Hurricane Katrina: What does it mean for Dubya?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Revolt, Aug 31, 2005.

1. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Now people realize the importance of government because of the emergency.

Did New Orleans vote for Kerry?

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    "You mean to tell me this city of 500,000 several feet below sea level and surrounded by the Mississippi and a lake would FLOOD after a major hurricane? That's not a chapter in my 'FEMA Guide for Dummies' book Dubya gave me."

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    IIRC correctly LA is a red state but not overwhelmingly so.

Smaller govt. providing smaller services.

4. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    We were caught so off guard that EVERY YEAR during hurricane season, a bunch of scientists got up and said, "if this aging levy breaks during a storm surge, New Orleans is going to flood."

If only Bush could get his head out of his anus for maybe an hour or so and actually pay attention to scientists on anything it might have been nice. I guess that the "jury was still out" on a flood happening if the levy broke.

Darn simple logic!

I mean, it's something that Republican seem to understand in some ways. I mean they were all about protecting the Hoover Dam from terrorists because, if the dam breaks, there would be...A FLOOD!

Hmm.

5. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How about some blame be placed on the people who were told to evacuate and didn't heed the warning. They suggest you get out of town, then get the fvck out of town...100 miles or more away...it's not that difficult. Hell no would I allow the government to herd me into the Superdome like a bunch of sheep. This is what happens when you have decades of liberal policies which have created generations of Americans incapable of fending for themselves, without government leading them by the hand. I feel sorry for the sick and elderly who couldn't move on their own. I have no sympathy for the countless able-bodied jackasses I'm seeing on TV whining about their plight that they largely brought on themselves by ignoring common sense. The only good to come out of this is that I'm guessing the next hurricane that comes along people won't be chest-thumping that they can ride it out like some sort of hero.

6. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Well who woulda thought hurricanes cause rain and rising water levels?

7. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I'm dumber for reading this post.

9. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian (aka Mr. Compassionate Conservative Personified):

The end of the month played a pretty big and tragic role. Many poor folks simply had no cash to get out of town.

Yeah, that's ********ing great. I know I'm jumping up and down that the Operation FUBAR within FUBAR (AKA Iraq) won't be repeated, either.

10. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Stop making excuses for people. There are plenty of people who could've gotten out and chose not to.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I'm rooting for painful ends to roaming bands of thugs. Still, there are a lot of sad sacks out there. I know you are probably pleased to see the herd get thinned, but these are real people with real problems. Has stupidity become a crime?

12. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If it was, Ian would be a lifer.

Put him on your ignore list. Stop feeding the troll.

13. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dubya came out looking as good as the Superdome in this one.

The hurricane was Monday. He took the last few days off his 5-week vacation to flyover and sit in Washington on Wednesday.

He gave a crappy speech and talked about all the rescue stuff the hasn't happened yet, and focused a few good paragraphs on oil and gas production (although for a former oil baron, he sure doesn't look like he knows what he's talking about).

Every hour this thing drags on is another drop in the polls for our CoC.

14. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    This is possibly the stupidest thing ever said on BigSoccer. Seriously. Yes, it is that hard to get the *bleep* out of town. Myself, living in Chicago and not having a car, would be hard pressed to get 100 miles from the city in a short period of time. There were, I've heard, very few transportation options for those who don't own cars (which is something that's very common in a city). The buses and trains were full, the rental car places sold out. The only crime of many of those left behind was having to work or being too poor to afford their own cars.

I would just love to see you live poor for two days and see how much defending for yourself it actually takes.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Of course the people who didn't evacuate are to blame.

Did everyone forget about the fleets of Hummer limos that drove into the ghetto and offered free rides to safety for all the residents? Yet so many of them said "nah, I'm good. Once the power goes out, I'll be able to loot the liquor store of every ounce of Kristal!"

Little did they know that the Hummer limos were full of magnums of Kristal for the taking. Stupid victims! They deserve to die!

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And strippers, don't forget the strippers. Man, there isn't anything like getting a lap dance while enjoying a nice chilled glass of Kristal as you speed away from a raging hurricane and certain doom.

17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Why doesn't Montana get hurricanes? Why God, why?

18. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even the Washington Times (aka, ITN's favorite paper), is taking BushCo to task:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20050901-090238-2051r.htm

This whole thing has been horrific. The images and stories coming out of NO are something I never thought I'd see in our country. The govt response - at all levels - has been shameful and embarassing

19. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you live, suburban Detroit? Start walking north from the Rencen moron and see how far you get by tomorrow, especially when it starts raining and you're carrying a baby and taking care of your elderly mother. Remember you get absolutely no water or food because all the stores are boarded up. Good luck getting to even 11 mile road. Your post is just sheer retardation.

20. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does George W. Bush hate our National Guard? Doesn't he know that questioning their results back home undermines their mission?

21. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahahaha

22. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    This event is a national disgrace. And for anyone who thinks the victims deserved what they got, man I feel sorry for you. If you can't show compassion for the folks going through this, you really are less then human. Seeing picture of mothers holding nearly lifeless infants in thier arms and people dying on the streets in America four days after the hurricane is all the evidence anyone (black, white, liberal, conservative) should need to realize Bush Fvcked up. End of story, no excuses.

23. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    This is just typical Ian idiocy. He's the same guy who laughs at people who get flu shots, lecturing them on how he's never received a flu shot and has never gotten ill. Were an evacuation order listed for his part of the world, he'd be bragging to the rest of us about how he's not going to move an inch and how everyone who listened to the order was a moron.

24. bobbybhoy2003

bobbybhoy2003 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Columbus
    Its hard work...workin hard...I'm workin hard....What a load of horse poo...take a look at CNN big man Gdubya is passing the blame already.

25. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone should read this:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2005/09/01/katrina_race/