Hudson May Leave United At End of Season (WP, 10/19),

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by gocaps, Oct 18, 2003.

1. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather have Ray in Florida than dropping dead on the pitch. It is hard for Ray to give anything less than 100% of himself to any endeavor, particularly one involving futbol. He's made comments earlier in the year like "regardless of where I am, I am a DC United fan and always will be" that made me wonder whether he was contemplating a move to the booth.

I love Ray's passion and sincerity. Whether he likes it or not, I count him as a friend. There is always a cold 'ice tea' and a spot in the Barra next to me if he ever wants it. I'm with him, whatever his decision, because he bleeds black and red just like the rest of my friends.

Let's get our six points to end the season and then take care of business on the playoff fields. Everything else will take care of itself -- except maybe we'll need to remind Ray to take care of himself.

GM

2. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [size=+2]
    We're all part of Hudson's Army.
    We're all out to win the League.
    And we'll really shake 'em up,
    When we win another Cup
    For United is the greatest futbol team!
    [/size]

I can visualize a particularly energetic rendition of this song today. Maybe more than a couple of times, too.

GM

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For the sake of argument, let's assume this is true and that Ray, for whatever reason, isn't coaching United after this season.

Then what?

Does the Ellinger rumor get a new life?

Is Trask the best candidate to step in for Ray?

Do they go after an MLS assistant coach like Dom Kinnear, Brian Bliss, Ralph Perez or Denis Hamlet?

Does Curt Onalfo get considered?

Do they look for an experienced A-Leaguer like Bob Lilley, Chris Ramsey or Pat Ercoli?

Do they try the college route and go after a proven winner like Ray Reid, Sasho Cirovski or the coach of the reigning NCAA champs, who also has some MLS experience, Tom Fitzgerald?

Do they consider a fired MLS coach like Mike Jeffries or Dave Dir?

(BTW, some of these guys have ties to the area. Lilley and Hamlet both went to GMU and Hamlet, Ellinger and Jeffries ae all from Maryland. Perez coached at Old Dominion. Cirovski, obviously, coaches at Maryland.)

4. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Lots of good questions Sandon..

I'll try and tackle a few (all speculation of course)..

The Ellinger rumor just might have some legs now.. Since John Harkes announced last night that Freddie Adu's signing with MLS is "done, or just about done" and that "he is going to D.C. United", Ellinger would be the one guy on this planet who knows Adu best, but with that being said, I doubt he would be named the coach on that basis alone.. There simply is no way to tell if he can coach precocious professional players..

If I were Onalfo, I'd stay right where I am under the wing of Bruce Arena.. I know coaching United is about as high profile an MLS job there can be, but he probably still needs to learn the ropes..

If Ray does go, it's hard to say what direction Payne would go.. Let's face it, Payne is still the de facto GM of this team and he and Hudson do not exactly see eye to eye on many things United related..

One thing I wouldn't want to see is re-tread MLS coaches like Fitzgerald or Dir on our sideline..

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Chris, will the coaching decision be Payne's?

Do Zack and Kasper have that little authority that they don't get to hire the coach? If so, they are little more than Payne's lapdogs and that would be sad.

Also, can yo elaborate on the the things/issues where there have been conflicts between Payne and Hudson. And, is this a factor in Hudson wanting to leave, which would be a big story, not to mention sad?

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Then things get really interesting.
    When did the rumor die? I'm pretty sure his MLS stock has fallen after the pitiful performance at the U-17 WC. I do think he's still the guy to guide youngesters up to the cusp of the profesional ranks. I'm less convinced now that he himself can make the jump to the professional ranks. The goals are too different. It's all about long term player development in his current position. Can he think about winning the game next week and the week after that and the week after that? I'm not so sure.
    I'll just go on record and say that I don't favor retaining Trask as coach. He knows his defensive stuff but it's never been obvious to me that he has a clue about generating offense. So he's tactically exactly what we had this year. I, for one, wasn't impressed this year with the overall performance of the team. I'd prefer someone who's a bit more - how shall I put it - complete.
    Any Arena assistant, I suspect, is by definition a consideration. I basically trust Arena. If Onalfo is good enough for him I suspect he'd be good enough for us. (That's not to say there might not be better candidates out there.)
    Repeat after me: No MLS retreads! No MLS retreads!

Another consideration - There might be three or four coaching positions up this off-season. DC United, Columbus, Dallas (and very maybe LA) will be looking for new coaches.

7. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    No car tax in Florida. If Ray still has a residence in Florida, it makes financial sense to keep his car registered there...that's why all of the military folks in the DC area who have ever been stationed in Florida keep their cars registered there.

I hope Ray gets and stays healthy in a hurry.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Another question ...

Given this article how likely do you think it is that Hudson won't be back next year? I think it's quite likely he's got one foot back in Florida already. Otherwise I doubt this article would be written.

If Goff's confident enough to write this then I think it's reasonable to suspect that all signs point to his certain departure. Indeed, the more I think about this the more I suspect this is basically an orchestrated heads up to prepare the fans for Hudson leaving. I suspect the decision has already essentially been made. They just don't want to talk about it yet.

Is that crazy?

9. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Nah, that's not crazy, though I'd think that the decison is still informal. Still, as JoeW says above, the upper management of the team has not been totally supportive of Ray and that has a lot to do with Ray's possible leaving. As to possible successors:

-Onaflo- I agree that he will most likely stay with Arena through 2006. Still DCU is the one MLS job that would make him change his mind.

-Ellinger- Definitely on the short list. He's not gonna coach kids forever. His stock is down somewhat after Finland, but I think it's more down with BS posters than with the likes of Payne.

-Trask- He will be considered- Hudson will lobby for him- but I say he gets passed over because of the lack of head coaching experience and the fact that he's too associated with Hudson and that offense he doesn't generate. I do see him landing a head coaching job eventually in MLS but probably he'll first coach in the A-league. Maybe he gets the new Florida franchise? (Now that's wild speculation.) :)

- Other MLS assistants- Kinnear, Bliss, Perez or Hamlet. I fully expect Kinnear to get hired somewhere, but my gut says not with us. Same with Perez. Brian Bliss onthe other hand feels like a fit to me and so I put him on the short list.

A-league coaches- Lilley is the most prominent and I expect him to get consideration. I don't see anyone else really.

-Cirovski? One can imagine this since he's local and now very successful. But I have no idea if he wants to leave a cushy job. Does he have, say, Arena's balls?

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    We should just call El Bruce and hire who he recommends.

11. Libero6

Libero6 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it more than probably that, should Hudson leave, Trask would take over with Stoich as assistant? Considering the team makeup at the moment, it makes sense to keep someone that already has experience handling these guys.

As for Ray, he definately has aged beyond his 48 years while at United and that's a shame to see. I'd love to see him in the booth (watching the censors freak out would be enough fun!). I'd also love to see him at the helm of another Florida team (like Ajax Orlando, set to enter the A-League in 2005). Bottomline, this man (love him or hate him) gave DC United everything he had and whatever he decides to do after this season, he deserves a vacation and all our thanks.

12. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whos next?

ok so if hudson is fired who's next, so far we've had bad coaches since bruce left. anyone have an idea of a good coach for dc

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... mod's note ...

... merged. Already under discussion here.

---------------------------------------

Apparently Hudson denied this article before the game. Word on ESPN2 is that he was pretty pissed off about the fact that it had been printed. Who knows what to make of that.

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    From what we've heard, if we don't make the playoffs, Hudson's gone. So it won't be a matter of S Florida having nice weather, it will be because this team CHOKED!!!!!!

MAN I'm sick of these games where we CAN'T FINISH. The Metros game early in the year we're up 1, we lose in OT. This last Columbus game. The Metros game earlier where we give up the tying goal in the end

WHEN ARE SOME PLAYERS ON THIS TEAM GOING TO KILL THE GAME OFF. I'm talking about a FEW guys, not everyone. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE

15. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Can you blame Ray for going crazy having to deal with Marco and Hristo every friggin day?

Those two egos are enough to drive a man insane.

And to think, we almost added Harkes to that mix...

I don't think God himself could have controlled that three ring circus.

Ray has to do what's best for him and his health, if that means walking away, so be it.

16. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You've definitely got that wrong. There were a range of stories out that Gough was about to be named the next coach of DCU, that he'd been offered the job. It was Gough who printed the story that said that despite what Gough had publicly said in a radio interview, the job had been offered to NO-ONE at that time. Eventually though Gough was the finalist and Payne was talking with him. Then contraction happened quickly and Hudson became available and the focus shifted from Gough to Hudson in about 24 hours (and Hudson is supposed to have made a very quick decision).

You're trying hard to argue that Goff isn't very good and you're just digging a deeper hole. There's a simple rule when you find yourself in a hole--stop digging. Stephen Goff has a reputation as one of the best soccer journalists in the country. He's (according to SI's count) one of the top 3 or 4 in terms of most "caps" (USMNT games attended). He usually scoops the USSF roster announcements for camps and callups.

17. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I wholeheartedly agree. I'd say Trask is part of Hudson, while it is possible Hudson stays and Trask goes, the more likely scenario is that either both goes or both stays. Trask will not be given a chance at a head coaching job until Ray's team wins consistently, and obviously, it is not doing that. At least Andrulis' teams are entertaining. Trasks ... have received no instruction how to attack goal, and have been to scared about losing posession to have the confidence to do so.

I do not expect Sigi to be fired, he's one of the top coaches in MLS and US Soccer. He's won everything and had one slightly down year, so he's not a consideration.

I'd think Ellinger is the top candidate with college coaches being the other choices. I doubt an assistant gets to cut his teeth at DC, and that includes Onalfo. Remember, both Bradley (Princeton) and Sarachan (Cornell) were highly successful collegiate head coaches prior to being MLS assistants.

One off-the-wall possibility would be Frank Yallop. If San Jose were to be sold to Club America (or another Mexican club) and went in another direction, I'd imagine that Yallop's choices would be between being the Canadian National Team Coach, or becoming the DC United coach. It is probably still too early to take the reigns of Canada just yet, because their golden generation is still pretty young. I must say though, that San Jose is highly unlikely to be sold to any foreign investor, so this is a very off-the-wall discussion item. :D

-Digital

18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where have you heard that? Besides speculation on these boards, I mean.

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I would hope it's axiomatic in MLS that you're fired if your team doesn't make the playoffs two years in a row.

20. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Here's one place, from this board's "trusted source" Goff:

I can't imagine the team would make a coaching change during the season, but if DCU doesn't make the playoffs, I'm sure Ray will have to fight for his job. I don't think the money is preventing a change right now; rather, the club seems willing to stick with him for the entire season.

from http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/03/sp_sports_goff071403.htm

I find it hard to believe after an abysmal collapse to again not make the playoffs this year, after a last place finish last year, along w/Goff's latest report about Hudson wanting to talk w/Payne about some things and enjoying S Florida over DC, and Hudson w/out a contract next year, he'll be back if we don't make the playoffs.

And frankly, he doesn't deserve to come back if we don't make the playoffs. And I'd find it hard to believe there's a majority of fans who thinks he should come back if we don't make the playoffs. F this, he NEEDS to make the playoffs. PERIOD.

21. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Agreed, Bud. I love Ray's enthusiasm, but man, to collapse like this has to mean he falls on his sword...

22. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    If Hudson does leave, he should go straight into the booth. I absolutely love this guy, simply because he cares about you guys so much. He should go straight to the booth, and combine with JP Delacamera or someone to do both MLS games, and US Nats matches.

23. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    The last time we did this, Thomas Rongen was hired :)

24. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I still say we need to go after Glenn Myernick.

25. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    My darkhorse coaching candidate is Mo Johnston who is an assistant with Bradley IN NY.