Huddersfield Town v. Arsenal MATCHDAY Thread Sat. Feb. 9 2019 at 3:00pm GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we conceded. shocking

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mustafi with yet another unforced error. What's that his 5th today? Very eager to see him replaced ASAP.

Meanwhile we give Huddersfield their first goal in 10hrs! Not a pretty game but if we get out with 3pts it's job done. Ugly, but done.

And we do our level best to keep our streak alive... no away clean sheets in the whole season. :p

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Time wasting and can't even keep a clean sheet against Huddersfield. This team is gross.

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kolasinac flicked that in. Yikes.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  6. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final time...phew

7. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time wasting, defensive lineup, parking the bus the 2nd half....still concede against last place. I blame Ozil

banco, maskito, GunnerJacket and 2 others repped this.
  8. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming off getting throttled against City, that was a pretty discouraging performance against the very bottom team. Iwobi is like a lawn mower with no blade.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but did you really honestly expect much more from either club or player?

10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    If only managing 4 shots v City is an embarrassment, what is only managing 9 shots v Huddlesfield?

11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Boring.

12. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least Unai Emery didn't guarantee a clean sheet, because he didn't get one (thanx a lot Kola......NOT!!!), even though we took all 3 points, maybe Petr Cech should show all of us one last time how to run what was once the best laundromat in the League, and one WITH guaranteed clean sheets at that too!!!

I can't believe a club as great as Arsenal are can't keep a clean sheet on the road, especially against THE bottom feeders, in which Huddersfield currently are. It seems like we can easily beat the top clubs (Chel$ki, ManUtd, Scums, etc.) at home pretty easily but can't slam the door on even the worst clubs while away.

What's it gonna take to shut out a club on the road (in the EPL, I do believe, tell me if I'm wrong, as I don't watch, that we've done it this year in the EL)

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Meh. Arsenal played without PEA and with AMN deputising, and with Elneny seeing notable PT. Given that plus the usual defensive frailties and this being a road game I'm not going to dump on the performance too much. Let's face it, until we get the back 3-5 sorted out and healthy the team is always going to be below our aspirations.

3 pts
    Our Armenian looked good
    Onward and upward

maskito repped this.
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We got outshot 15-9 by a team averaging a touch over half a goal per game. Outposessed too. There aren't really any silver linings to take from this one, except that we managed to grind out a win against the worst Premier League team since 2007/08 Derby.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've professed my devotion to team form as much as anyone here and I'm not handing out trophies for today. I'm simply acknowledging the team still got 3 pts, and that I've seen worse.

16. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word.

I'm actually shocked we are still winning with our current injury list. Holding, Bellerin, Sokratis, Xhaka, Ramsey, Ozil (sick), Auba, Welbeck, is that all?

That's arguably the majority of our best starting 11. I'm not pleased with our play style of our defense, but at least we are still getting points.

NBCSN had a graphic that said we are 7 points better off this season. I'm still firmly in the camp that says Emery needs another year to show us if he can actually do this.

Remember, he only signed a 2 year contract.

Ornstein on the Arsecast said that the 45 million dollar transfer budget being thrown around is ridiculous. He's been told that the actual transfer budget will be somewhere around 100 million + departures.

He also said that he's heard from one source that Monchi has already agreed to become TD, but he doesn't want to report it yet because he hasn't verified that fact.

I think we have a plan, and I'm willing to bare out these awful performances to get us to where we need to be this season.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I'd agree that it's a majority of Arsenal's best starting 11, but I'm not sure Emery does. Only 4 of the players listed were consistent starters when healthy, though Holding was starting to push his way into that group.

18. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Jesus. This forum is even more depressing than it was in the late winters of the Wenger era. We have five more points than last season and if Chelsea drop points at city we will only be 1 point off 4th. Last season we were done in the league already.

Reading these posts you’d swear we were in 10th or something. We have the six best squad in the league and we are in sixth. A little more luck with the injuries and we’d be in 4th for sure I’m convinced.

Just have a little patience for Christ sake.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  19. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Liverpool only got 11 shots there and city 12. Pool squeaked by 0-1 and were out shot as well.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Plus our second-half strategy was near-bunkering. I really didn't like that strategy, but no surprise if it led to lower shot production.

21. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Can’t say I enjoy it either. But I’m not convinced it’s the worst strategy. How many games the last few years did we drop points from winning positions. This season we are pretty good at that I think. I think we have dropped 7 points from winning positions—that’s United (2), pool (3) and palace (2), there may be one more but I can’t remember. Last season it was 13 in the first half of the season alone iirc.

22. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #72 casoccerdad47, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    I don't see a Torreira thread, so this may be the next best place to put this. Torreira seems to get fouled on a regular basis, so I checked the stats. Only Zaha, Hazard, and Richarison have been fouled more often per game than Torreira. I was also surprised to see that Guendouzi is the 7th most fouled player and Xhaka is 15th. The only other center mids to make the top 15 are Pogba and Hojbjerg at Southampton. The rest are attacking mids or forwards, plus Danny Rose.

crazy150 and maskito repped this.
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We sure do get fouled a lot. We have the 4th, 7th and 15th most foul-attracting players? I guess it says something about our style of play, but I personally worry about these stats. That players like this might have a higher injury rate. (Has anyone every done a correlation analysis of this?) Wilshere used to really bug me in this regard... I always wanted him to release the ball before getting fouled, but he so often didn't.

p.s. If there's no Torreira thread, there damn well should be. You wanna start one??

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I worry a little about Torriera because of his size; constant fouling has to wear him down, but he was also fouled at about the same rate when he played for Sampdoria.

The fact that Arsenal's defensive mids are fouled so often suggests that virtually every other team thinks Arsenal are vulnerable to pressure. The difference between our defensive mids and Wilshere is that Wilshere was a dribbler, they aren't.

25. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    The rotational fouling is ruining the game in my opinion. As soon as spurs or city turn the ball over they are straight into the back of the player to break up play. It’s a smart tactic, but the refs have to put an end to it. Every club is starting to do it and every match is turning into el Classico with the stoppages. Not sure how to handle it, but something please.