Hungarian national team [R]

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by zmse, Apr 4, 2004.

1. zmse

zmse New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Hungary
  2. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Are you guys fielding your A team? Who are Hungary's top stars and where do they play? Brazil will probably be taking an European-only roster since many Brazilian clubs will be on the need of their best players for Copa do Brasil and Libertadores commitments.

Don't forget to post your impressions about this match in the Brazil forum.

3. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Wow, this is great for Hungary. This game should be useful to them as they prepare for World Cup qualifying beginning in September. If Brazil plays with some of their best players, it will really help Hungary's development. New coach Lothar Matthaus will sure have the team ready for this one. I don't know why fifa.com does not update their information on upcoming fixtures?

Anyways, where is the game going to be played? In Rio de Janiero?

Megy Magyarország!

4. hungaryforever

hungaryforever New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Hungary/Szarvas
    The game is going to be played in Hungary, Puskás Ferenc stadium.
    Brazil will play with its A team, including Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafú etc.
    Our balance is really good against Brasil, 3 wins and 1 draw 10-3
    I think Brazil will win by 2 goals or 3 ...
    What do you think?
    P.S.: I hope Hungary will be such good team, than before 1986!

5. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    From the CBF site, it appears the game is in Budapest.

Going to look for tickets today!! This is is great

6. zmse

zmse New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Hungary
    yes, in 3 months we have better opponents than in the last four years:):

Wales
    Japan
    Brasil
    Germany

7. zmse

zmse New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Hungary

they played last time:

Babos Gábor (NAC Breda/Feyenoord from next season)
    Komlósi Ádám (MTK Hungária) - 89. Dvéri Zsolt (Videoton)
    Stark,
    Peto Zoltán (Matáv Sopron)
    Bodnár László (Dinamo Kijev)
    Molnár Balázs (Zalaegerszegi TE) - 80. Böjte Attila (Gyori ETO)
    Lisztes Krisztián (Werder Bremen) - 52. Tóth Balázs (Videoton)
    Lőw Zsolt (Energie Cottbus) - 89. Bodor Boldizsár (Germinal Beerschot)
    Gera Zoltán (Ferencváros)
    Kenesei Krisztián (Kouan Beijing) - 45. Szabics Imre (VfB Stuttgart)
    Torghelle Sándor (MTK Hungária) - 70. Sebők József (Zalaegerszegi TE)

and this is the bigger rooster:

Goalkeepers:

Király Gábor (Hertha BSC)
    Szucs Lajos (Ferencváros)
    Végh Zoltán (MTK Hungária)

Quarterbacks:

Bodnár László (Dinamo Kijev)
    Bodor Boldizsár (Germinal Beerschot)
    Böjte Attila (Gyori ETO)
    Dragóner Attila (Ferencváros)
    Éger László (DVSC-MegaForce)
    Fehér Csaba (NAC Breda)
    Füzi Ákos (MTK Hungária)
    Juhász Roland (MTK Hungária)
    Komlósi Ádám (MTK Hungária)
    Korsós György (Sturm Graz)
    Lőw Zsolt (Energie Cottbus)
    Molnár Balázs (Zalaegerszegi TE)
    Peto Zoltán (Matáv Sopron)
    Simek Péter (Újpest)
    Szélesi Zoltán (Újpest)
    Szekeres Tamás (DVSC-MegaForce)

Midfield players:

Böor Zoltán (DVSC-MegaForce)
    Dárdai Pál (Hertha BSC)
    Dvéri Zsolt (Videoton)
    Farkas Balázs (Újpest)
    Gera Zoltán (Ferencváros)
    Józsi György (Slavia Praha)
    Lendvai Miklós (Charleroi)
    Lisztes Krisztián (Werder Bremen)
    Németh Norbert (Gyori ETO)
    Polonkai Attila (Újpest)
    Sándor Tamás (DVSC-MegaForce)
    Tóth Balázs (Videoton)

Forwards:

Bajzát Péter (DVSC-MegaForce)
    Kenesei Krisztián (Kouan Beijing)
    Kovács Péter (Tromsö)
    Kovács Zoltán (Újpest)
    Mészáros Norbert (Balaton FC)
    Szabics Imre (VfB Stuttgart)
    Torghelle Sándor (MTK Hungária)
    Tököli Attila (Ferencváros)

and the "stars" are:):

Király Gábor (Hertha BSC)
    Dárdai Pál (Hertha BSC)
    Lisztes Krisztián (Werder Bremen)
    Szabics Imre (VfB Stuttgart)

8. ISAarchive

ISAarchive Red Card

Jan 7, 2004
    Florida, USA
    Can anyone get me a match program and/ or used ticket from this game ?

Lothar Matthaus has a difficult job to qualify Hungary for Germany 2006 Wrodl Cup. The National Team pride is gone for many Eastern European countries (Poland, Romania etc.)

The days of Puskas and Kocsis are long gone. There are no players playing in England. Italy or Spain. The last big name was Detari (Italy early 1990's).

The last world class player was Nyilasi - and the 1986 side gave up against the USSR 6:1. That team was the first to qualify for Mexico and had Videoton FC in the Uefa Cup finals the season before !

But there is always hope !

Hajra Magyarok !

9. ISAarchive

ISAarchive Red Card

Jan 7, 2004
    Florida, USA
  10. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lucky bastard! :D :D

11. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really can't put my finger on what is wrong with hungarian soccer, they do not have huge stars but sometimes that means nothing. I belive they have good players on paper but for some reason they can't get the results on the field.
    I don't think Lothar was the right choice, the only advantage i see just maybe he will focus and have enough ambition to take this team back to his homeland for the WC.
    Hungary need an experienced coach who can inspire the players to play with heart for their country and play as a team.
    I own a tape of the Hungary-Brazil WC'66 game 3-1 with Bene, it was an amazing game and performace by the hungarians. I think they are not that bad and could do it if they have the right management and coach.

12. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    I honestly think there wasn't a strong winning attitude among the national team and its players in recent years. Thats why I believe Matthaus was such a great addition to Hungary, because as a champion himself, he will strengthen the minds of the Hungarians into believing that they ARE competitive and CAN win big games. It won't be overnight, but the talent usually proceeds after the right attitude. Look at Portugal.. out of nowhere they became a dominant European team for such a small country, and it wasnt because of "stars". Their few star players only became known much after they were on a winning streak.

I think Hungary will drop to Brazil 1-3. But! I think they'll beat Germany 2-1 in June. Lets see if the Magyars can back me up.

13. O.K.

O.K. New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    Debrecen, Hungary
    Hey folks,

I'm not sure how much feedback you get on hungarian football, but the situation is really not good here. We just lost to a Wales without Ryan Giggs (Matthäus punching a welsh player at the end, hehh). And now this friendly against Brazil...sure, they probably won't bother knocking us out, but that isn't the main concern here. The Puskás Ferenc stadium is in a terrible condition, they probably won't let more than 28.000 people in there...if that many would actually go see the game, because the suggested ticket prices are considered too high, about 30-40$'s. After that we will play Germany ...the last time we played them we lost 5-2 at the Puskás stadium (friendly). Well...I don't know...we DO need tough opposition to prepare for the WC qualifiers but these teams are just out of our league. We just might lose any little confidence we have in the national team...hmm...now I'm being too negative here. I just think that Belgium or any neighbouring countries we could play against could prove just as useful in this build-up period (Croatia, Slovenia or even the Czech).

Btw. Bayern Münich is also coming for a friendly to Hungary, to Győri Eto.

14. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Yeah I heard about the confrontation that Matthaus had with a Welsh player, but in an odd way, I kinda think it was a good idea on his part. Perhaps, he's trying to show his team that attitude which I was talking about earlier. His team needs to realize how serious and emotional he will be in the upcoming years, so they better be on his level. The attitude is changing, and thats what I like to hear! As for the stadium and pricing issues, well thats pretty tough. I just hope for the best, and hoping Hungary-Romania win the Euro 2012 bid. But if the infrastructure and support is not there, it will be really tough to get to host the event. Everybody (fans, city, governement, Hungarian banks, team) needs to come together to make something like that happen.

15. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    By the way, I'm noticing many people who are based in Hungary and who speak (or at least write) English very well... are you guys Hungarians who happen to speak English, or are you guys non-nationals based in Hungary for other reasons?

16. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    I am new to the country ( less than two months) but have been coming here for a while. I ask a lot of different people about the decline of Hungarian football (am very aware of the golden years through my grandfather, who worshipped the Hungarian teams of the 50s) I may be wrong (please put in your own thoughts o.k and zmse) but the consistent answers I hear for the decline are:

1) Competition from other sports (similar to many countries) Older people tell me you do not see kids playing in the streets anymore and they are as likely to play basketball as soccer
    2) Players are relatively well paid here and those who go abroad make a ton of money relative to most people. Thus, once at the highest level, they get content (have heard this from Mexican fans as well about some of their players)
    3) No connection with the glories of the past (even teams of the 80s are viewed as ancient history), thus the national team does not expect to do well, and the population does not expect them to do well either

I have not been here long enough to say whether this is true or not but these are the answers i hear from a cross section of Hungarians who I have met and discussed this with

17. O.K.

O.K. New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    Debrecen, Hungary
    MiamiAce,

Yes, I am Hungarian.

gremista,

there is so much more wrong with football in Hungary, than I would or could care to list here. There is the things you mentioned, but the players are the least of problems. The management of football is corrupted at every level here. For twenty years it's been the same people rotating around the teams. The same coaches with no accomplishment begin anew at another club and now they are outraged because a foreigner is hired to lead the national team. There is just no hope for rejuvenation until they die out.
    Ridiculous contracts with no financial backup are signed only to be ignored. The bringing up of talents is almost non-existant. The hungarian league is supposed to be a pro league but everything is so amateurish. Stadiums are a wreck. It just seems that every party involved in hungarian football is in it for the "big money".

The culmination of this process was last years friendly against Estonia in november (0-1) after the failed Euro 2004 qualification...Attendance: 500...that is abysmal.
    There would be good examples to follow how to put together a good national team (Romania has a good team, though their championship is just about the same level as our own), yet there are certain interests that prevent this. Bickering morons abound here and there's no light at the end of the tunnel...'tis doubtful that Matthäus alone can change anything here. It all seems so bleak at the moment. Let's hope for the best though.

18. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary
    Sobering post O.K.

Do not have the information to comment confidently on this but will begin asking my freinds and family what they feel about your thoughts

Thanks for the point of view

19. gremista

gremista New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary

confirmed today on the radio and by a family member at the sport university

surprised to learn that Brasil has never beaten Hungary in five games

20. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I passed thru Budapest 2 years ago, and i have to say i was very very impressed with the City. Its one of the most beautiful i seen, and very well advanced. I really can say it felt like i was at home, One can see the influx of foreign capital investments, so it just beats me why hasn't been any in their soccer. Yes i am surprised to hear that the stadiums are a wreck. It would only take some marketing and some vision to change things. How about finding a sponsor and renaming the Puskas stadium to lets say Motorola if they would sponsor it (you get the idea)the money could be used to fix the pllace and so on. it doesn't take one to be an Einstain to get things done, just common sense and the will. There are many Hungarian millionaries this days out there. let the clubs be privately own and ran, i don't know if they are, of course the coruption must be stopped.
    I think i said enough.

21. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    I'm surprised George Soros hasn't taken over the league, shaken it up, kicked out the corruption. He owns or did own an interest in the DC United team here in the States. Actually, with the amount of wealthy Hungarians, I am surprised we have never had our our Phil Anshutz (I think he owns half the teams in the USA's MLS) yet. If someone did do this kind of thing, they would have to be drastic. Get rid of the corrupt elements, incompetent administration, etc.

If these things would be done, I don't think Hungary would be too far off from competing for European titles again. Our youth teams regularly are among the best sides in Europe.

I also agree that we need more players playing in Spain, Italy, and England. Miki Feher was the closest to maybe being our first since Detari, but alas, rest in peace.

22. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    http://www.toffs.com/

They have [​IMG]

Plus two version of the 50's Red uniform, and a purple version.
    [​IMG]
    I did not know Hungary ever had a purple uniform.

23. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    '53, I've always wondered of Anshutz had some kind of ties to Germany which have put off Soros. Do you know anything about that?

24. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    What about the current President/Prime Minister of Hungary? I understand he's young and big into soccer. It certainly seems like he would be a good place to start.

25. hungaryforever

hungaryforever New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Hungary/Szarvas
    Our prime min is not young, nor interested in football. Perhaps you meant the recent.
    Our current prime minister is a communist, so do our government. They were all high ranked persons of the communist party before 1989. But I know it is a football forum, so I don't want to say more.

About Hungary-Brazil matches:

1954. wcf Hungary-Brazil 4-2
    G.: Kocsis (2), Hidegkuti, Lantos, ill. D. Santos, Julinho.

1966. wcf Hungary-Brazil 3-1
    G.: Bene, Farkas, Mészöly, ill. Tostao.

1970. fr Brazil-Hungary 0-0
    G.: -

1986. fr Hungary-Brazil 3-0
    G.: Détári, Kovács K., Eszterházy.

2004. fr Hungary-Brazil ?-?
    G.: ?