Hudson Valley

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by needs, Jun 11, 2004.

1. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    So I'm moving to the Hudson Valley in the fall and need to find a place to live. I'm working about 15 miles north of Hyde Park, near Rheinbeck, and my wife has an interview for a job in Rockland County. We're going to live someplace in between and have thought about Poughkeepsie, New Paltz, Kingston. Any opinions on any of those places or other cities/towns in the mid-Hudson Valley appreciated.

We're looking for a place that has at least some kind of downtown you can walk around, decent non-chain restaurants, access to trains to the city, etc.

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    My mother-in-law and her husband moved from Manhattan (115th and Broadway) to Tarrytown about five years ago. It's a pretty nice town, but it might be a bit too south for you.

3. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    There's nothing to do in Tarrytown.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I think that's one of the reasons they wanted to move there from Manhattan. Both of them still work in the City.

Actually, Tarrytown is a pretty nice town.

5. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    We were out last weekend and I think we've decided to live further north in the valley. We liked Rhinebeck and New Paltz a lot, Poughkeepsie was ok, Kingston not so much. It is refreshing to see elevation change after coming from Michigan. The most surprising thing was the stark inequality in the urban areas on the west side of the river; Newburgh reminded me of some of the poorer parts of Detroit.

6. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Good Foie Gras

7. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Where at?

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  9. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Beat me to it. I see that you have good taste.

When I was in Scotland I was dying to find a place with foie gras as I have yet to taste the real deal. Unfortunately, my search was fruitless. So, I have no idea how this compares to the genuine article. I can say that it is damn good!

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The stuff from Hudson Valley is the real deal. They make it the same way the French do, namely stuffing the birds to the point of bursting so their livers will get big and fatty. I've had stuff from Hudson Valley, and I've had stuff in Perigord (Dordonne) France, and I find it impossible to tell the difference.

They use the stuff from Hudson Valley at a lot of good restaurants in DC, and no one knows any better except the chefs.

11. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    French Foie Gras is actually goose liver as opposed to duck. I am glad to hear that there really is no difference so I don't have to go out of my way to search out their product. It is not imported, so my only chance to find it would be in Europe.

I think Hudson Valley produces most of the Foie consumed here in the states. I know of one other producer in Northern California, but have not tasted their stuff.

I can rest easy now.

Thanks Lastort!

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  13. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
  14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yeah, it pretty much varies from region to region. In Perigord, the "classic" foie gras is made from goose liver, but lots of places have started using duck more often. It's cheaper, and there's really no difference in the way they taste.

Man, this thread is making me hungry.

15. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Me too and fortunately, I have a lobe in the freezer. Gonna make me some foie with figs and a balsamic reduction right now.

16. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    When I lived in PO-town a lifetime ago (1989-1994 RIP), I enjoyed eating at Mariner's Harbor across the Hudson in New Paltz. I don't know if it is still there but whenever I had family from out-of-state visit, they would want to go there for dinner. Good seafood/lobster at a great price.

Downtown Rhinebeck was a great little town to walk around. Quaint little shops. Artsy-type movie theaters. Great cafes.

There were a couple of nightclubs in downtown Poughkeepsie that my friends and I frequented. We also attended a couple of music concerts in a small Po-town club: Amy Mann of Til Tuesday and Tears For Fears. To demonstrate our musical interest diversity: we also attended the Styxx and the Power concerts at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center

When I lived in PO-town, I could not wait to leave. I now look back at that time in the mid-Hudson Valley fondly. I would not mind visiting again someday.

17. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Thanks for the tips. Decided to live in Rhinebeck and got a place within walking distance of downtown. I'm definitely excited by the hiking across the river and the food all over the region. Maybe not so much about the music scene...

Oh, and thanks for the foie gras discussion. I'm drooling all over my desk now.