huebner's latest column 7/30

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Jul 30, 2002.

1. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Except for that turnover in the box.

2. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed that... was it in the first 25 minutes? I hadn't arrived yet.

Vaudreuil scared me with that weak little backpass thing. I don't know what in the world he was trying to do.

3. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He had control of the ball and all he had to do was clear it, instead he coughed it up to Quesedilla on a lame pass. They recovered OK but it's the kind of bumble that makes you bury your head in your hands.

4. huebsutd

huebsutd New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Iceblink...

I am sorry, the chants are just wrong. If you can't be more creative than using profanity...i feel bad for those fans.

Just my opinion.

Heck, in England, you can't understand what the heck they are saying, but I must say, Section 8 is very clear.

5. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Wasnt that Vaudy's fault. That was the way I saw it. But you were closer to it then I was cuz I like to sit up near the top.

6. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about that. You claimed to be a non-sensitive person. Yet, here you are, not only being upset by the chants, but even feeling sorry for people. Sounds a bit like hypersensitivity to me.

And I've said it over and over. *************** creativity. That's not what it's all about. In truth, I have joined the group who attempts to chant positive things over the other ones... but creativity? Whatever.

Do you mean over the tv? So, now you've gone from the fans in Europe being "notorious for their creative cheers and chants" to not even being able to understand them at all... in England.

7. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've gotcha now, Fred.

8. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell by the way you censor CRAP.

9. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah!

I was gonna call him on that. I'm glad someone did.

Too funny.

10. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    From what I can remember, crap wasn't one of the Seven Words mentioned by George Carlin. Still some radio standards stay the same, while others permit quite a bit more.

Guess, it's Naperville's desire to have WGN-AM standards - that shouldn't surprise us.

Wonder how the sound will carry in the refurbished Soldier Field?

11. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the frickin' hell did Naperville even enter into this conversation?

12. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    good question.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    There are many of us who wish Naperville never entered into ANY discussion related to the Fire ;)

14. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But of course without Naperville the Fire would be playing in Milwaukee (might be ok) or in a wheat field in Iowa for 2 seasons. At least there is somewhere somewhat local to see the team. Sure it might not be idea but it is better than many non 1st div teams have in Europe. Then again they have grass. Hmm.

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Would the farmer give us a cut of concessions and parking?

16. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, there are worse places than Iowa to play.

I'd drive out for the games :)

17. Cougar Jim

Cougar Jim New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Chicago
    Sorry, Iceblink, but I'm with Huebs on this one. Yes, I've heard all the words, even use them myself frequently when the situation calls for it. But, it's not because PW wants to cater to the suburban families-I don't want to open up that can of worms again. The fact is, the YSA chant has gotten old and stale. And, my opinion is that really good fans are (here's that word again) creative with their chants and set the standards rather than copy them.
    For example, one reason I think a lot of Cub fans are moronic is that they have never invented a tradition themselves. Well, OK they throw homerun balls back but how idiotic is that? Everything else-the curtain calls, standing and making noise for the last out of a game-they've copied that from other fans (often, Sox fans!).
    The last two games I've been to, all of a sudden we're doing the WAVE??? If that is not the ultimate b******t that fans can do! I have never seen anything about a wave translate as "Let's go Fire". Waves are all about the fans, they are NEVER about the team you say you're supporting.
    Whew, feels good to vent! I know I'm opening myself up for a lot of crap here, but what the hell! Bring it on!

18. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    What do you mean "old and stale"? Why, that chant had the five year old boys who sat behind me on Wednesday positively GIGGLING!

Seriously, though, this is my main beef with "YSA", not the word "ass-hole". It's five years old and, unlike some classic chants and cheers, the passing years have left it in the dust. Time to move on. I'd say the same if we were still in SF.

As for creativity, to listen to some people here you'd think each and every European soccer fan (not to mention the Koreans) is a veritable Ray Davies or a one-man Lennon/McCartney pumping out at least 14 hilarious and "creative" songs per game. Puh-leez! They also use hoary old chants and sing the same few songs their grandfathers sang. Sure, every once in a while you hear of a funny new song from the terraces but I'm guessing 90% of the chants I heard in England, for example, were old. I knew the words to most of them before I even set foot in England. And they don't even have the excuse of having to find songs that can be sung by people who don't all speak the same language. So let's put this myth of all European stadia positively overflowing with oh-so-creative songwriters to rest, please. Thanks.

19. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Let's go Fire, let's go! is possibly the most unimaginative, uninspiring and mundane chant I've ever heard. I still love cheering it though because a group of Fire fans chanting in unison is better than no chanting at all.

20. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Well, we all tried to do Mimi's aria from La Boheme a few weeks back and it was a disaster. :D

21. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I thought the Ultras and the Branburners chanting two different chants at the same time was kinda interesting. It would even sound good if you could get half and half for the whole stadium.

22. joseph pakovits

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    It reminded me of that scene in Die Walkure where Seigfried and Brunhilde stand on stage for an hour and holler to completely different music.

23. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    If you're referring to Wednesday and the impetus to keep cheering 'lo lo lo'or start something new in the second half, that was hardly a Ultras/Barn Burners division.

24. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    quite right. that was a ultras/ultras division. and quite amusing i might add.

25. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man... you people need some serious reading remediation. I'm starting to think that some of you read every third word and assume you understand. Well, there's that old addage about assume... When you assume, you make an ass of yourself... and then there's ME to call you on it.

Never did I say that I DON'T agree with him. So don't apologize to me for your opinion.

I simply want him to stop two things.

1. I want him to stop making arguments from an ignorant standpoint.

2. I want him to realize what he is and be comfortable with it.

Then we, in Chicago, even if we cut out all forms of profanity, are bad fans... because I haven't heard anything creative from Section 8 in FIVE YEARS... and I like it that way. I like it LOUD! I like it in UNISON... I like HIGH INTENSITY!

But creativity? What for? Then you end up with one or two guys singing T.S. Eliot's "The Wasteland" or Tennyson's "The Lady of Shalott" all by themselves.

Ummm... so have we. We have very few songs that aren't European in origin. Yes, it's true... Celta Vigo doesn't often yell "SHEEEE! CAAAAH! GOO!" But I'm willing to bet a lot of cash that they go "Lo lo lo lo lo!"

Sometimes the fans need something for themselves as well. Who cares? I honestly don't get the whole wave dislike. I think it looks pretty cool sometimes, and it gets everybody involved. It's like a large-scale version of the clapping thing that gets everybody working together.

I saw the wave at a freakin' Champions League final. Think it's too college football? Then why, throughout Europe, do they refer to it as the "Mexican" wave? It obviously holds some sort of international flavor for someone.