Hudson May Leave United At End of Season (WP, 10/19),

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by gocaps, Oct 18, 2003.

1. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've kind of suspected something like that might happen with Ray. If he does leave I hope MLS finds a way to keep him involved in the league. I've said it before but it bears repeating - if there was ever a natural soccer ambassador it's Ray Hudson.

Don't miss the notes at the bottom ...
    That's unfortunate about Earnie. And I didn't know about the Convey stuff. Perhaps it wasn't just the work permit denial funk ...

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'm sure a lot of people here would love to see him go for whatever reason. It would definitely be a shame if he left because of this though. Get well soon, Ray!

Interesting notes at the end. I hadn't known about Bobby's sickness, and that explains a lot about his play.

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I don't want Ray to leave because of health reasons, but we need a coach who can develop younger players as well as give them playing time. I would love to see Ray become the color guy for ESPN, people would love him in that role.

I don't think anybody knew about Convey having bronchitis, that is a bitch to get over.

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Too bad there isn't a team still in S. Florida. But we've all seen this year what a toll it has been on Ray.

Interesting about Convey too. And if Earnie doesn't play, what might we see? Convey in the middle? Dema in the middle with Nellie at d-mid? or Namoff?

6. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    So who will replace Ray?

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Interesting article.

8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    That was a whole lot of info to take in at once. I knew that Hudson was having health problems, but didn't realize how that and other things were affecting him. I for one wouldn't be surprised if he didn't coach next year, though his loss would be great. However, he could very well stay on in some other aspect.

The news at the problem was kinda shocking. I'm sure everyone realezed that Convey was having problems, but playing sick is a real bitch to deal with. I hope he gets better in time for the playoffs.

9. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus New Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Shady Thicketts
    Actually, there's supposed to be an new A-League team that will be playing in Ft. Lauderdale at Lockhart in 2004...now why does that seem like a perfect fit for Ray? :)

10. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray may be a helluva manager, but this could give him the opportunity to let his true talents shine...in the booth. Just imagine Ray as colorman during any broadcast. Should be better for his health, too.

But, MLS may have to run a 5-second delay and hire someone to keep their thumb on the bleeper.

11. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Not exactly the best time for this article to come out IMHO..

This could very well be a convenient excuse for Hudson to walk away should we somehow manage to blow this lead..

I do understand however if Hudson is feeling a bit homesick.. He does certainly looked like he has aged quite a bit since he's been here and he also had health issues while with the Fusion as well..

Maybe coaching in MLS is not for him..

I've heard some back room rumblings about this for the past few months and it now appears to be coming to light, at just the worst time..

Pretty convenient that Bob Lilley campaigns for an MLS coaching job just a few days ago now isn't it?

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

I thought about that too.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I three. This is how BigSoccer.com rumors get started.

14. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was the perfect time for this story to come out. Goff got the story and the Post ran with it. Chris, if you've heard backroom rumblings about this for the "past few months," then someone else surely has and could have had this story, too (that's not a jab at you, by the way). Maybe Steve's had the story for some time, too, and he could only now get people on the record to talk about it. This development about Ray does not surprise me, but given I'm no longer around the team anymore - it's also not something I've had reason to track down.

Good work to Steve for once again leading the way.

I hope that whatever Ray does, here or elsewhere, it works out for the best. That said, this season isn't over yet.

ECM

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The ad I got at the bottom of this story was for real estate listings in Florida. Talk about knowing the target market ;)

If Ray goes, I hope the next coach is here for a long time. We need some stablility in the coaching ranks.

Sachin

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely disagree. We need more of this, from day one, This league needs the microscope turned up by the media. The teams need reporters not afraid to ask the hard questions and burn a bridge or two. The sport needs columnists in mainstream outlets willing to take people to the woodshed.

This is a great story. I expect nothing less of people who cover the team than to follow up every rumor, every hint, every hunch that their time allows.

Timing should not be an issue for people who cover the team. Kudos to Steven. I just can't wait untiul the day when this is accompanied by a column taking the people in charge to task for not avoiding situations like this.

I hope Ray comes back and serves the league as the ambassador MLS needs. But I could give a rat's ass about the timing of the story. If the players have gotten us this far with a coach who doesn't want to be here and an assistant (Hristo) who shows them no respect, I think this is nothing to worry about.

Hell, it might be better that they know people understand what they've had to deal with.

17. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I completely understand this viewpoint Ed.. My only real contention with the timing of this story is the fact that they are on the edge of making the playoffs for the first time in 4 seasons and if it doesn't come off, the playoff birth, this could be viewed as an excuse by both players and coaching staff as a reason to why they failed, that's all..

I just find it peculiar that it comes out now on the possible eve of clinching a playoff spot..

18. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I DIG Ray Hudson!

I think DC United would be less of a wild firestorm without his balls to the wall, let it all hang out approach! Who wants those ultra-conservative, low-tone geeks that coach elsewhere? Give me Ray ANY DAY!

I don't want the guy to crucify himself in the job though. Give him a month or two off after the playoffs & he'll be ok, I'd bet. Actually, he'll probably be bored outside of coaching. He just loves the game too much to sit around.

Besides, I don't think the networks would like his voice much. I got a recorded phone call message from him one day at work (brilliant DC marketing junk) he was barely intelligible. Pretty funny actually.

It's probably having to wear pants on game day anyway...

19. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    There's no way Nelsen gets moved forward. I still think Nelsen individually would florish there more, but the team needs him in the back and that's where he'll stay. I'd like to see Namoff with Kovalenko in the middle if Stewart can't go (or can only play half an hour). That'll free Dema up to get forward into the box, and he's due a goal here.

Regardless what a lot of people think of Hudson, it would be a shame for him to have to quit for health reasons. On the timing issue, I don't think the players would have to read the Post to know more about this than anyone else...they see Hudson more often than anyone in the press or the stands. What I mean is, the timing is a non-issue. If we all know that Hudson's health hasn't been good, then surely the players know much more about it. It's probably already affected them, so this article won't change that.

20. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My take on all this....

1. I don't find it that shocking. Hudson bleeds for his teams. He had a collapse and was hospitalized with the Fusion. Love Ray or hate him as a coach but there is no doubt he is consumed by United and the effort to put a winning side on the field.

2. I agree, he's a great guy to have doing color or some kind of PR. He's like Wynalda in that regard--you know they won't hold back from what they feel and say.

3. I think part of the issue here is that the team administration is not "in the tank" for Ray. Earlier in the year (after Hudson had indicated pre-Harkes decision) that the roster was pretty much set, we then went into the early part of the season and Ray was talking about how he didn't have the pieces to win and needed at least one more significant addition. And Payne publicly responded that United had enough talent to win, that there was no need to go out and add another significant player. And while Kasper has never been publicly critical of Hudson (and I'm sure is very supportive of him in many ways), his role as indicated by Payne when he was hired, was to be a counterpart or alternative perspective to the coach--for the Team Pres. (Zach) who has no practical soccer experience. In otherwords, if things go "south" on the field or players don't develop, have someone else in the organization close to the team with soccer expertise who can advise the team.

4. I don't think the timing on the story is bad. In the crunch time of the playoff run, the coach hasn't been there all the time (missing some practice, missing a second half, etc.). This just makes the explanation public (about him being worn down and it being a long season). Ditto with the Lilley thing--there is at least one team who's likely to be seeking an MLS coach (Dallas). Same with Columbus if they don't make the playoffs (heck, with their talent, Andrulis should be fired even if they do make the playoffs). We could be looking for a replacement for Hudson.

21. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I know this story will make a lot of folks happy, but not me. I like Ray. I've had his back since day one. I really hope whatever health issues he has get worked out. It would truly be a great loss if Ray left United.

On the other hand, if Ray were to go, I think Trask would be the man to step in and take things to another level. John has been as much a part of our success as Ray has. When you bring a new coach into a program, you get a whole new system. That's not what United needs IMHO. We have a good system, and a great group of core players. I belive John can lead this club to the Cup if Ray had to leave us.

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I doubt even Ray's harshest critics (myself included) would be happy about this story.

Please get yourself healthy Ray.

23. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    I wish Ray all the best, no matter what the outcome of these last two matches.
    He brings alot to United, and MLS.
    I would hate to see him walk away from Pro soccer.
    Perhaps Rongen's chair in the booth would be a good place for him.
    Mark

24. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    Interesting. Maybe in his next story Steve will report how Richard Gough is about to be named the next DC United coach.

Oh right. He already did that.

Good story, Steve!

25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Before the Blackburn game, Ray stopped by the Barra Brava tailgate to say hello. As he drove off, we noticed that his car still has Florida plates...

I like Ray, but the bottom line is that I go to the games to see the players, not the coach. In pro sports, the players are the stars.

Whether you stay or go, get healthy, Ray!