Howard/Spector: Crewe v. United, 10-26 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by IMOX77, Oct 24, 2004.

1. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To show solidarity for Spector, I will respectfully refuse.

As for Howard, these games will be good for his confidence and his managers.

2. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Or option 3:
    He changed his mind.

3. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Pique is supposed to be a good player. He was on Spain U-17 World Cup roster last year and they went to the final against Brasil. Spector is a good defender but, he has gooten time at first team it was time to give other players like Pique Eagles etc some first team playing time.

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Yep, and it's no wonder United have so many players refusing to sign new contracts. SAF does not seem to deal straight with anyone.

5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Well then, I guess that is why he started O'Shea and Brown.

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't you guys feel foolish when Spector clears a shot off the goal line in injury time to preserve a win against Liverpool in January. ;)

Guys, there are few managers in the world better at bringing along youth talent than SAF. Spector, if he is good enough, will follow in the tradition as well. Like Buffalo said, breathe. The kid will be fine. :)

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Have you taken your ProZac today? You might consider doubling your dosage on days when you know a YA is going to play, or has the chance of playing.

8. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    In these kind of matches League Cup Early FA Cup rounds etc it is best to have some First team players and start some reserves.Spector has started 2 Premiership matches and has been on the reserves. Spector will be on the first team Maybe next year but, still It is best to give everybody a chance at first team.Spector should of played today but, just because he didnt dosent mean SAF is a liar or Spector isnt good enough SAF was trying to give some other players a chance.

9. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    If Spector has a slight injury that would make everything sensible.

Howard's receiving lots of praise on RedCafe

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I just don't trust SAF anymore with our YA's. I don't think he names his squad based on merit alone, which has me worried that even if Spector is deserving, he may get left out.

I may very well be wrong on this...it's just an 'un'educated opinion.

11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    ...I knew I forgot something! :)

Seriously though, as someone who has never had a favorite club team, YA's sort of fill that void for me. I get carried away at times, but it comes from the right place.

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Carling Cup isn't seen by the top teams as a "competition" per se. It's seen more as a chance to give reserve and youth teamers a chance to meld with regular first team players. That's why you saw guys like O'Shea, Smith, and Saha playing with Richardson, Miller, and Pique. SAF has continuously praised Spector, as have other United fans, for example on RedCafe. He has plans for the kid, and just because he doesn't get to play immediately, doesn't mean that he's pushing him aside. I think there is a very good chance we'll see him getting more first-team action this year, and likely in competitions more meaningful than the Carling Cup.

In what other ways do you think he's been unfair to YAs? Howard had to sit because he kept bottling simple shots--there wasn't much else SAF could do. Cooper was loaned out to a top division side in a fairly good league so he could get experience at a higher level than the reserves. Honestly I can't see that he's doing anything too unfair here. Not trying to be an ass, just asking what has caused you to lose faith in SAF bringing up our YAs. After all, I want them all to succeed too, and to help the USMNT.

13. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure he does.

Why else do you think Howard has his ass playing in Worthless Cup games?

And he can sparkle for the reserves all he wants, he gets precious little time as #1 until Carroll tires and messes up himself.

edit : I see Achtung put it a little politer than me.

14. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I didn't say that he had been unfair to YA's. I said I don't trust him with our YA's. He has been unfair to Carroll by dropping him for the FA Cup final...he has been unfair to Smith by benching him after Smith was the best player on the team to start the season...he was unfair to Kirovski for giving him false hope that he would be a good player (just kidding)...and he was unfair to Spector by spewing his mouth to the media that Spector would play.

As I posted already, it is SAF's squad to do with what he pleases. From what little I know, I just don't like how he treats his players.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Ferdinand makes all keepers look good. His suspension hurt Tim last year. It is unfortunate for Howard that he was replaced by Carroll just as Ferdinand returned. Neither of the keepers nor Ferdinand are responsible for the lack of scoring.

16. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carroll was given a chance last year so that Howard could rest. Once Howard was back to fitness, Carroll was back to the #2 spot. Smith hasn't been benched, he's played in several matches and will likely get more as fixture congestion builds. As for Spector, well sure we expected him to play, but he didn't. It wasn't the Champions League final or anything. Obviously I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get in a run at all, but he's had first-team action and will likely get more if injuries or fatigue sets in with the current first-team defenders.

17. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

18. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the lineup seemed very illogical... perhaps SAF was looking for an opportunity to test out Timmy? I mean, he knew this lineup should be able to net a few goals... and he HAD to know it would give up a fair amount of shots.

Maybe he just wanted to see how TH would do under some pressure?

19. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    True but Howard was responsible for the series of amazing gaffes he made that heavily contributed to already costing Man.Utd a decent shot at the title. Also he put them under severe early pressure in the champions league (his blunder got them eliminated last year).

The Carling Cup is a waste of time and should be scrapped.

20. Brunsen

Brunsen Member

Feb 16, 2004
    In a far off land
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is one thing united fans have lamented for years. fergy does pick his player based on reputation. case in point, barthez, veron, blanc...just to name a few in recent years. another thing followers and supporters will pick up on is he also speaks with a forked tongue...with that said, all the player picked, with the possible exception of richardson at left back, were worthy of a place in the starting eleven.

21. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone actually give us an update on the game? Is it over?

22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I have to call shenanigans here -- Howard was in no way at fault for Man U falling off the pace in the Premiership last season. What was he supposed to do, turn a 4-1 game into a 2-1 game?

He was rattled, sure, but Man U couldn't have won those games even if with some sort of diety in goal.

23. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pssssssst - Hey Beau, he's talking about this year. (note the use of the term already)

also tha Dennis Miller sig almost made my head explode

24. MadSirAlexxx

MadSirAlexxx Member

Mar 21, 2002
    It ended 3-0 for Man U. Howard went 90 and Spector didn't play.

25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    He's given up on this year already?

That's a fake "Dennis Miller," you know -- great Family Guy parody.