Hurricane Katrina: Aftermath and Cleanup, Continued, Again

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Coach_McGuirk, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all honesty, they've been the worst and most in need of help and law enforcement.

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alabama has authorized the use of lodging at all state parks for evacuees from AL, MS, & LA.

3. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    CNN>
    BREAKING NEWS

AP: Huge oil spill spotted near storage tanks on Mississippi River downstream from New Orleans, state officials say. Details soon.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read something else that said a lot of church owned "summer camp" type of places are being used for shelter.

5. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Man, what the hell else can possibly happen?

Being downstream, it's probably not a danger to NO, but could have a huge environmental impact, I assume.

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    The cost of your basic shrimp cocktail will jump a bit, I'm afraid...

I'm actually surprised this is the first oil spill we've heard of.

7. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.impact/index.html

Well, at least one person is.

edit: Oops forgot about ITN, make that two people.

8. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the oil spill should trigger presidential sorrow as a side benefit.

9. WingsFan

WingsFan Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Suburban Wichita
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are you Moby?

11. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa

you need to harden up.men don't cry. besides, he has been a crummy leader. did you see rudy gulliani constantly blasting the feds in the aftermath of 9-11? no, he showed strong leadership. the mayor needs to be a leader, a statesman. he is obviously in way over his head.

13. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    From The Exquisite Corpse.

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to imagine it read in a Romanian accent, or else go back a few days in NPR's ATC archives, where Codrescu reads it himself. It's worth the search.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbelievable.

I hope those Guardsmen are good shots.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I've seen him in concert. :)

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with all due respect to the people of new york, the area of destruction isn't even remotely the same. everybody's in over their head.

19. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    nico, patrickm's a troll who's incapable of any serious discussion. Ignore him.

Back to the cleanup:

Companies Scrambling to Restore Power

This brought up a question I'd love to see a story on: How do utility companies pick up the sticks? The story touches on that briefly, mentioning public safety buildings as a top priority. And I'm glad that refineries also seem to be high up on the list.

But how do they assess the damage and set their priorities and deploy their workers? I'd love to see a feature on that.

20. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Any search involving Andrei is well worth the effort. Easily my favorite current writer.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I should....I know I should...I know I should...

22. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Thank you all for sharing that. It was incredibly moving.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's something I don't understand about the situation over there, (and apologies if it's been asked before), but why didn't they get the people out of New Orleans before the hurricane. I'm not talking about the people who had vehicles or the money to get themselves out - I heard the police chief fell saying "it's time to haul arse" - but what about the hundred thousand or so people who didn't have the money or intelligence to get themselves out.

There was a young British girl on TV over here who had only arrived there a day or so beforehand and hadn't been following the news. She was on holiday backpacking her way across the US and most people don't follow the news particularly when they're on holiday. In any event when someone DID happen to mention that they were all leaving because of a suspected hurricane she immediately tried to get out, only to find that all public service transport had been cancelled until further notice.

I mean, what's the point of the police chief telling people to get out if they've no way of actually doing it unless they've got a car or van or access to one.

I'm afraid it has to be said fellas that in most other developed countries the state would likely have provided some form of transport if people didn't have their own. Particularly in the situation where everyone knew that there was a possibility that these levees might be breached and the city flooded with salt water, sewage and chemicals from factories.

Obviously if people THEN don't want to go, that's their affair but this young girl said that there were many people trying at the same time as her to get out who couldn't. She said there were people with almost no money or savings who had sold what little they had in an attempt to get out who were stuck there.

I'm sorry to have to say it but, frankly, you've been made to look like some type of banana republic.