Hurricane Katrina: Aftermath and Cleanup, Continued, Again

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Coach_McGuirk, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because the entire goddamn system, from the Federal to the State to the Local government, screwed up terribly.

2. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    and yet they continue to pat themselves on the back. Those FEMA guys I read quotes from need an ass-kicking.

3. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how we have the reports of the snipers pinning down the firefighters and Bush saying there has been an "Acceptable response..."

If I could get one word to those firefighters and their families it would be "don't worry, everything thats happening is exactly according to plan."

You know, before their fvcking heads get blown off.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She also happened to be in one of the poorest urban areas in the United States. That's no excuse, but the wealth of other US cities just isn't in New Orleans.

5. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Much of what is happening in New Orleans is prdeicted by the author of this book. I read it this summer. A bit fatalistic but not looking so crazy now:

[​IMG]

6. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a report from the front lines in New Orleans that was published yesterday in article format on a community newspaper in San Francisco called the Bayview. It was written by someone named Malik Rahim. He's an older African-American that I have known for a while now and consider to be pretty reasonable. He's an ex-con that has turned his life around and now spends his time as an organizer in the community, mentoring youngsters and such. He recently helped pass an increase in the NOLA minimum wage or something like that. Anyway...

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Spent the day talking to evacuees/refugees in the Dallas area. They're in bad shape, a lot of them have friends and relatives back there that they haven't heard from. They have the shirts on their backs. Talked to oen guy who'd taken in 30+ relatives in his house. That's the story that isn't being covered yet.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Man....someone has got to address New Orleans drug, poor education and poverty problems in the coming years.

9. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    No kidding. Then that special someone might want to take a look at pretty much every other American city. But don't bet on it ever happening. America is a "great" and "blessed" nation, a land of opportunity, and the state of our Union is "strong". We can't let some desperate poor black people spoil the grand illusion.

10. Enganche

Enganche Red Card

Apr 30, 2003
    Right on Andy! I was in Florida last spring and saw plenty of signs for hurricane evacuation routes and evacuation centers away from the coast. Do they have the same in Louisiana? It doesn't seem so as so many you see interviewed who had cars didn't leave because they couldn't afford a hotel room. Evidently there were not any state hurricane evacuation centers.

But no question once the mayor gave orders for the mandatory evacuation, all the city's buses (public transportation, charter and school) should have been used to move those without cars or the financial means away from the coast. The fact that they didn't is criminal.

The federal and state governments deserve a lot of blame for their delay in responding (for instance why weren't national guard troops stationed away from the coast in places like Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Birmingham, Jackson, etc.) so that they could be a few hours drive away from providing assistance? They knew a massive hurricane was headed in their direction. The feds also are majorily at fault for not providing enough money to the Corps of Engineers to shore up the levees.

But the city and county (or parish as they're called in Louisiana) officials also deserve their share of blame for not doing a better job in getting their poorer citizens evacuated out of harm's way.

11. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.response/index.html

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to defend people from dropping the ball on this one, but regarding Jackson & Birmingham...well, Alabama & Mississippi took hits too. Additionally, the I-10 bridge into New Orleans was destroyed, pretty much making it more difficult to approach from the east (at least as I understand it.)

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The response by, correction, the lies by FEMA Director Brown makes me mad!

Bush came on yesterday in the am, and stated the response was unacceptable. By the time he got to the Gulf Coast the spin doctors were in control and Bush was commending everyone for a wonderful job. Sorry, but the response sucks. FEMA needs more money and Brown needs to be canned for being a goddamn liar. The Department of Homeland Security is just big********ingbrother limiting our personal freedoms while failing miserably at their job. A hospital ship is scheduled to arrive in New Orleans next Thursday. This is unacceptable.

14. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As a survivor of Hurricane Hugo, I demand to impeach the federal government!

15. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have issues with this statement. When Harry Connick Jr. was on Today yesterday morning he told Katie Couric he could drive from Baton Rouge to the New Orleans convention center in an hour and if he could get police protection he would bring water. The whole logistical response has been poor. Someone or actually scores of people dropped the ball. I could understand the response taking 48 hours, but 96 hours is unacceptable! Just bvecause I-10 over lake Ponchartrain is destroyed does not mean there are not alternate means of transport. Materials could have been air lifted on Tuesday into Baton Rouge and brough by truck into New Orleans.

16. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa

the mayor is a foul mouthed clown in the martin lawrence/richard pryor mold. hardly a statesman. he's a cliche, actually. how about start blaming the city of new orleans and the state of louisiana for being so ill prepared? stop passing the buck to the feds.

17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    no one respond to him. period.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alberto, please have another look at what I wrote. I never defended the response time. I merely stated that the main approach route from the east into New Orleans was destroyed as a partial explanation to why national guardsman from Mississippi (and particularly Alabama) couldn't have responded easily. Even if they could have, the national guard of those two states were deployed to their own shorelines.

Baton Rouge is to the west and doesn't factor into deployments from MS & AL, which is what I was addressing from the original post I quoted.

Believe me, I pissed off about this and am not defending the overall response time.

19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Understood. I too am very frustrated and upset about this. There is a lot of explaining by all these agencies.

20. Enganche

Enganche Red Card

Apr 30, 2003
    I understand you nico but actually my comments regarding Jackson and Birmingham were more directed at getting those guardsmen to affected areas in Mississippi and Alabama than to the New Orleans area.

Still, as others have noted, there are ways to get into New Orleans even if it means taking a slight detour. How come Harry Connick Jr. could get into New Orleans but the national guard couldn't?

By the way as of last night, news reports from Biloxi were saying there's NO federal presence there. The only releif supplies have been from the Red Cross and other private groups, some of whom came from the Florida panhandle.

Local, State and esepcially Federal officials have plenty to answer for in this disaster.

21. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    the left wing media (cnn, msnbc, which is what i have, i don't have fox news) is going out of their way not to mention the ineptitiude of the local and state authorities. they see this as a chance to denigrate bush, so they hammer away at the perceived lack of federal response, over and over. i've seen enough of al sharpton and jessee jackson (i.e., the race merchants) over the last few days to make me hate the left wing more than ever.

22. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Did anyone else catch this on MSNBC?

They were showing a Blackhawk dropping supplies to two guys waist-deep in water. The next street over, there were LAFD firemen in a rubber boat and on jetskis patrolling the flooded streets. They then panned over to a family in their bathing suits swimming in their backyard above-ground pool. They were floating around on those long, tubular, styrofoam things and happily waving up to the helicopter filming them. The water around the pool was almost as deep as the pool water.

WTF? Apparently there are people that have no intention of evacuating the city. These people need to forced out. Otherwise the National Guard will have to waste time making daily deliveries to these people. :mad:

23. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA

I'm sure would have found another reason to hate. But as a member of "the left", it's a pleasure to help.

Unsurprisingly, you are lazily and conveniently conflating accountability for the failure to sufficiently prepare for the likelihood of disaster from local government with relatively limited resources, with an inexplicably turgid response from a federal government with relatively abundant resources after a disaster already had been confirmed and bodies floating the streets.

I'm shocked.

24. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not surprised or shocked. Some people are just full of hate.

25. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Even though nobody seems really interested: The first German plane with supplies landed in the US a few hours ago...