup. Individual draws also make it more unpredictable. The Spanish Copa del Rey does one giant draw when there are 32 teams left in the Cup. A couple of years ago Madrid and Barcelona were drawn in-to the same quadrant of the bracket so it was painfully obvious that they would meet in the quarterfinal, after both teams trample a couple of minnows in the first two rounds.

Yawn. :sleep:

A similar thing happened again this season except that Atletico Madrid also got drawn into the same quadrant as both Real Madrid and Barcelona. So at least this time we don't know what the exact match-up will be months in advance, only that it will be Barcelona versus Madrid or Atletico. :unsure:

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2011-2012, Manchester City hosted Manchester United in the Third Round (Round of 64) of the FA Cup. They finished tied on points with Manchester City winning the Premier League on goal differential. Third place Arsenal was 0.5 points per game behind.

12. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was fun re-reading the comments on this thread. I rebuilt my spreadsheet, to see how the hypothetical seedings / pairings would work after each matchday. This one has a bit in it, given I included all groups from both the UCL and UEL. In each table, I included the tie-breakers used for dividing the UCL third-place teams into top-4 and bottom-4 (up to the point where their is a difference in teams; so some of the tie-break numbers "just end" in these lists).

In this first matchday, of course half of the teams don't have a road game, so their "Away Goals For" and "Away Wins" columns are zero. And the "Disciplinary" column gives three points per red, one point per yellow, so the lower number wins a tie-break.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, MATCH DAY ONE

UCLplace #1grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    1Real Madrid CFAESP3440100
    2Chelsea FCGENG3440101
    3Bayer 04 LeverkusenEDEU334
    4FC Bayern MunchenFDEU3333
    5Sevilla FCDESP3330
    6Club Atletico de MadridCESP32
    7FC ZenitHRUS313
    8PSV EindhovenBNED312

UCLplace #2grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    9Paris Saint-GermainAFRA3220102
    10SL BenficaCPOR3220103
    11JuventusDITA3122
    12GNK Dinamo ZagrebFCRO3120103
    13VfL WolfsburgBDEU3110100
    14FC PortoGPOR102
    15FC BarcelonaEESP1011001
    16Olympique LyonnaisHFRA1011003

UCL Round of 16
    • #1 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #16 Olympique Lyonnais *Fra
    • #2 Chelsea *Eng -v- #15 Barcelona *Esp
    • #3 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu -v- #14 Porto *Por
    • #4 Bayern Munchen *Deu -v- #13 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu
    • #5 Sevilla *Esp -v- #12 GNK Dinamo Zagreb *Cro
    • #6 Atletico Madrid *Esp -v- #11 Juventus *Ita
    • #7 Zenit *Rus -v- #10 SL Benfica *Por
    • #8 PSV Eindhoven *Ned -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra

UCL Quarterfinals
    • (#1 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #16 Olympique Lyonnais *Fra) -v- (#8 PSV Eindhoven *Ned -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra)
    • (#2 Chelsea *Eng -v- #15 Barcelona *Esp) -v- (#7 Zenit *Rus -v- #10 SL Benfica *Por)
    • (#3 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu -v- #14 Porto *Por) -v- (#6 Atletico Madrid *Esp -v- #11 Juventus *Ita)
    • (#4 Bayern Munchen *Deu -v- #13 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu) -v- (#5 Sevilla *Esp -v- #12 GNK Dinamo Zagreb *Cro)

UCL Semifinals
    • (#1 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #16 Olympique Lyonnais *Fra -v- #8 PSV Eindhoven *Ned -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra) -v- (#4 Bayern Munchen *Deu -v- #13 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu -v- #5 Sevilla *Esp -v- #12 GNK Dinamo Zagreb *Cro)
    • (#2 Chelsea *Eng -v- #15 Barcelona *Esp -v- #7 Zenit *Rus -v- #10 SL Benfica *Por) -v- (#3 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu -v- #14 Porto *Por -v- #6 Atletico Madrid *Esp -v- #11 Juventus *Ita)

UCL Final
    • (#1 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #16 Olympique Lyonnais *Fra -v- #8 PSV Eindhoven *Ned -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra -v- #4 Bayern Munchen *Deu -v- #13 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu -v- #5 Sevilla *Esp -v- #12 GNK Dinamo Zagreb *Cro) -v- (#2 Chelsea *Eng -v- #15 Barcelona *Esp -v- #7 Zenit *Rus -v- #10 SL Benfica *Por -v- #3 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu -v- #14 Porto *Por -v- #6 Atletico Madrid *Esp -v- #11 Juventus *Ita)

UCLplace #3grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    17FC Dynamo KyivGUKR102
    18AS RomaEITA1010001
    19KAA GentHBEL1010007
    20Manchester United FCBENG0-111001
    21Arsenal FCFENG0-111006
    22Manchester City FCDENG0-110
    23Galatasaray ASCTUR0-20000250.020
    24Malmo FFASWE0-20000212.545

UCLplace #4grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    25Valencia CFHESP0-12
    26PFC CSKA MoskvaBRUS0-10
    27FC AstanaCKAZ0-20
    28FC BATE BorisovEBLR0-31
    29Olympiacos FCFGRE0-30000362.380
    30VfL Borussia MonchengladbachDDEU0-30000333.883
    31Maccabi Tel-Aviv FCGISR0-400003
    32FC Shakhtar DonetskAUKR0-400008

EUROPA LEAGUE, MATCH DAY ONE

UELplace #1grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    1SSC NapoliDITA355
    2FC Schalke 04KDEU3333112111.883
    3Olympique de MarseilleFFRA333311255.483
    4FC Lokomotiv MoskvaHRUS3233113
    5Molde FKANOR3233115
    6Tottenham Hotspur FCJENG3230101
    7Athletic Club BilbaoLESP3230102
    8FC Viktoria PlzenECZE3220
    9FC Basel 1893ISUI3122
    10Borussia DortmundCDEU3120102
    11FC SionBSUI3120103
    12AS Saint-EtienneGFRA1

UELplace #2grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    13FK PartizanLSRB313
    14SK Rapid WienEAUT312
    15Besiktas JKHTUR3111112
    16SC BragaFPOR3111113
    17FC MidtjyllandDDEN3110
    18Rosenborg BKGNOR1022
    19AFC AjaxANED1020
    20Liverpool FCBENG1011001
    21AC Sparta PrahaKCZE1011007
    22RSC AnderlechtJBEL101
    23PAOK FCCGRE1000002
    24KKS Lech PoznanIPOL1000003

Hypothetical Europa League bracket. Seeds #1 to #8 are from the UCL, seeds #9 to #32 are from the UEL.

UEL Round of 32
    • #1 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #32 KKS Lech Poznan *Pol
    • #2 Roma *Ita -v- #31 PAOK *Gre
    • #3 KAA Gent *Bel -v- #30 RSC Anderlecht *Bel
    • #4 Manchester United *Eng -v- #29 AC Sparta Praha *Cze
    • #5 Arsenal *Eng -v- #28 Liverpool *Eng
    • #6 Manchester City *Eng -v- #27 AFC Ajax *Ned
    • #7 Galatasaray AS *Tur -v- #26 Rosenborg BK *Nor
    • #8 Malmo FF *Swe -v- #25 FC Midtjylland *Den
    • #9 SSC Napoli *Ita -v- #24 SC Braga *Por
    • #10 Schalke *Deu -v- #23 Besiktas JK *Tur
    • #11 Olympique Marseille *Fra -v- #22 SK Rapid Wien *Aut
    • #12 Lokomotiv Moskva *Rus -v- #21 FK Partizan *Srb
    • #13 Molde FK *Nor -v- #20 Saint-Etienne *Fra
    • #14 Tottenham Hotspur *Eng -v- #19 Sion *Sui
    • #15 Athletic Bilbao *Esp -v- #18 Borussia Dortmund *Deu
    • #16 Viktoria Plzen *Cze -v- #17 Basel *Sui

UEL Round of 16
    • (#1 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #32 KKS Lech Poznan *Pol) -v- (#16 Viktoria Plzen *Cze -v- #17 Basel *Sui)
    • (#2 Roma *Ita -v- #31 PAOK *Gre) -v- (#15 Athletic Bilbao *Esp -v- #18 Borussia Dortmund *Deu)
    • (#3 KAA Gent *Bel -v- #30 RSC Anderlecht *Bel) -v- (#14 Tottenham Hotspur *Eng -v- #19 Sion *Sui)
    • (#4 Manchester United *Eng -v- #29 AC Sparta Praha *Cze) -v- (#13 Molde FK *Nor -v- #20 Saint-Etienne *Fra)
    • (#5 Arsenal *Eng -v- #28 Liverpool *Eng) -v- (#12 Lokomotiv Moskva *Rus -v- #21 FK Partizan *Srb)
    • (#6 Manchester City *Eng -v- #27 AFC Ajax *Ned) -v- (#11 Olympique Marseille *Fra -v- #22 SK Rapid Wien *Aut)
    • (#7 Galatasaray AS *Tur -v- #26 Rosenborg BK *Nor) -v- (#10 Schalke *Deu -v- #23 Besiktas JK *Tur)
    • (#8 Malmo FF *Swe -v- #25 FC Midtjylland *Den) -v- (#9 SSC Napoli *Ita -v- #24 SC Braga *Por)

UEL Quarterfinals
    • (#1 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #32 KKS Lech Poznan *Pol -v- #16 Viktoria Plzen *Cze -v- #17 Basel *Sui) -v- (#8 Malmo FF *Swe -v- #25 FC Midtjylland *Den -v- #9 SSC Napoli *Ita -v- #24 SC Braga *Por)
    • (#2 Roma *Ita -v- #31 PAOK *Gre -v- #15 Athletic Bilbao *Esp -v- #18 Borussia Dortmund *Deu) -v- (#7 Galatasaray AS *Tur -v- #26 Rosenborg BK *Nor -v- #10 Schalke *Deu -v- #23 Besiktas JK *Tur)
    • (#3 KAA Gent *Bel -v- #30 RSC Anderlecht *Bel -v- #14 Tottenham Hotspur *Eng -v- #19 Sion *Sui) -v- (#6 Manchester City *Eng -v- #27 AFC Ajax *Ned -v- #11 Olympique Marseille *Fra -v- #22 SK Rapid Wien *Aut)
    • (#4 Manchester United *Eng -v- #29 AC Sparta Praha *Cze -v- #13 Molde FK *Nor -v- #20 Saint-Etienne *Fra) -v- (#5 Arsenal *Eng -v- #28 Liverpool *Eng -v- #12 Lokomotiv Moskva *Rus -v- #21 FK Partizan *Srb)

UEL Semifinals
    • (#1 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #32 KKS Lech Poznan *Pol -v- #16 Viktoria Plzen *Cze -v- #17 Basel *Sui -v- #8 Malmo FF *Swe -v- #25 FC Midtjylland *Den -v- #9 SSC Napoli *Ita -v- #24 SC Braga *Por) -v- (#4 Manchester United *Eng -v- #29 AC Sparta Praha *Cze -v- #13 Molde FK *Nor -v- #20 Saint-Etienne *Fra -v- #5 Arsenal *Eng -v- #28 Liverpool *Eng -v- #12 Lokomotiv Moskva *Rus -v- #21 FK Partizan *Srb)
    • (#2 Roma *Ita -v- #31 PAOK *Gre -v- #15 Athletic Bilbao *Esp -v- #18 Borussia Dortmund *Deu -v- #7 Galatasaray AS *Tur -v- #26 Rosenborg BK *Nor -v- #10 Schalke *Deu -v- #23 Besiktas JK *Tur) -v- (#3 KAA Gent *Bel -v- #30 RSC Anderlecht *Bel -v- #14 Tottenham Hotspur *Eng -v- #19 Sion *Sui -v- #6 Manchester City *Eng -v- #27 AFC Ajax *Ned -v- #11 Olympique Marseille *Fra -v- #22 SK Rapid Wien *Aut)

UEL Final
    • (#1 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #32 KKS Lech Poznan *Pol -v- #16 Viktoria Plzen *Cze -v- #17 Basel *Sui -v- #8 Malmo FF *Swe -v- #25 FC Midtjylland *Den -v- #9 SSC Napoli *Ita -v- #24 SC Braga *Por -v- #4 Manchester United *Eng -v- #29 AC Sparta Praha *Cze -v- #13 Molde FK *Nor -v- #20 Saint-Etienne *Fra -v- #5 Arsenal *Eng -v- #28 Liverpool *Eng -v- #12 Lokomotiv Moskva *Rus -v- #21 FK Partizan *Srb) -v- (#2 Roma *Ita -v- #31 PAOK *Gre -v- #15 Athletic Bilbao *Esp -v- #18 Borussia Dortmund *Deu -v- #7 Galatasaray AS *Tur -v- #26 Rosenborg BK *Nor -v- #10 Schalke *Deu -v- #23 Besiktas JK *Tur -v- #3 KAA Gent *Bel -v- #30 RSC Anderlecht *Bel -v- #14 Tottenham Hotspur *Eng -v- #19 Sion *Sui -v- #6 Manchester City *Eng -v- #27 AFC Ajax *Ned -v- #11 Olympique Marseille *Fra -v- #22 SK Rapid Wien *Aut)

UELplace #3grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    25Celtic FCASCO102
    26AS Monaco FCJFRA1011
    27FC Girondins de BordeauxBFRA1010001
    28FC Dnipro DnipropetrovskGUKR101000352.033
    29Asteras Tripolis FCKGRE101000313.380
    30CS Os BelenensesIPOR1000001
    31Qabala FKCAZE1000002
    32AZ AlkmaarLNED0-12
    33Villarreal CFEESP0-11
    34KF SkenderbeuHALB0-100002
    35FC Slovan LiberecFCZE0-100004
    36Legia WarszawaDPOL0-100007

UELplace #4grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    37SS LazioGITA1
    38FC Rubin KazanBRUS0-111002
    39FC KrasnodarCRUS0-111003
    40ACF FiorentinaIITA0-110
    41FC AugsburgLDEU0-211001
    42Qarabag FKJAZE0-211004
    43Sporting Clube de PortugalHPOR0-210002
    44Fenerbahce SKATUR0-210003
    45FC Dinamo MinskEBLR0-20
    46FC GroningenFNED0-300002
    47APOEL FCKCYP0-300005
    48Club Brugge KVDBEL0-5

13. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 SJJ, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    After UCL Matchday 2 (still re-editing my spreadsheets for UEL since UEFA changed the format of their standings pages between MD 1 and MD 2).

sdplace #1grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    1FC Bayern MünchenFDEU68
    2Real Madrid CFAESP66
    3JuventusDITA6342210
    4SL BenficaCPOR6342217
    5FC ZenitHRUS62
    6FC Dynamo KyivGUKR42
    7FC BarcelonaEESP41
    8PSV EindhovenBNED3

sdplace #2grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    9Paris Saint-GermainAFRA6
    10FC PortoGPOR4
    11Bayer 04 LeverkusenEDEU32
    12Club Atlético de MadridCESP3132
    13Sevilla FCDESP3130
    14Valencia CFHESP303111
    15Manchester United FCBENG303110
    16Olympiacos FCFGRE3-2

sdplace #3grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    17Chelsea FCGENG33
    18Manchester City FCDENG3032
    19PFC CSKA MoskvaBRUS3030
    20FC BATE BorisovEBLR3-2
    21GNK Dinamo ZagrebFCRO3-4
    22KAA GentHBEL1-1
    23Galatasaray AŞCTUR1-2
    24Malmö FFASWE0

sdplace #4grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdispCoef
    25VfL WolfsburgBDEU3
    26AS RomaEITA1-13
    27Olympique LyonnaisHFRA1-11
    28FC AstanaCKAZ1-2
    29Arsenal FCFENG0-2
    30VfL Borussia MönchengladbachDDEU0-4
    31Maccabi Tel-Aviv FCGISR0-6
    32FC Shakhtar DonetskAUKR0-7

Round of 16
    • #1 Bayern München *Deu -v- #16 Olympiacos *Gre
    • #2 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #15 Manchester United *Eng
    • #3 Juventus *Ita -v- #14 Valencia *Esp
    • #4 SL Benfica *Por -v- #13 Sevilla *Esp
    • #5 Zenit *Rus -v- #12 Atlético Madrid *Esp
    • #6 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #11 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu
    • #7 Barcelona *Esp -v- #10 Porto *Por
    • #8 PSV Eindhoven *Ned -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra

Quarterfinals (the 1-16-8-9 and 2-15-7-10 brackets are very interesting)
    • (#1 Bayern München *Deu -v- #16 Olympiacos *Gre) -v- (#8 PSV Eindhoven *Ned -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra)
    • (#2 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #15 Manchester United *Eng) -v- (#7 Barcelona *Esp -v- #10 Porto *Por)
    • (#3 Juventus *Ita -v- #14 Valencia *Esp) -v- (#6 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #11 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu)
    • (#4 SL Benfica *Por -v- #13 Sevilla *Esp) -v- (#5 Zenit *Rus -v- #12 Atlético Madrid *Esp)

Semifinals
    • (#1 Bayern München *Deu -v- #16 Olympiacos *Gre -v- #8 PSV Eindhoven *Ned -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra) -v- (#4 SL Benfica *Por -v- #13 Sevilla *Esp -v- #5 Zenit *Rus -v- #12 Atlético Madrid *Esp)
    • (#2 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #15 Manchester United *Eng -v- #7 Barcelona *Esp -v- #10 Porto *Por) -v- (#3 Juventus *Ita -v- #14 Valencia *Esp -v- #6 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #11 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu)

Final
    • (#1 Bayern München *Deu -v- #16 Olympiacos *Gre -v- #8 PSV Eindhoven *Ned -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra -v- #4 SL Benfica *Por -v- #13 Sevilla *Esp -v- #5 Zenit *Rus -v- #12 Atlético Madrid *Esp) -v- (#2 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #15 Manchester United *Eng -v- #7 Barcelona *Esp -v- #10 Porto *Por -v- #3 Juventus *Ita -v- #14 Valencia *Esp -v- #6 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #11 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu)

14. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFTER MATCHDAY 3
    Round of 16

• #1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Manchester United *Eng
    • #2 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra -v- #15 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu
    • #3 Porto *Por -v- #14 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr
    • #4 Barcelona *Esp -v- #13 Olympiacos *Gre
    • #5 Juventus *Ita -v- #12 Valencia *Esp
    • #6 Bayern München *Deu -v- #11 Manchester City *Eng
    • #7 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #10 SL Benfica *Por
    • #8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu -v- #9 Real Madrid *Esp

Quarterfinals
    • (#1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Manchester United *Eng) -v- (#8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu -v- #9 Real Madrid *Esp)
    • (#2 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra -v- #15 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu) -v- (#7 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #10 SL Benfica *Por)
    • (#3 Porto *Por -v- #14 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr) -v- (#6 Bayern München *Deu -v- #11 Manchester City *Eng)
    • (#4 Barcelona *Esp -v- #13 Olympiacos *Gre) -v- (#5 Juventus *Ita -v- #12 Valencia *Esp)

Semifinals
    • (#1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Manchester United *Eng -v- #8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu -v- #9 Real Madrid *Esp) -v- (#4 Barcelona *Esp -v- #13 Olympiacos *Gre -v- #5 Juventus *Ita -v- #12 Valencia *Esp)
    • (#2 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra -v- #15 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu -v- #7 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #10 SL Benfica *Por) -v- (#3 Porto *Por -v- #14 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #6 Bayern München *Deu -v- #11 Manchester City *Eng)

Final
    • (#1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Manchester United *Eng -v- #8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu -v- #9 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #4 Barcelona *Esp -v- #13 Olympiacos *Gre -v- #5 Juventus *Ita -v- #12 Valencia *Esp) -v- (#2 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra -v- #15 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu -v- #7 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #10 SL Benfica *Por -v- #3 Porto *Por -v- #14 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr -v- #6 Bayern München *Deu -v- #11 Manchester City *Eng)

15. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFTER MATCHDAY 4
    Round of 16

• #1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Roma *Ita
    • #2 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #15 Valencia *Esp
    • #3 Barcelona *Esp -v- #14 PSV Eindhoven *Ned
    • #4 Porto *Por -v- #13 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra
    • #5 Bayern München *Deu -v- #12 Chelsea *Eng
    • #6 Manchester City *Eng -v- #11 Atlético Madrid *Esp
    • #7 SL Benfica *Por -v- #10 Juventus *Ita
    • #8 Manchester United *Eng -v- #9 Olympiacos *Gre

Quarterfinals
    • (#1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Roma *Ita) -v- (#8 Manchester United *Eng -v- #9 Olympiacos *Gre)
    • (#2 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #15 Valencia *Esp) -v- (#7 SL Benfica *Por -v- #10 Juventus *Ita)
    • (#3 Barcelona *Esp -v- #14 PSV Eindhoven *Ned) -v- (#6 Manchester City *Eng -v- #11 Atlético Madrid *Esp)
    • (#4 Porto *Por -v- #13 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra) -v- (#5 Bayern München *Deu -v- #12 Chelsea *Eng)

Semifinals
    • (#1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Roma *Ita -v- #8 Manchester United *Eng -v- #9 Olympiacos *Gre) -v- (#4 Porto *Por -v- #13 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra -v- #5 Bayern München *Deu -v- #12 Chelsea *Eng)
    • (#2 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #15 Valencia *Esp -v- #7 SL Benfica *Por -v- #10 Juventus *Ita) -v- (#3 Barcelona *Esp -v- #14 PSV Eindhoven *Ned -v- #6 Manchester City *Eng -v- #11 Atlético Madrid *Esp)

Final
    • (#1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Roma *Ita -v- #8 Manchester United *Eng -v- #9 Olympiacos *Gre -v- #4 Porto *Por -v- #13 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra -v- #5 Bayern München *Deu -v- #12 Chelsea *Eng) -v- (#2 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #15 Valencia *Esp -v- #7 SL Benfica *Por -v- #10 Juventus *Ita -v- #3 Barcelona *Esp -v- #14 PSV Eindhoven *Ned -v- #6 Manchester City *Eng -v- #11 Atlético Madrid *Esp)

Shuren repped this.
  16. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 SJJ, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    AFTER MATCHDAY FIVE

The tie for tenth place between the Portuguese sides gets broken by fewer disciplinary points (Porto: 10 yellows; Benfica: 18 yellows, one red), as the rules for seeding the third-place teams in the UCL have changed this year). Note that under last year's seeding rules, tenth-eleventh would be swapped since Benfica has a higher coefficient (118.276 to 111.276) :

16.04 The four best third-placed teams are seeded for the UEFA Europa League round of 32. They are determined in accordance with the following criteria (in descending order):
    a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches;
    b. superior goal difference;
    c. higher number of goals scored;
    d. higher number of away goals scored;
    e. higher number of wins;
    f. higher number of away wins;
    g. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
    h. higher club coefficient (see Annex D).

sdplace #1grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdisp
    1FC ZenitHRUS15
    2FC BarcelonaEESP1311
    3Real Madrid CFAESP138
    4FC Bayern MünchenFDEU12
    5JuventusDITA11
    6Chelsea FCGENG108
    7Club Atlético de MadridCESP107
    8VfL WolfsburgBDEU9

sdplace #2grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdisp
    9Paris Saint-GermainAFRA109
    10FC PortoGPOR103953110
    11SL BenficaCPOR103953121
    12Manchester City FCDENG92
    13Olympiacos FCFGRE9-4
    14Manchester United FCBENG8
    15KAA GentHBEL7
    16AS RomaEITA5

sdplace #3grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdisp
    17FC Dynamo KyivGUKR8
    18PSV EindhovenBNED7
    19Arsenal FCFENG6-1
    20Valencia CFHESP6-2
    21Bayer 04 LeverkusenEDEU51
    22VfL Borussia MönchengladbachDDEU5-2
    23Galatasaray AŞCTUR4
    24FC Shakhtar DonetskAUKR3

sdplace #4grpctryPts+/-GfAgfWAwdisp
    25PFC CSKA MoskvaBRUS4-3
    26FC BATE BorisovEBLR4-7
    27Sevilla FCDESP3-4
    28FC AstanaCKAZ3-6
    29GNK Dinamo ZagrebFCRO3-9
    30Malmö FFASWE3-12
    31Olympique LyonnaisHFRA1
    32Maccabi Tel-Aviv FCGISR0

Round of 16
    • #1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Roma *Ita
    • #2 Barcelona *Esp -v- #15 KAA Gent *Bel
    • #3 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #14 Manchester United *Eng
    • #4 Bayern München *Deu -v- #13 Olympiacos *Gre
    • #5 Juventus *Ita -v- #12 Manchester City *Eng
    • #6 Chelsea *Eng -v- #11 SL Benfica *Por
    • #7 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #10 Porto *Por
    • #8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra

Quarterfinals
    • (#1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Roma *Ita) -v- (#8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra)
    • (#2 Barcelona *Esp -v- #15 KAA Gent *Bel) -v- (#7 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #10 Porto *Por)
    • (#3 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #14 Manchester United *Eng) -v- (#6 Chelsea *Eng -v- #11 SL Benfica *Por)
    • (#4 Bayern München *Deu -v- #13 Olympiacos *Gre) -v- (#5 Juventus *Ita -v- #12 Manchester City *Eng)

Semifinals
    • (#1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Roma *Ita -v- #8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra) -v- (#4 Bayern München *Deu -v- #13 Olympiacos *Gre -v- #5 Juventus *Ita -v- #12 Manchester City *Eng)
    • (#2 Barcelona *Esp -v- #15 KAA Gent *Bel -v- #7 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #10 Porto *Por) -v- (#3 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #14 Manchester United *Eng -v- #6 Chelsea *Eng -v- #11 SL Benfica *Por)

Final
    • (#1 Zenit *Rus -v- #16 Roma *Ita -v- #8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra -v- #4 Bayern München *Deu -v- #13 Olympiacos *Gre -v- #5 Juventus *Ita -v- #12 Manchester City *Eng) -v- (#2 Barcelona *Esp -v- #15 KAA Gent *Bel -v- #7 Atlético Madrid *Esp -v- #10 Porto *Por -v- #3 Real Madrid *Esp -v- #14 Manchester United *Eng -v- #6 Chelsea *Eng -v- #11 SL Benfica *Por)

17. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Group C, the UEFA standings page has Atletico Madrid over Benfica, but Benfica won the head-to-head game, so as of right now, maybe they should be given the top spot in the group.

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wikipedia has Benfica in first, and by the same logic Porto is in first and Chelsea is in second. In both cases the Portuguese club has the worse goal differential but won the only head-to-head game so far.

19. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to close up this thread, seeing how both the Champions League and Europa League would come out, and adding the coefficients for informational purposes in the knockout listings:

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, AFTER MATCHDAY SIX

sdplace #1grpctryPts+/-GfAgf
    1Real Madrid CFAESP16
    2FC Bayern MunchenFDEU1516
    3FC ZenitHRUS157
    4FC BarcelonaEESP14
    5Chelsea FCGENG1310
    6Club Atletico de MadridCESP138
    7Manchester City FCDENG124
    8VfL WolfsburgBDEU123

sdplace #2grpctryPts+/-GfAgf
    9Paris Saint-GermainAFRA13
    10FC Dynamo KyivGUKR114
    11JuventusDITA113
    12SL BenficaCPOR102
    13KAA GentHBEL10184
    14PSV EindhovenBNED10182
    15Arsenal FCFENG92
    16AS RomaEITA6

sdplace #3grpctryPts+/-GfAgf
    17FC PortoGPOR10
    18Olympiacos FCFGRE9
    19Manchester United FCBENG8
    20Bayer 04 LeverkusenEDEU61
    21Sevilla FCDESP6-3
    22Valencia CFHESP6-4
    23Galatasaray ASCTUR5
    24FC Shakhtar DonetskAUKR3

sdplace #4grpctryPts+/-GfAgf
    25VfL Borussia MonchengladbachDDEU5-4
    26FC BATE BorisovEBLR5-7
    27Olympique LyonnaisHFRA4-454
    28PFC CSKA MoskvaBRUS4-451
    29FC AstanaCKAZ4-6
    30GNK Dinamo ZagrebFCRO3-11
    31Malmo FFASWE3-20
    32Maccabi Tel-Aviv FCGISR0

Round of 16
    • #1 Real Madrid *Esp 171.999 -v- #16 Roma *Ita 43.602
    • #2 Bayern Munchen *Deu 154.883 -v- #15 Arsenal *Eng 110.078
    • #3 Zenit *Rus 90.099 -v- #14 PSV Eindhoven *Ned 58.195
    • #4 Barcelona *Esp 164.999 -v- #13 KAA Gent *Bel 13.440 (OK, not the most watchable matchup)
    • #5 Chelsea *Eng 142.078 -v- #12 SL Benfica *Por 118.276
    • #6 Atletico Madrid *Esp 120.999 -v- #11 Juventus *Ita 95.102
    • #7 Manchester City *Eng 87.078 -v- #10 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr 65.033
    • #8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu 31.883 -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra 100.483
    Quarterfinals
    • (#1 Real Madrid *Esp 171.999 -v- #16 Roma *Ita 43.602) -v- (#8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu 31.883 -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra 100.483)
    • (#2 Bayern Munchen *Deu 154.883 -v- #15 Arsenal *Eng 110.078) -v- (#7 Manchester City *Eng 87.078 -v- #10 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr 65.033)
    • (#3 Zenit *Rus 90.099 -v- #14 PSV Eindhoven *Ned 58.195) -v- (#6 Atletico Madrid *Esp 120.999 -v- #11 Juventus *Ita 95.102)
    • (#4 Barcelona *Esp 164.999 -v- #13 KAA Gent *Bel 13.440) -v- (#5 Chelsea *Eng 142.078 -v- #12 SL Benfica *Por 118.276)
    Semifinals
    • (#1 Real Madrid *Esp 171.999 -v- #16 Roma *Ita 43.602 -v- #8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu 31.883 -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra 100.483) -v- (#4 Barcelona *Esp 164.999 -v- #13 KAA Gent *Bel 13.440 -v- #5 Chelsea *Eng 142.078 -v- #12 SL Benfica *Por 118.276)
    • (#2 Bayern Munchen *Deu 154.883 -v- #15 Arsenal *Eng 110.078 -v- #7 Manchester City *Eng 87.078 -v- #10 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr 65.033) -v- (#3 Zenit *Rus 90.099 -v- #14 PSV Eindhoven *Ned 58.195 -v- #6 Atletico Madrid *Esp 120.999 -v- #11 Juventus *Ita 95.102)
    Final
    • (#1 Real Madrid *Esp 171.999 -v- #16 Roma *Ita 43.602 -v- #8 VfL Wolfsburg *Deu 31.883 -v- #9 Paris Saint-Germain *Fra 100.483 -v- #4 Barcelona *Esp 164.999 -v- #13 KAA Gent *Bel 13.440 -v- #5 Chelsea *Eng 142.078 -v- #12 SL Benfica *Por 118.276) -v- (#2 Bayern Munchen *Deu 154.883 -v- #15 Arsenal *Eng 110.078 -v- #7 Manchester City *Eng 87.078 -v- #10 Dynamo Kyiv *Ukr 65.033 -v- #3 Zenit *Rus 90.099 -v- #14 PSV Eindhoven *Ned 58.195 -v- #6 Atletico Madrid *Esp 120.999 -v- #11 Juventus *Ita 95.102)

20. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EUROPA LEAGUE, AFTER MATCHDAY SIX

Again, the eight UCL teams are seeded #1 to #8 in the knockout listings, so you have the possibility that all of them reaching the QF.

sdplace #1grpctryPts+/-GfAgf
    1SSC NapoliDITA18
    2SK Rapid WienEAUT15
    3FC Schalke 04KDEU1412
    4SS LazioGITA147
    5Athletic Club BilbaoLESP138
    6Tottenham Hotspur FCJENG136
    7FC Basel 1893ISUI13510
    8FC KrasnodarCRUS1359
    9SC BragaFPOR133
    10FC Lokomotiv MoskvaHRUS115
    11Molde FKANOR113
    12Liverpool FCBENG10

sdplace #2grpctryPts+/-GfAgf
    13Villarreal CFEESP13
    14Olympique de MarseilleFFRA12512
    15AC Sparta PrahaKCZE125
    16ACF FiorentinaIITA10511
    17Borussia DortmundCDEU10510
    18Sporting Clube de PortugalHPOR103
    19RSC AnderlechtJBEL102
    20AS Saint-EtienneGFRA93
    21FC AugsburgLDEU9112
    22Fenerbahçe SKATUR917
    23FC SionBSUI90
    24FC MidtjyllandDDEN7

sdplace #3grpctryPts+/-GfAgf
    25Besiktas JKHTUR91
    26FK PartizanLSRB9-4
    27AFC AjaxANED706
    28PAOK FCCGRE703
    29FC Slovan LiberecFCZE7-263
    30FC Dnipro DnipropetrovskGUKR7-262
    31FC Rubin KazanBRUS60
    32AS Monaco FCJFRA6-4
    33KKS Lech PoznanIPOL5-4
    34Club Brugge KVDBEL5-7
    35FC Viktoria PlzenECZE4-2
    36Asteras Tripolis FCKGRE4-8

sdplace #4grpctryPts+/-GfAgf
    37CS Os BelenensesIPOR5
    38FC Girondins de BordeauxBFRA4-2
    39Qarabag FKJAZE4-4
    40AZ AlkmaarLNED4-5
    41Legia WarszawaDPOL4-6
    42Celtic FCASCO3-4
    43FC Dinamo MinskEBLR3-8
    44KF SkenderbeuHALB3-94
    45APOEL FCKCYP3-93
    46FC GroningenFNED2-6
    47Rosenborg BKGNOR2-8
    48Qabala FKCAZE2-10

Round of 32
    • #1 Porto *Por 111.276 -v- #32 Midtjylland *Den 7.960
    • #2 Olympiacos *Gre 62.380 -v- #31 Sion *Sui 8.375
    • #3 Manchester United *Eng 103.078 -v- #30 Fenerbahçe SK *Tur 30.020
    • #4 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu 87.883 -v- #29 Augsburg *Deu 15.883
    • #5 Sevilla *Esp 80.499 -v- #28 Saint-Etienne *Fra 16.983
    • #6 Valencia *Esp 99.999 -v- #27 RSC Anderlecht *Bel 47.440
    • #7 Galatasaray AS *Tur 50.020 -v- #26 Sportinge Portugal *Por 56.276
    • #8 Shakhtar Donetsk *Ukr 86.033 -v- #25 Borussia Dortmund *Deu 99.883
    • #9 SSC Napoli *Ita 84.102 -v- #24 ACF Fiorentina *Ita 49.102
    • #10 SK Rapid Wien *Aut 15.635 -v- #23 AC Sparta Praha *Cze 30.825
    • #11 Schalke *Deu 111.883 -v- #22 Olympique Marseille *Fra 55.483
    • #12 SS Lazio *Ita 49.102 -v- #21 Villarreal *Esp 58.999
    • #13 Athletic Bilbao *Esp 56.999 -v- #20 Liverpool *Eng 47.078
    • #14 Tottenham Hotspur *Eng 84.078 -v- #19 Molde FK *Nor 10.375
    • #15 Basel *Sui 84.875 -v- #18 Lokomotiv Moskva *Rus 23.099
    • #16 Krasnodar *Rus 15.099 -v- #17 SC Braga *Por 51.776
    Round of 16
    • (#1 Porto *Por 111.276 -v- #32 Midtjylland *Den 7.960) -v- (#16 Krasnodar *Rus 15.099 -v- #17 SC Braga *Por 51.776)
    • (#2 Olympiacos *Gre 62.380 -v- #31 Sion *Sui 8.375) -v- (#15 Basel *Sui 84.875 -v- #18 Lokomotiv Moskva *Rus 23.099)
    • (#3 Manchester United *Eng 103.078 -v- #30 Fenerbahçe SK *Tur 30.020) -v- (#14 Tottenham Hotspur *Eng 84.078 -v- #19 Molde FK *Nor 10.375)
    • (#4 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu 87.883 -v- #29 Augsburg *Deu 15.883) -v- (#13 Athletic Bilbao *Esp 56.999 -v- #20 Liverpool *Eng 47.078)
    • (#5 Sevilla *Esp 80.499 -v- #28 Saint-Etienne *Fra 16.983) -v- (#12 SS Lazio *Ita 49.102 -v- #21 Villarreal *Esp 58.999)
    • (#6 Valencia *Esp 99.999 -v- #27 RSC Anderlecht *Bel 47.440) -v- (#11 Schalke *Deu 111.883 -v- #22 Olympique Marseille *Fra 55.483)
    • (#7 Galatasaray AS *Tur 50.020 -v- #26 Sportinge Portugal *Por 56.276) -v- (#10 SK Rapid Wien *Aut 15.635 -v- #23 AC Sparta Praha *Cze 30.825)
    • (#8 Shakhtar Donetsk *Ukr 86.033 -v- #25 Borussia Dortmund *Deu 99.883) -v- (#9 SSC Napoli *Ita 84.102 -v- #24 ACF Fiorentina *Ita 49.102)
    Quarterfinals
    • (#1 Porto *Por 111.276 -v- #32 Midtjylland *Den 7.960 -v- #16 Krasnodar *Rus 15.099 -v- #17 SC Braga *Por 51.776) -v- (#8 Shakhtar Donetsk *Ukr 86.033 -v- #25 Borussia Dortmund *Deu 99.883 -v- #9 SSC Napoli *Ita 84.102 -v- #24 ACF Fiorentina *Ita 49.102)
    • (#2 Olympiacos *Gre 62.380 -v- #31 Sion *Sui 8.375 -v- #15 Basel *Sui 84.875 -v- #18 Lokomotiv Moskva *Rus 23.099) -v- (#7 Galatasaray AS *Tur 50.020 -v- #26 Sportinge Portugal *Por 56.276 -v- #10 SK Rapid Wien *Aut 15.635 -v- #23 AC Sparta Praha *Cze 30.825)
    • (#3 Manchester United *Eng 103.078 -v- #30 Fenerbahçe SK *Tur 30.020 -v- #14 Tottenham Hotspur *Eng 84.078 -v- #19 Molde FK *Nor 10.375) -v- (#6 Valencia *Esp 99.999 -v- #27 RSC Anderlecht *Bel 47.440 -v- #11 Schalke *Deu 111.883 -v- #22 Olympique Marseille *Fra 55.483)
    • (#4 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu 87.883 -v- #29 Augsburg *Deu 15.883 -v- #13 Athletic Bilbao *Esp 56.999 -v- #20 Liverpool *Eng 47.078) -v- (#5 Sevilla *Esp 80.499 -v- #28 Saint-Etienne *Fra 16.983 -v- #12 SS Lazio *Ita 49.102 -v- #21 Villarreal *Esp 58.999)
    Semifinals
    • (#1 Porto *Por 111.276 -v- #32 Midtjylland *Den 7.960 -v- #16 Krasnodar *Rus 15.099 -v- #17 SC Braga *Por 51.776 -v- #8 Shakhtar Donetsk *Ukr 86.033 -v- #25 Borussia Dortmund *Deu 99.883 -v- #9 SSC Napoli *Ita 84.102 -v- #24 ACF Fiorentina *Ita 49.102) -v- (#4 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu 87.883 -v- #29 Augsburg *Deu 15.883 -v- #13 Athletic Bilbao *Esp 56.999 -v- #20 Liverpool *Eng 47.078 -v- #5 Sevilla *Esp 80.499 -v- #28 Saint-Etienne *Fra 16.983 -v- #12 SS Lazio *Ita 49.102 -v- #21 Villarreal *Esp 58.999)
    • (#2 Olympiacos *Gre 62.380 -v- #31 Sion *Sui 8.375 -v- #15 Basel *Sui 84.875 -v- #18 Lokomotiv Moskva *Rus 23.099 -v- #7 Galatasaray AS *Tur 50.020 -v- #26 Sportinge Portugal *Por 56.276 -v- #10 SK Rapid Wien *Aut 15.635 -v- #23 AC Sparta Praha *Cze 30.825) -v- (#3 Manchester United *Eng 103.078 -v- #30 Fenerbahçe SK *Tur 30.020 -v- #14 Tottenham Hotspur *Eng 84.078 -v- #19 Molde FK *Nor 10.375 -v- #6 Valencia *Esp 99.999 -v- #27 RSC Anderlecht *Bel 47.440 -v- #11 Schalke *Deu 111.883 -v- #22 Olympique Marseille *Fra 55.483)
    Final
    • (#1 Porto *Por 111.276 -v- #32 Midtjylland *Den 7.960 -v- #16 Krasnodar *Rus 15.099 -v- #17 SC Braga *Por 51.776 -v- #8 Shakhtar Donetsk *Ukr 86.033 -v- #25 Borussia Dortmund *Deu 99.883 -v- #9 SSC Napoli *Ita 84.102 -v- #24 ACF Fiorentina *Ita 49.102 -v- #4 Bayer Leverkusen *Deu 87.883 -v- #29 Augsburg *Deu 15.883 -v- #13 Athletic Bilbao *Esp 56.999 -v- #20 Liverpool *Eng 47.078 -v- #5 Sevilla *Esp 80.499 -v- #28 Saint-Etienne *Fra 16.983 -v- #12 SS Lazio *Ita 49.102 -v- #21 Villarreal *Esp 58.999) -v- (#2 Olympiacos *Gre 62.380 -v- #31 Sion *Sui 8.375 -v- #15 Basel *Sui 84.875 -v- #18 Lokomotiv Moskva *Rus 23.099 -v- #7 Galatasaray AS *Tur 50.020 -v- #26 Sportinge Portugal *Por 56.276 -v- #10 SK Rapid Wien *Aut 15.635 -v- #23 AC Sparta Praha *Cze 30.825 -v- #3 Manchester United *Eng 103.078 -v- #30 Fenerbahçe SK *Tur 30.020 -v- #14 Tottenham Hotspur *Eng 84.078 -v- #19 Molde FK *Nor 10.375 -v- #6 Valencia *Esp 99.999 -v- #27 RSC Anderlecht *Bel 47.440 -v- #11 Schalke *Deu 111.883 -v- #22 Olympique Marseille *Fra 55.483)