Hristo Stoichkov se cotiza muy al alza en México

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Atlas10, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Atlas10

Atlas10 Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    high in the sky!
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This is the first time I heard of this guy.

Bulgaria, de la mano de Hristo Stoichkov, le endosó a México un rotundo 3-0 en el amistoso disputado por ambas selecciones en Houston. Eso, sin duda, ha disparado la cotización del ex blaugrana, que suena como futuro técnico del Cruz Azul ... o del América.

A new type of soccer style, maybe it will be good!!!

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idnoticia_PK=265301&idseccio_PK=849

2. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Stoichkov could very well be the greatest player that his nation has ever produced. The closest equivalent of a figure in Mexican futbol that I could try to compare him to would be Hugo Sanchez (but not on the same level, a few levels down). They share a lot in common. Beloved and deified by many of the countrymen. Respected by non countrymen as well. Recognized as having played some of the best and loveliest football in Europe during ther peaks and world-wide, they both probaby the best name recognition for their respective countries. No one could question his knowledge, player experience and passion for the game. But like Don Hugo, his passion crosses over into being brash, confrontational and explosive. Unlike Don Hugo (too the best of my limited knowledge), as a player-coach Stoichkov's volatile temprament has turned physical before.

At the end of wonderful playing career, Stoichkov also did some MLS time. Several seasons. He was one of the few well-known imported international players that the league brought to try to bring attract some interest that actually didn't end up being a big disappointment.

The only downside to his MLS time is that his bad temper never improved. It just got worse. His last MLS season he was brought to DCUnited to be a player-assistant coach. He was supposed to provied leadership and professionalism to the squad and it was supposed to help him get some experience for the next stage of his professional career. During that time, his temper got the best of him again and he broke some college kid's leg in a friendly when his pride got hurt and after DC gave up a goal to the college team that he felt should have been anulled for offsides. He freaking launched into the kid with his studs up and snapped the kid's leg in two. The kid was never the same as a player again. It was a vicious tackle. Think Elcock-Blanco back in the WC02 qualifying. It was ugly, ugly, ugly. Of course, he felt bad a bout it, he apologized, called the hospital, the kid's coach etc (until the lawyers told him not to do it--believe it or not, the kid never sued or received compensation--something that none of us ever understood).

The poist of sharing that isn't that I think that Stoichkov is a bad guy. The point is that unless he has matured (that was only about 3 years ago), as a Cruz Azul supporter, he isn't the kind of guy that I would want coaching Cruz Azul. I would much prefer to have a coach that not only brings insights and player experience but who also bring self-discipline. His temper was his weakness as a player and he started his coaching career showing the same sort of lack of self control. He brings a wealth of experience, passion and insights to the game but unless he has gotten himself together self-control wise, he could be the type of guy to help incite a riot. When he loses it, he really loses it. Great player, bad temper...Take that element away and the guy's coaching potential is huge. I hope that he lives up to it.

3. Danck989

Danck989 Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Canada
    You must be quite young to not know who he is..knock out round WV 94 he was el Verdugo de Mexico,and once again he showed he;s a riot.

*going on mosco mode* i agree.. with yankiboy's comment :D

4. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Nada pendejo pinche stoichkov... pero ya pa' qué? como jugador hubiera sido bueno. No creo que aporte nada mas que chistes.

5. edvc_van

edvc_van New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Canada
    I'm also surprised you don't know who he is.

Anyway I truly hate that guy and hope he doesn't get near mexican football.

6. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    'Course I know the guy, and I even know him in person! He even taught me the dirty word "KUR"!
    I remember a while back America and Celaya tried to hire the guy, but Stoichkov told Celaya he was too old for the MFL.

7. el_zacatecano

el_zacatecano New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Clovis, Ca.
    WTF?? Why wasnt he arrested? I dont think it would be a good idea to hire this guy, not just because of his temper.

8. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    wouldnt it make more sense that he'd want to coach in mls?

9. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    not if you wanna be part of a good league....

10. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    I must agree on that

11. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    My boyz Cheveloco and Mosco's MLS endorsements aside :) (yall are consistent, nobody can argue that)-- after what took place with the college kid--I can't think of any team in MLS that wants any part of him. Remember, when he broke the kid's leg, he was officially a player-coach.

12. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    It's almost impossible to get police let alone a local prosecuter to follow up on an assault that took place between two participants in sports game--even if they actually come to blows. Usually, unless it is a case like the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore NHL incident (Bertuzzi skated up to Moore from behind, sucker punched him and then used his stick to drive Moore face first into the ice, breaking his neck-even in hockey where violence is celebrated the British Columbian government was pressured by the public outcry into bringing charges against one of the province's favorite sons Bertuzzi).

The campus security (private college-they weren't actually campus cops like at a state school) didn't call real cops. The whole, hey "let's not make this a criminal event-players in the heat of battle thing kicked in motion". The kid's mom and dad who went to see the scrimmage--to see their kid play on the same field as the legend--they and a lot of other people like his coach were too distraught over the damage done to the young man. After the fact, the cops and the DA aren't gonna touch that sort of case. Stoichkov would have had to have hit the kid with an object or something to get action after the fact. That is the sometimes sad reality of sports. A lot of stuff gets justified because of the "heat of battle" ******.