PBP: Hull City/Jozy v Bolton, 8/22 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Beantowner, Aug 19, 2009.

1. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

I think I am the only person who knows you were trying to be funny.

2. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was stunned by that. Awesome.

3. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, before today, have we ever had a player that we thought could get 2 goals and 2 assists in an EPL game?

That's what he could have very easily had in about 28 minutes of work.

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good debut. Won over the fans, for sure, and he'll probably be a fixture for Hull this season.

5. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    He's a big boy, carrying a lot of muscle. How well he can improve in the endurance department will go a long way in telling how successful he can be at this level. He's still young and has time to develop the staying power needed at the highest levels (without artificial help that is).

6. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hull, they were chanting USA when he came in, and he just rewarded them...

7. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I don't think so. I thought he did a good job w/ Aston Villa. I was surprised that Villa let him go. hmm. The EPL I think will do Jozy a lot better than La Liga. The EPL is taylor made for Jozy.

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that his first touch in the EPL ends with an acrobatic "assist."

PS - look at those horrible gridir....errr, rugby lines on the pitch! How terrible and bush league!! ;)

9. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good start for Jozy, yet reaching the deep subterranean depths of Lewis' shamelessly poor, fake English accent would take an incredible effort. ;)

10. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Brian McBride
    Joe-Max Moore
    ...Wegerle if you count him
    Bocanegra scored more goals in EPL than Shevchenko and a couple other big names one year

11. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Got to disagree. Brown expresses himself...that will prolly save his life.

The guys who keep it in are the guys who will drop dead.

Brown is also a very good coach..he'll always have a job somewhere and he knows it. If Hull relegates, he'll keep his job too. The coaches that are lucky to be there, and praying to stay in job...they got more stress too IMO

also, I'd like to keep Jozy's expectations down. He's just as likely to pull a Davies next week vs. score.

12. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pull a "Davies", As in Charlie? If you didn't watch todays game, Charlie was the only guy out there who looked like he wanted to win and played like it.

13. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    [result]
    just referring to the fact that Davies didn't score. This has got to be expected. Our guys aren't going to score every game. Actually 1 goal every 3 games is a good strike rate in any of the top 4 leagues.[/result]

14. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing he was as effective as he was, just flying in and with no fitness.
    Most of his camera closeups showed him with hands on his knees, sucking wind.
    It just gets better from here.

And to think, Altidore couldn't even make the bench for Xerez.
    What the hell was that all about?

15. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really need us to explain that CF again?

16. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard this later chant, too. It was seconds after Jozy and Zat Knight were bumping each other and Jozy went eyeball to chin with Zat with a bit of trash talking. So, I'm guessing the fans enjoyed Altidore's fighting spirit and chanted U-S-A for him again.

A few moments after that, Jozy out muscled Zat for the ball and had a decent run toward the penalty box, with Zat left in the dust grabbing his hamstring.

He'll need a song soon.

17. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    Trogdor-->Altidore?:confused:

War (Edwin Star)--> Altidore?

lol, i love it when players get their own songs

18. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its going to be interesting to see him play. He definitely has the American Football mentality. At 19 he's probably the most fiery on that team. Something that he needs to carry over for the Nats.

19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I first heard it right after he came on and right before his first (brilliant) touch in the game. Hull supporters are having a funny conversation about this chant over on their message boards, actually.

20. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the match from the 60 minute mark on. Was really pleased for him. I think that this move will be fantastic, especially if he is able to help keep Hull up. He clearly needs to get to match fitness (he's probably a few weeks off from 90) and definitely needs to get some time in with his new teammates as had he been a bit more unselfish Hull surely would have found a 2nd goal.

But this will come and he will have a very impactful year. I love Phil Bown. He goes after guys and plays them. Xerex, Villareal, Benfica, Monaco = SUSPECT.

21. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Well, they were promoted to La Liga. They must have been doing something right.

22. cklab

cklab Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Dallas
    Doesn't mean they couldn't have done better if they had played Jozy. The guy played well for Villareal in his few looks last season, and he played well today. I'd say that's pretty good evidence he'd have torn it up in the Segunda (?) division, which couldn't have hurt.

23. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Well, they couldn't have done better in the standngs. First is as good as you can do. I don't see why they took hom on loan in the first place, but if you come in first and are promoted to the top division than surely your club is doing something, and most likely quite a lot, right. I can't imagine anyone is bothering themselves too much with regret over the lack of paying time given to an on-loan forward from Villareal.

24. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    There are many examples of dead-head coaches not playing superior players (maybe because the players were foisted on them by Directors of Football or because of some training ground incident) - at West Ham: Tevez and Mascherano on the bench while the club almost got relegated and Derby which was relegated: with Feilhaber on the bench - both coaches subsequently fired for incompetence.

25. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quality coaches are far and few between (Brown, Ancelotti, Moyes, Ferguson, Wenger etc.) ..... who knows what Xerez, Benfica and Monaco have .... but my hat is off to Brown for his willingness to gamble and trust his players. Jozy is in a very good situation ... a team that needs him - coach that trusts him - fans that will appreciate him ..... Altidore has all the reasons in the world to play great for Hull.

Gillas reminds me of Davies - perfect partner for Altidore ....