Alert: Hungary vs Netherlands WC qualification match thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Sep 8, 2012.

1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    VS.
    [​IMG]
    Match date: 11-09-2012​
    Stadium: Ferenc Puskás Stadium​
    Capacity: 39.111​
    Head to head records between the 2 country's:​
    [​IMG]
    (Hungary in red, Netherlands in blue)​
    FIFA A games between the country's:​
    [​IMG]
    (open in new tab and use CTRL + to enlarge)​
    FIFA ranking of each country since it's introduction:​
    [​IMG]
    Table position of each country in the group at the moment:​
    [​IMG]

2. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In the last game Strootman did well as the holding mid. I think he should get another shot there in this game and have Clasie play right midfield. Also I'd like to see Urby get a shot in the midfield sometime.

Krul​
    van Rhijn - Heitinga - BMI - Willems​
    Strootman​
    Clasie (Urby) - - - - - - - Sneijder​
    Narsingh - van Persie - Robben​

3. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agree with this lineup. Not sure about Urby on right side. Fer could get that role but first XI needs more games together.

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought Strootman on the right first half was pretty bad. He improved drastically when he was played more DM. On the right midfield position he was actually irritating me with his physical game play, rather than looking out to bring football.

Orange14 repped this.
  5. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Let's give Clasie at least another half at DM, it was his debut:

Krul​
    van Rhijn - Heitinga - BMI - Willems​
    Clasie​
    Maher - - - - - - - Sneijder​
    Narsingh - van Persie - Robben​

JC-14 repped this.
  6. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Krul out with an elbow surgery. What a shame. I was really hoping he would keep his spot and establish rhythm/understanding with his defense. Vorm or Stekelenburg? I am voting for Vorm... flying start with Swansea this season, besides I kinda losing confidence in Stekelenburg.

Anita overlooked again. Wonder if LVG is settled with Strootman as his new holding midfielder, and looks for a backup creative player in midfield. Though I'd like to see Clasie gets a second chance, Emanuelson would be a very interesting choice, he will add extra speed and urgency in midfield.

7. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Too bad for Krul. Mixed feelings on Stek. I would give Vorm a run here. Clasie was far from terrible and should get the start too.
    Dutch backline is very raw as we know but appears faster and more athletic. No more Mathijsen Janmaat or Vlaar for me. Regardless much work to be done.

8. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    struck by Oranje's May 98 FIFA rank of 25. How dumb was that . . .

I'd like Vorm to get the start (tho won't do wonders for Stek's confidence). Clasie definitely deserves another chance, you don't give up on players after 1 mediocre debut.

9. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    These rankings are a joke. Really very confusing how they try to make sense of these rankings.

10. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Looking for 3 more points today, and a dominating performance in Hungary today. I say 3-0 for Oranje.

11. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I hope Steke starts. Krul may have become a better keeper but I still don't think that Vorm has passed him

12. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was interesting to notice that RVP scored with his head in his last EPL game and replicated that in the game against Turkey. Finally something that transcends from club football to NT football.

In this light I will post some more observations from last game here, as certain behavior will maybe reoccur. I re watched the game Netherlands vs Turkey and have some additional observations:

• Willems tries to control high balls by sticking his foot out under the presumption he can make it dead or control it. He can't. The ball jumps off his foot. It feels to me, he is not aware he can't make the ball dead and in the future this way of dealing with high balls can result in a dangerous situation.
    • The reason van Rhijn came on was for being better with his head, but the biggest header chance of the Turks happened when he was not able to jump with his man. It was the header from a cross from Willems side, that sailed over the cross bar after a Turk put his head against. Also RvR just rammed a ball out of the stadium at one moment without looking for one second for the football solution.
    • Sneijder when dropping had quite some ball loss or was not able to display his creativity especially in the first half. Many of his longer distributing balls went wrong for a long time. It tells me that if Sneijder was not able to show his creative skills getting some longer balls from A to B, I am not amazed Clasie played over cautious to prevent much ball loss. The Turks were on the game and kept it tight for a long time.
    • The Turks 20/25 minutes in the second half subbed a midfielder for an attacker. This is also the reason why Strootman-Fer looked better and in more control, than the first half midfield. This is something few people have mentioned and was very important.
    • There was this moment where BMI headed the ball almost into his own goal. He saved the situation, but after that something very weird happens. Janmaat just watches the ball going over the line resulting into a corner. WTF was that? Why did he not prevent the corner and kick the ball away, or just control it and start to play football? I do not know.
    • RVP did not play along that well. One time with the corner flag, he passed well to Sneijder, but 2 big moments were maybe bigger mess ups than Narsingh's lack of vision to pass it on Robben. First there is a counter situation where RVP just passes the ball to much in front of Robben to make a successful run on goal possible. There is also towards the end of the game a moment where he does not shoot or do something smart with the ball, but passes it behind Narsingh. Very poor.
    • Tim Krul's distribution was bad against Turkey. Opposite of De Gea and with high balls was not very secure.
    Telegraaf reports on the starting 11:

[​IMG]
    • I am amazed Viergever is not turning the heat on Willems. I also want to say that Willems is now weighted by Rutten, Cocu, van Marwijk, Advocaat and van Gaal. 3 club coaches and 2 NT coaches. 5 very good coaches in total and every time with his 18 years he is kept on the job (apart from a short spell at PSV). Also many PSV supporters like him more than Pieters already. One way or the other, he is doing some things right.
    • I am happy van Gaal keeps faith in Clasie and offers him another chance to build on his first 5 to 10 good minutes from the start against Turkey. I do feel Strootman is a bit sacrificed here and feel a bit bad about that for Kevin. Not only sacrificed vs Clasie, but also vs Sneijder. I'll keep that mind in judgement after the game.
    • Narsingh is not good in tight spaces. We might have a lot of ball possession on Hungary's side. This could lead to him being ineffective.
    • I have no idea what to expect from Hungary. Sure we beat them now many times in a row, but last time at home they were already stronger and showed more determination. Hungary had a good first result in the group and some people already claim Hungary is our main rival, not Turkey. More importantly, I do not know what to expect from the Dutch NT. All these new kids make you wonder about consistency and for how long we can get away with these defensive hick ups. I read many comments from fans from other NT's, showing the belief they fancy their chances on a surprise against Netherlands. The reason for that can be found in the following saying: "Invincibility lies in defense, the possibility of victory in the attack." It's from Sun Tzu. Dutch NT sides often have part 2, but part 1, especially in these times is not really present. People deem the Dutch NT as unbalanced and that offers any side a chance, especially in the sport of football. That's to bad as you don't benefit from any lack of belief on the other teams part. It does result in fun games though.
    • I think Maher might get into the team second half. Clasie subbed, Strootman to DM, Maher to right midfield position. My problem with Maher is 2 things. The first problem is how he let an attacker simply get passed him against Bayern, PSV recently for the 5-1 and Austria in U21 just a few days ago. He should show more aggression and defensive ability in those situations. My second problem with Maher is his wastefulness with his final passing. He sees the through pass often and also is a a spot to give it. Then however, it's too hard or not in the run of the attacker. I hope both these points will be improved.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    "Narsingh is not good in tight spaces. We might have a lot of ball possession on Hungary's side. This could lead to him being ineffective."

This is a problem that I see with a lot of young wingers (particularly on Ajax). They think they have the skills to beat anyone including a potential two man trap and as a result don't pass to the open man soon enough. They end up in trouble and lose the ball in what might have been a good offensive situation. I don't know if it's just bad coaching or that the players are coached properly and in the game forget everything they were supposed to do. It's a real puzzle.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cheer on the team for me. I need to go to the airport to pick up my daughter and will probably not get back until the second half has started. I'm going to see if my cell phone will pick up the transmission as it's on ESPN3 here in the US.

15. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Robben out of the game with a groin injury. That's a huge loss.

16. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't know what to expect from this game. So much mediocrity on the Dutch side.

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hope Lens can show some magic. It is a player that has something, but against Belgium he was pretty bad.

18. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    To bad RVP.

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sneijder easy ball loss, as against Turkey.

20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What a start. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoal. Lens. Golazo

21. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    wow terrible defending. Bad cross, Lens finishes it well tho

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Excellent 1-2 Nasringh-RVP, excellent cross Narsingh, excellent header from small boy Lens.

23. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hungary looking shaky at back

24. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lens on? Why not put van Persie on the left and put Hunter in?

Edit: we'll im behind. I'm stuck in class's till 4:00 and the UEFA website is behind

25. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agree with all except that was not a good cross, total floater. Luckily defending was awful