huebner's latest column 7/30

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naaah.... That'd have to go to "clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap FIRE!"

That's the one I wish we'd move away from. I solidified my thoughts on this after watching a rerun of Saturday Night Live with Molly Shannon and Will Farrell beating on a little snare drum and chanting "Dog Show!" in one of the worst bits ever on the show.

2. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny. It works really well for the Screaming Eagles. I thought the castrations were to keep them from procreating, but I guess the reasons were twofold. Man, can they reach those high notes.

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    and why in the hell should anyone care what European teams have for stadiums?

4. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I can't tell anybody apart...whatever it was..it was amusing to me. And at time, kinda cool.

5. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Extremely. But the boys with the bass drum win every time.

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    And that is the one chant that is almost universally used throughout the world, no less, complete with the arm raising...

7. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    I'm beginning to think the next subject for Christopher Guest to tackle is American soccer fans.
    Yep. I can just see Eugene Levy with scarf wrapped around his shoulders leading songs and negotiating with elements of the crowd, the team, and concerned community groups.

8. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Yes! A life lesson I provided to my sons that night....stick with whatever the guys with the big drum are chanting. (even though we were right behind the other group). Guaranteed success every time!

9. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a daughter or two?

10. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about something similar to the ILL-INI chant were half say FI (Bassdrum: bum bum bum) RE (Bassdrum: bum bum bun). And repeat.

11. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know... "Fire" is often made into a two syllable word, but that's taking it to a new level.

FIE!

ERRRRR!

I don't think so. Half would sound like angry English giants, and the other half would sound constipated.

The Quakes have done this for a long time... back to when they were the Clash.

I think it sounds awful.

When it was the clash... my wife and I used to comment, when watching a televised match, that it sounded like...

"BOOM BOOM blaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"
    "BOOM BOOM blaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

It was odd... almost like only the women and children yelled "Clash!"

12. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean spell it out! I probably should've explained that better.

Half of us: F-I!
    Other half: R-E!

13. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i think i'll go get a bottle of water during that one.

14. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooooooooooh!

Spell it out. Gotcha. Man, I really did NOT want to hear half a stadium yelling "ERRRRRR!"

I think that may be a little tough to coordinate through the stadium.

For nine home games, I doubt we'd make it past the F-I... then a few would start to catch on... maybe.

15. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    I think what we should really be concentrating on is getting the ENTIRE stadium involved. Granted, "Whos the best?" works well because its call and response but if we only have 15,000 we should be able to get them all to do a chant and keep it going. I think if we could get the whole stadium going it would be far more fun that trying to think of new chants.

16. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know... as funny and entertaining as people thought the chant division in Section 8 was... it alienated Section 9 completely.

Believe it or not, Section 9 actually attempted to start some cheers and work with some of the people in Section 8. It was cool. I always feel that when people outside of Section 8 make a real attempt to get involved, Section 8 should join in.

However, every time they tried something... the people half way up the stands would start with the "Lo lo lo lo lo... lo lo lo lo lo... lo lo lo lo lo... lo lo lo lo lo lo lo FIRE!" which got REALLY old, to be honest.

I'm sure that's why the other section tried to start something else... they were tired of it... but still... there has to be more involvement with the rest of the stadium, or it'll just be Section 8 vs. the World forever.

17. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    my money is on section 8 VERSUS the world forever. :)

18. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    If I recall, the Who's the Best chant didn't catch on spontaneously in other sections. Section 8 sent a delegation to teach us in the Eastern seats (were we the Orange seats?) When Section 8 shouted "Orange Seats: who's the best," the delegation were the only ones who knew to respond. After a couple times, the rest of the section caught on. By the next game, there were enough people that it just worked. Were any of you in that first group of ambassadors to us plebes?

I think you could do the same spelling out F-I-R-E, sending. It would be coolest if it went around the stadium one letter per side, getting louder each time around. I don't think it'd be that tough to teach, if you had a 15 people in each section to act as the seeds. The first few times, it would go around FFFFF - i - r - e, with Section 8 shouting a loud F, and everyone else sounding like a whisper. But by the end, it would be thunderous.

19. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States