HSV Has No Attack On The Right

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Ethel The Frog, Aug 27, 2002.

1. This Saturday's game in the US was Bayern v. HSV. It was fun to watch because both teams current lineups are getting to be quite familiar over here. Bayern has always gotten regular air time, and HSV has just by coincidence been a regular in recent weeks.

I have been thinking that when Lizerazu is not on the field, Bayern has a weakness on the left side of its back line. What this means is that, if I were coach at HSV, I would have tried to run my attack on the right side, going past Ze Roberto Linke and Tarnat, rather than Jeremies, Hargreaves and Kovac.

HSV, however, insisted on running the attack from its left side, where it has the talented attacking duo of Albertz and Hollerbach. These guys created chances, but the front line was unable to finish -- partly because Kovac had a great game, and partly because the HSV front line is either weaker than most bundesliga front lines, or else just not in form. (I feel like there is a big name striker at HSV who is injured right now).

Anyhow, I realized that HSV has no attack from the right. The guy they had in at right wing for most of the game was okay defensively, but did not create much on the attack. The right centerfield guy did not catch my attention at all. When HSV finally did put an attacking winger in on the right side, they quickly lost two unnecessary goals to the Bayern left side attack. This convinces me of two things: HSV has no attack from the right, and if there is a weakness at Bayern on the left side of defense, it is well covered by a strong offense.

2. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    I can't tell you exactly as I didn't see this game, but you are quite right. A lot in Hamburg is going over the left side with Albertz. Against Bayern they tried three attackers, but nobody really was on the wings. Quite an awkward formation if I'm thinking about it. Also against Hannover the right wing wasn't really existing. The striker you're missing is Barbarez, but he doesn't solve their right wing problem either.

3. Hadj Ullelah

Hadj Ullelah New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    home, sweet home
    The somewhat enigmatic transfer policy of HSV in recent years, which stipulates that under no circumstances are HSV allowed to buy a player for a position they are actually found wanting in and instead must buy any old foo' that happens to be on the market at the time, has led to the lop-sided composition of the current HSV squad.

There are a few above-average Bundesliga players in the side, such as Barbarez, Wicky, Ujfalusi or Pieckenhagen, even Albertz or Hollerbach on their day. Then there are quite a few very talented youngsters, on whom the jury is largely still out, such as Romeo, Hertzsch, Antar, Rahn, Ledesma, Heinz, Benyamin and a couple of young Danes. Tragically, HSV also have a whole bunch of players either well past their best or permanently injured (Cardoso, Meijer, Hoogma, Mahdavikia, Groth) as well as some who have just plain failed to convince (Kitzbichler, Maltritz).

The only ones in the squad capable of playing in an attacking position on the right-wing are new signing Kitzbichler (terrible so far), Mahdavikia (used to be excellent, now just coming out of 18 horrendous months of injury) or Antar (whom I rate a lot, but he seems out of place there. More of a central midfielder). Possibly Benyamin (talented but young) or Groth (ho-hum). Not really an earth-shaking choice there...

With the excellent Sergeij Barbarez out injured, HSV can "choose" from Romeo, Meijer and Heinz for attack. While Romeo definitely has poaching qualities and normally should play alongside Barbarez, he is obviously completely off-form just now and couldn't hit a barn from 5 yards. Heinz would dribble 6 times around the barn, play a backheel to the chickens and wait for the return pass. Meijer would just stand in front of the barn and attempt to wake up the crowd. All in all, HSV would (once again) fail to convince.

Obviously, this sad situation is not made any better by the complete lack of service from the right wing, as you pointed out. Realistically though, HSV need a central midfielder and another decent goalscorer even more than they need a tricky winger.

With luck, Antar can develop further this season, I really like the way he plays, although he still has a way to go. Defensive midfield is fine, Wicky, Ledesma, Baur are extremely solid options and Rahn and Albertz on the left as well as the defence (Hollerbach,Ujfalusi, Hoogma, Hertzsch - Pieckenhagen) are also ok. Anything else is just a disaster right now. Hopefully, it will improve. As I said, the squad is not without talent and could go quite far this year, on the other hand they may just have another year of mid-table obscurity and internal chaos.

4. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Actually he scored against Bayern, there just was a foul of Meijer before.

5. Hadj Ullelah

Hadj Ullelah New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    home, sweet home
    >>Actually he scored against Bayern,
    >>there just was a foul of Meijer before.

That was from less than 5 yards out ! :)

Anyway, I never said - or meant - that he was useless, just that he is badly off form and that he seems to spend most of his playing time frowning at linesmen who have (rightly) flagged him offside. In general, he is a very talented forward.

6. Thanks for the in-depth analysis.

I will keep my eyes out for Antar -- if we get any more HSV broadcasts in the US.

In the few games I have seen Romeo has had lots of opportunities, but he has not been able to finish them. Hopefully he will get his form soon.

Meijer has looked like a good target forward, partcularly good in the air, but not likely to do better than a goal every three or four games.

The announcer at FSW is quite impressed by Ledesma. I don't know why yet as Ledesma seems to get subbed in more often than not, so I have not been able to formulate an opinion on his play.

7. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Romeo is one of the best Bundesliga strikers, he'll score soon. Meijer is brilliant in the air - as long as he doesn't try to score. Some opponent coach said "He's raising to the air like a helicopter, but luckily up there he forgets where he is - otherwise he would be unstoppable".
    Ledesma is still young and I can't tell you exactly how good he is. Oddly the former GM Hieronymus bought him without really informing the coach, who now has too many players on this position.