Huddersfield Town v. Arsenal MATCHDAY Thread Sat. Feb. 9 2019 at 3:00pm GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Feb 8, 2019.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was during Mourinho's first season at Yanited, they were playing Chelsea and it was obvious that every time Hazard touched the ball, he was hit. After the 4 or 5th time, Michael Oliver, before allowing the restart, pointed to several of the Yanited players one after the other and pretty dramatically did the "no more" gesture with his arms. Sure enough Herrera (I think) fouled Hazard a few minutes later and Oliver produced a card even though he may not have been one of the previous to foul him (or if he was it wasn't nasty).

IMO, that was a proper way to handle it. IOW, a player will get carded if he continues to foul during a match, so, similarly, refs should be aware if one or two players get fouled every time they touch the ball and hand out a card if it happens regardless of whether it was the culprit's first bite.

maskito repped this.
  2. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    It’s nice when that happens, but that’s 5 transitions from a top player that were effectively eliminated at the cost of one card on a moderately important player.

Perhaps free kicks could be taken from spots positioned like face off spots in hockey instead of the spot of the foul. I realize there may be unintentional consequences to something like that, but jeez they need to do something. It’s what makes La Liga unwatchable at times.

maskito repped this.
  3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand, but, yeah, it will probably require a pretty significant rule change to really address this. And I'd be lying if I claimed to even have such a cure-all.