Huh Jung Moo Quits as Assitant Coach

Discussion in 'Korea' started by cosmicbutthairs, Nov 26, 2004.

1. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    I saw on the news this morning that a possible replacement might be the legendary Hwang Sun Hong. Hopefully this is true as he could bring back the fire from 2002.

2. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    That would be good. Also, why not bring Hong back as a coach? They will add respect, teamwork, and WC experience to the Korean NT.

3. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    I agree. Hong will definitely make the back play their hearts out.

4. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    I think it's a little early for those two but I'm glad this Huh Jung-moo is gone.

5. cha doo ri

cha doo ri Member

Jul 17, 2004
    L.A.
    i think its a bit early for hong but i like the idea of hwang taking over for huh.....

6. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    I dunno, it might not be a good idea for Hwang to get too involved during Bonfrere's tenure.

Just out of interest does Hwang speak English (or Dutch ;) )? Huh said that he was unable to communicate with Bonfrere and that he never actually said to Goldmember he was quitting, he told the KFA instead because Bonfrere was out the country.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/sports/200411/kt2004112520372511630.htm

7. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Well, I think it is a good idea for Hong & Hwang to play a defense, offense coaching roles rather than take over what Huh did for NT.

Hiddink was successful mixing old and young players in WC02 mainly because we had good balance of aging but highly respected players and newbies trying hard to just make the team. If you look at the current starting team, we have bunch 20 something players playing abroad who think too much of themselves. Noone has been able to unite them to play a good team game. Hong & Hwang may just help do that off the field.

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But do either of them have enough coaching experience to make a difference? I know Hong wanted to stay in the US after the MLS Cup playoffs so he could learn a bit about coaching. I mean, I completely understand what you're saying about Hong and Hwang, but from what I've seen at least, it never seems like players become good coaches. At least not after a few years away from their playing careers.

9. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    They don't have coach experience but can certainly lead younger players to approach the game with better attitude. Anyway, we are all speculating and wishing. It won't likely to happen.

10. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no doubt. I think it'd be inspirational just to see Hong and Hwang on the bench. I especially loved Hwang Sun-Hong so it'd be real cool to see. I'm not doubting their skills, just a bit skeptical and not really sure what it'd do for the Korean NT in a time when it seems like they can't slip up anymore.

11. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    hwang is coming in the squad as an assisatnt coach,

Huh was a big supporter for Lee Dong Guk, and he is gone now so we will see what happens

12. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

With all due respect to Hwang, he would be terrible as a coach. He is from and of the old guard of Korean footie players. This means, the tradition and culture of the heirarchy system is just embedded in him. He has been known to get angry with younger teammates if they provided lousy service or displayed naive plays on the pitch when a pat on the back would be more of a confidence boost than scorn that kills it.

Compare him to the actions of other, younger players where they applaud mistakes committed by youngsters, pat them on the back, and give them a boost in confidence by being understanding.

Sorry, but Hwang would make a terrible, terrible coach. There was most likely a reason Hwang was never given captaincy.

13. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good point although I seem to remember seeing Hwang console Lee Chun-Soo during the Germany game in the World Cup. But yeah, I think encouragement is important for the younger players, but maybe a hard-ass is what these younger kids might need in order to be more disciplined.

14. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Yup! Let's bring back some discipline.

15. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Discipline is good when rationality, reason, and accountability are involved. We all know the Korean way of discipline. It's the total opposite of that. It's obey your elders/superiors or die sort of mentality. And that is not good.

16. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    This is not what I am advocating. One can instill discipline in different manner that "obey your elders at all cost." Young players these days will NOT respond to that. Hwang & Hong know that for sure. Hong in particular should have learned that in Galaxy. So, I am giving a bit more credit to what Hwang & Hong can do without relying on "obey or die" approach.

17. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

I don't know if Hong is like Hwang, but Hwang is a hardcore "obey or die" sort of authoritarian with youngsters. There was friction between Hiddink and Hwang because of this during the Dutchman's tenure with our national squad because Hwang was resistant towards the open way Hiddink had approached the way he had the team gel together.

18. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Well, for Hwang's sake, I hope he evolves to be a better coach. You can't go too far with hardline approach with millionaires who are playing in Europe.

19. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Last I heard about Hwang was that he was in England (and other nations in Europe) studying the game. But I don't think Hong or Hwang would be ready to coach a team especially Hong, he is still a player. Maybe when Hwang gets some experience coaching in the minor leagues should the kfa consider giving him the role of an assistant coach.

20. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Hong is now retired.