Huh wants Lee Woon-jae back - huh?

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Elliad, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
  2. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    I'm shocked as you are, but Huh Jungmoo has this one right, we need Lee Woonjae to lead our young and inexperienced defense.

As for what he did, give me a break. All guys drink and f*ck during national call up. In fact, Lee Woonjae should come out and admit he drank and f*cked during the 2002 World Cup when he was for a full month one of the biggest heroes of the nation, because we all know he did. What the hell is KFA going to do? Take away his glory of 2002?

3. Juve_passion redded

Mar 9, 2005
    The Korean GK is not the problem.
    It's defenders and overall players mentality of the players.
    Players weren't as focused as they should have.

4. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    That's why we need Lee Woonjae and his '반반무' scream :)

5. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    i think the new gk and the new dline need to play together.

6. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    bringing fatty back isnt gonna help with our team in the long run. lee won jae isnt gonna play forever and we need kim yong dae to gel with our defense and get some experience. damn i'm hating the decisions that huh is making.

7. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think he's jumping the gun too.

This is the first time that I can remember where Kim YD has looked shakey.

Why is he getting so much slack?

8. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The bottomline of all this is that Huh is an idiot.

I have no problem with unbanning Lee Woon-jae and rest of the players that are serving the one year suspension, but if the reason for unbanning them is because Huh thinks the team isn't good enough without these guys, what was the point of getting rid of them in the first place?

If they're unbanning these players because KFA decided that the initial decision to ban them for a year was too harsh, then I'm all for it, but if it's simply because we tied Jordan at home, then KFA will officially be the most hypocritical organization of all sports. What's even worse is that it sounds like Lee Woon-jae will be the only one unbanned out of all four players. That's just ridiculous.

That was ONE bad game by Kim Yong-dae. Huh needs to stop crying. Stick with what you got and just coach the damn team.

9. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    More I think about this, more pissed I get.

If you're going to unban a player and bring him out of suspension because of game results, might as well start banning players when they suck. Suspend JJJ for year for sucking while you're at it.

10. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Absolutely. I was thinking about this yesterday and if the KFA yields, I will have lost what little respect for them I have left. Is it too late to write a letter to them to appeal for Kim Ho?

Tell that to this poor writer:
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2008/06/136_25123.html

Among other inconsistencies in his writing, like having supposedly tied with China in the EAFF Cup, he has an inexplicable man-love for JJJ. The guy is a JJJ apologist to the extreme - every article about the KNT, he writes something along the lines of how the KNT should be using the "towering/muscular/imposing/insert heterosexually questionable adjective here Jeonbuk Motors forward Cho Jae-jin". The problem, I feel, isn't limited to the players as this nut keeps trying to prove. It's the formation. Until Shin Young-Rok proves his worth as the Yellow Drogba, we should not be messing around with a target man role, we just aren't cut out for it.

Didn't anyone in the KFA notice how good a job strategy-wise Cho Dong-Hyun did with a small line-up against the USA? It's these kind of issues that somehow get lost in translation that really frustrate me.

11. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    People who write sports should make efforts to watch them. Put Shin Youngrok aside, Cho Jaejin has been been on the level of Lee Jinhoo in his target role. Not bad, but definitely not top-notch. The guy hasn't been anything really--target or shadow. He just jogs around the pitch looking for sitters and it somehow gets to him, LITERALLY. It's been productive for him so he probably has his own expertise on how he does this, but as just an average football fan, I say it's some kind of magic he's scored 5 goals already.

12. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is that the same idiot that went absolutely beserk about Ahn being re-called?

The guy is more clueless than Alicia Silverstone.

13. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    When will these ppl finally understand that JJJ is neither a target striker nor an aerial threat?

As hard as it is believe this, everything about his style of play tells me that he's a poor man's Peter Crouch. Literally EVERYTHING. A tall guy with little to no activity rate who has no business playing football other than his ability to jump out of the building, but not skilled enough to play as a lone striker to keep possession and shield the ball.

Except, of course, JJJ is shorter and has less ball skills.

As great as it would be, KFA will never make the offer and Kim Ho will never accept.

14. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    oh man... i am so onboard with the "WTF" bandwagon. I mean, if we are going to replace KYD, why don't we just take it all the way and replace Huh with Hiddink? I'll even settle for Verbeek.

I have to say though, watching those highlight clips, I was left wondering, WWLWJD? It's really too bad KYD didn't show that he is an exceptional goalkeeper.

JJJ is gone gone gone. We won't have to worry about this like we won't have to worry about return of jar jar binks.

15. Bluewings

Bluewings Member

Jun 16, 2006
    All I can say is, WTF??? IMHO, Huh is the worst thing that has ever happened to Korean Football. I am not sure if you were watching but this fellow, his names escapes me, found a small circle just outside the penalty box and stayed there the entire match. Only when PJS would make a run up with the ball would this fellow leave his circle. I think his name was...Ahn Jung Hwan???!!

The fact that this homosexual played 85 minutes showed just how much that Huh is trying to hold on to 2002 and give the fans what they want.

So, I propose an idea. Let's just let the fans vote through Naver of who they want on the team and the fans can decide the starting 11. Then Huh can take no responsibility for looking like a complete monkey.

16. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well according to this, the appeal has already been made by the man himself. We'll see how this goes.

17. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What a fcuking joke

18. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We really need to stop relying on LWJ. Not sure if he has another WC left in him.

19. Korvinus

Korvinus Member

Juventus
    Mar 24, 2007
    If Lee Woon-Jae did go to the 2010 World Cup, he'd be 37 yrs old compare him to David James (already 37) who appears to be Capello's Number One. It's not near impossible for Fatman, although, a new goalkeeper should be brought on for the future. Is KFA & Huh trying to make Lee WJ the "David Seaman" of Korea??? (That guy retired at near 40 yrs. after WC 2002)

20. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's not the point here, fellas

21. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    The following spring to mind off the top of my head:

Paolo Rossi: Just before 1982 World Cup Paolo Rossi’s 3 year ban was miraculously shortened to a two year ban allowing him to play for Italy in the 1982 World Cup which was only two months away. Did it matter that he was banned for being involved in one of the biggest football scandals for match fixing and illegal gambling whilst playing at Perugia? No not all. Enzo Bearzot took him the World Cup and after couple dud games Rossi paid dividends to those who arranged it for his ban to be lifted. At least Italy won the World Cup, if they hadn’t many a Italian or American Italian would have topped themselves due to onset of serious depression.

Serie A 1979 match fixing scandal - 1982 World Cup Winner.

Serie A 2005-6 match fixing scandal – 2006 World Cup Winner.

Moral of the lesson? Winning is all that matters.

Things like Rossi u-turn and reductions of punishment (ie the reduction of the points deducted from the clubs) do not matter as long as you win the World Cup. A dictator like Mussolini can fix the tournament for Italy to win, but at the end of the day how many stars do the Italians wear on their shirt? 4. Yes that’s 4. And do you think they are less proud of their first star? They probably don’t give a fck.

Rio Ferdinand: Got banned for eight months for missing a drug test and the ban was up held and he missed Euro 2004 and rest of the league that year. Prima facie, the English seemed to have got it right, men of great moral fibre. Dig a little deeper and the picture is not so rosy. Manchester United gave it their all to prevent the ban in the first place going on a misguided PR battle that backfired. It got peoples heckles up, it exuded arrogance, that Manchester United was was outside the rule of law. The FA dragged their feet in their decision making whilst Sven was trying to announce his squad selection. In the end FIFA gave the FA couple of warnings in the lines of ‘we are watching you, and if you don’t do it by the book, we are gonna do it for you and throw the book at him and you are going to look like an ineffectual bunch of powerless old men’.

FA was caught between a rock and a hard place. Prior to this, English football was under close scrutiny in the way they conducted drug test, many insiders acknowledging that clubs helped players to not get caught by dropping their names from the training roster if a test was scheduled and they suspect a player of having done (recreational drugs) in the last 24hrs. Bad timing for Rio to mis a drug test for some half arsed reason.

Add to that the fact England had Terry as a more than equal replacement and Jonathan Woodgate and Gareth Southgate as backups meant it was easier to imagine a tournament without Ferdinand. Plus Sven was no Englishman a la Hoddle as you will see below.

Alan Shearer: Just before 1998 WorldCup in France, during a league match against Leicester City Alan Shearer kicked Neil Lennon full on in the head. I saw that match, and it was a full on kick and not accidental. He should have been punished for it. However he threatened to not play in the World Cup which was only month or two away if charges were brought against him. Glen Hoddle the then England Manager backed Shearer up, pressuring the FA disciplinary committee that was investigating to drop the charges. Over the years I’ve heard a number of times that Glen Hoddle had apparently even have threatened he was prepared to resign aswell if Shearer got banned and consequently was prevented from playing in France.

Please note, I do not agree with this appeal for reduction in the ban period, especially under these circumstances for wholly hypocritical reasons. However, thought I’d share with you the above examples to give a wider picture on the whole thing, to show anyone and everyone can be and is a hypocrit.

22. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    The above points are in a nut shell the point.

It not about the KNT needing to stop relying on Lee Woon-jae and wC2010 etc.

Its about fairness and equity. Transparency and credibility. The example we are setting not only to children but to our society as whole, the line we need to draw for ourselves.

23. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    to those who follow the K-league, you would know about Incheon United's Bang Seung-hwan's case.

He got a year long ban for having a go at the ref by taking his top off and refusing to leave the pitch when he got sent off for a 2nd yellow. One year is the maximum sentence.

A review for reduction in the ban for such a case, in an objective, transparent and credible manner thats fine. And I wish him luck to that, not that he is appealing as far as i am aware. But more importantly hope he has learnt his lesson and that when he returns to competitive football he can find his form and fitness again and continue with his career a stronger person by overcoming his current difficulty which is of his making but perhaps of heavier punishment than anyone expected.

24. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    im now reading that Huh had this appeal in mind for sometime.

whether or not thats true, it still smacks of inequity. Reduce the ban on Lee Woon-jae but not the others, because he thinks he needs him and not the others?

admittedly i have not been following this in real detail but it seems clear as day that the timing of this issue and the way he said things seems to be a huge PR blunder.

Get a grip man.

25. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Huh was probably thinking that this was perfect time to hoot the horn for LWJ. LWJ is popular to begin with.. but now people are nervous.

If KNT were to (Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid it!) get knocked out of World Cup qualifying somehow, he can always be like, "Hey, what do you expect when i didn't have my best goalie?" Well... I can almost understand where Huh is coming from in terms of the kind of pressure he has on his shoulder to show results.

I don't know. If Korea were to get knocked out... I might even blame myself for not supporting Huh.

Huh is like George W Bush. He is very good at manipulating my fears. I shall now call him the puppet-master. We must hold fast to our ideals! There are no WMDs in KYD's trousers.