Hurricane Isabel

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by AndyMead, Sep 13, 2003.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Here's the National Hurricane Center link:
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

The Hurricane Research Division has some more interesting stuff on Isabel

3. boingo

boingo Member

Forward Madison FC
    Feb 17, 2003
    WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
  5. RedZion

RedZion New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Pack enough food and extra clothes... some heavy weights in the car, too.. and know your bail-out spots....

Remember your toothbrush... I never thought it was important, but Mom would yell if I didn't take it.. ;) Ah.. the memories of soccer games and hurricanes.. Quite a few times we drove to the pitch for a game (ours) even with the chance of a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico....

Enjoy..and as you all know..anything can happen.. a hurricane does not abide by the laws we humans do.... :D

6. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Not only that, if this thing is out of the way come Saturday morning and the weather turns nice I'm willing to bet attendance in DC and PHL spikes because people want to get outside.

Then again, I really think that under half of all the United and Freedom games I've gone to in the last two years have been played under dry skies. I should know better.

7. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    The most recent forecasts have Isabel in Pennsylvania AM on Friday....

So Saturday noon looks ok, as the Linc has a superior drainage system.

Hopefully 2 days is sufficient to get RFK dry and playable.

Big story will be the tropical humidity with DEWPOINTS in the upper 70...s

8. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    This is just great. If the fields are too wet, then it will be harder for the players. The games won't look so great or they will look like a farce. Hilarious was that Freedom/Charge game from this season which had too many goals in the first half despite ridiculous conditions.

9. RedBlueDevil

RedBlueDevil Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Hurricane

Don't get to travel much for pleasure, so going this weekend with my wife and daughter to DC to see the game and sightsee was going to be special. Anybody know the policy on rain and postponements? Supposed to be torrential rains in D.C. from the hurricane. I'll be there either way, but just wondering.

10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    NOAA Update
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_astorm13+shtml/140858.shtml?

Essentially, looks like the eye should land in NC approx. 2pm Thursday. By 2pm Friday, it could be around Lake Erie. 2PM Saturday in Hudson Bay. IF this holds true, then the games on Sat in Philly should be OK, and Sun in DC.

IF the storm slows down, I can't imagine that the games would be played in a hurricane. But I don't think that is likely.

Adam's Previous observation seems to be holding true. Damage/flooding could be a problem.

The next 24-36 hours will be critical. Will the storm speed up as expected (HOPEFULLY)...

11. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    From the New York Times:

Hurricane Could Drench World Cup
    By JERE LONGMAN

12. schoon

schoon New Member

May 15, 2000
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Operations

The field may be drained and ready but the rest of the operations side may not be. The TV transmission trucks, cables, and other equipment need be to be in place and tested, not to mention signage, banners, etc. The WWC (like any other event) will be a blur of activity up until the last minute, only I can't see the operations staff (both the LOC and broadcast sides) trying to complete everything in the midst of a category 2 hurricane.

So the hurricane may blow past by Saturday and the field may be ready, but I wouldn't be surprised if some matches (Philly and maybe DC) have to be postponed. Unfortunately this sort of thing can't be predicted which is why no official decisions appear to be made (or at least announced) yet. Guess we'll see how it shakes out.

13. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I don't think any delay of the games in DC
    is likely.

But I bet any teams looking to train on Friday will have some problems.

I could also imagine some problems in the parking lots on Sunday at RFK. Get there early, with the
    crack (as in on crack) RFK staff, who knows what if any gates or parking lots they will actually decide to open.

Good luck to those of you coming to town. If anyone is flying in on Friday, good luck.

The House of Reps has announced they will not have any votes tomorrow. They are mostly heading out tonight. The Senate is tougher, they are staying.

14. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Friday the 4 teams playing at LFF are supposed to get a dry run ....

if you have an afternoon time, the forecast is calling for the rain to have ended....

right now, it appears, DC area, and into central PA, get far more rain thean Phill proper....

15. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    From Sports Business Journal:

Hurricane Isabel and sports

:)