Hud comments on "the jelly donut" indirectly? [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU, Sep 15, 2002.

1. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    From Diceson's postgame interview:

“It’s so bitter sweet. I’m not going to sleep a f------ wink tonight. I don’t want to get into this, honestly lads. It breaks me heart. It breaks me heart to see what we’re putting up with the . . . the way the lads burst their f------ hearts for each other and some players are out there not doing s---! They aren’t even in the f------ team. It f------ makes me want to puke. And when you see a team that is just cobbled together like that, thrown together, and you see the way they work for each other getting out wins, its f------ marvelous. But something inside of me is very angry because there’s something seriously missing inside this club that we will put right next year. This doesn’t pull any wool over my eyes.”

Who are the mystery men Ray is referring to here? I'm guessing the primary source of Ray's nausea is Jaime Moreno.

2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    As much as it hurts me to say it, that shot is directly aimed at Moreno...

That insult is not even worthy of a donkey like Alavanja...

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    You've got to love players who are out for the season but can play a "very athletic" game of Ping Pong in the locker room.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong Chris, but none of us know all of the facts to base our opinions on.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Jaime is gone next year. I don't know what the hell his problem is.

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Jaime was at Fado after the match and he seemed to think the team was doing just fine without him.

??? :eek: :eek: ???

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Not that this means a damn thing but playing ping pong is no big deal..

My roomate a few years ago had arthroscopic knee surgery at 10 am one morning and was playing ping pong (to my amazement) with me later that same night.. And he is not a professional athlete..

Standing and hitting a ping pong ball does not exactly push you to the threshold of athletic pain..

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Not exactly, and like I said I wasn't accusing Jaime of faking just because he was knocking the Ping Pong ball around. Thing is, the phrase used in the other thread was a "very athletic" game, which would seem hard with a torn quadriceps.

8. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    If it isn't Jaime, it's hard to think who it could be.

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    To a non-ahtletic person the mere picking up of the newspaper in the morning would be considered "very athletic"!

So who exactly is being quoted? Don't tell me is Mr. Right! :D (He does not seem to have a complete grasp of the English language)

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I think it was GrillMaster in the Post Game Thread. You guys can look it up, I was just posting what I read in that thread here because I felt it was relevant.

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Thamlin,

I was not attacking you. My apologies if is was perceived as such.

I was merely pointing out that the source could have been less than reliable. So that posters who are reading this thread will take all the posts in this thread with a grain of salt.

Thanks for remainding me where the reference was made.

Here it is in it's entirety:

I have met Grillmaster and he seems like a pretty reliable source.

BUT, the grapevine could have many different sources, many entirely unreliable.

Heck, I would be upset if this were true myself.

But, in the Screaming Eagles/Barra Brava section, beers were flying, a certain aroma was in the air, etc. etc. etc.

It could be possible that under those circumstances, "could not move while playing ping pong" could be construed as "athletically playing ping pong", specially if it is ten times removed from the original source.

If I have stepped on any toes, my apologies.

I believe we have some of the most passionate fans in the whole world, and sometimes it shows in their posts.

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Apology accepted. Sometimes it's hard to tell on these boards. ;)

I think we just need to hear from the GrillMaster himself about his source, etc.

What fun would these boards be without interesting rumors and "truths" though?

13. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I agree.

That would be nice.

Agreed.

14. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Actually, Alegria and Curtis came to mind before Jaime, to me.
    Both had very good nights, after having mediocre seasons. Add Villegas to that mix, I think he will be gone as well.
    Mark

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree--this quote seemed very much aimed at someone who wasn't on the field last night.

16. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    I think what pissed Ray off was the contrast between the gutsy efforts of guys like Chino and Ali, and the efforts this season of other players who weren't on the field on Saturday.

17. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, my source told me on the condition that s/he not be identified. It's a reliable source and maybe some eyewitnesses will step forward.

GM

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    That's fine. In fact, the fact that your source is so concerned about this does more than enough to prove that you weren't just making something up, although noone ever even accused you of that anyway.

There is talk in another thread of Moreno being fine physically, but doesn't have the confidence to play.

19. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly has Moreno done over the last 3 years to show he should be here next year earning the max?

20. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I don't think it is fair to focus on just Jaime here. Note that Richie and Ivan were also not playing on Saturday. Ray did allude to more than one player. Perhaps both Richie and Jaime are on the shortlist to go? Ray has damned Richie with false praise several times this year.

The fact is that Hudson sees that the team has more heart without McKinley, Moreno, Williams, and Alavanja. Maybe he will put two-and-two together and release or trade all four?

The thing with Jaime is that we all know that if anyone can find a way to motivate him and keep him fit, keeping him in MLS will come back to haunt us.

I say we release McKinley and Williams (waive them straight-out), trade Alavanja, and attempt to persuade Jaime that he belongs elsewhere or playing for a much smaller paycheck. But trading Moreno to another team in MLS may just be the motivator he needs, and we don't need.

Cheers,
    Tim

21. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is DCU the yankees of MLS, where they can just keep players so other teams can't have them?

Its certainly a risk I'd be willing to take. DCU has been suffering cap problems for years, which is fine when the money players are producing, but when they haven't for at least 2 years, hard questions need to be asked. Some fat needs to be cut.

22. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    In fairness to wee Richie, he was suspended due to caution point accumulation.

23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Moreno wants out of his contract, and this is the way he is approaching that goal. Just a thought.

24. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    That's a thought that I don't completely understand. Are you saying that Jaime is looking to move somewhere else and he wants to be out of contract in the offseason? I guess that could make some sense. After all, he has an EU passport (by marriage to a Brit). He could attempt to land with a first or second division club. I would welcome that, personally.

The one problem that I have with this is that I'm certain that the league would, based on past experiences, not give us an allocation to replace Jaime unless he was sold, and even then, they would attempt to screw us. We would have to waive him in order for his contract to be dissolved, as he is signed through next season.

Tim

25. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Maybe the thread title refers to this vicious attack from Daniel Hernandez:

Jeez. That was a shocking welcome to the United website just now!