Howard/Spector: Crewe v. United, 10-26 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by IMOX77, Oct 24, 2004.

1. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    heinze was ******** today but unless my memory dosent work it was rio who pulled fullers shirt.

2. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The penalty was awarded for a shirt pull by Ferdinand. You know, the guy who supposedly was the one thing that made Carroll look better than Howard. I suggest you watch the game before repeating that erroneous match report. Seems like it's your post that's beyond its expiration date.

Very surprised by Everton so far this season.

3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Too bad transfer fees are not randomly assigned! That way, we'll really find out whether england66's theory is correct.
    :)

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Except, of course, keepers...

England, the Cooper theory just doesn't hold water. The kid seems like a fine player, but to justify starting over RVN you've got to do a bit more than he is doing in Portugal. It's pretty simple.

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Surprised AND wrong (so far)...

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    whoever said it was a "Cooper" theory..? I certainly have NEVER advocated him starting over RVN....the "theory" is based on...experience, some inside info and observation allied to a bit of common sense....

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Just giving you a hard time.

Of course all things being equal the guy with the big price tag (who is also the guy with the longer resume, more experience, etc. etc.) is going to get the benefit of the doubt. They paid more money because they think (rightly or wrongly) the guy is better. And when you have the kind of ego it takes to be a big manager, it's not so easy to admit you spent your money on a turd. But big clubs dump big money players all the time if the they don't work out. Some take longer than others. But if a guy on the bench is really producing better, they will get the chance.

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    which has been my point all along...

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    but you don't expect me to just agree with you, do you? Where's the fun in that?

I'm not conviced there's much of a hard fast rule in this either. Some gaffers will give up on a guy pretty quick, others have a stronger, uh, sense of self, and are less likely to conseder that perhaps they made an ill advised purchase.

But at the end of the day, no matter what the fee, if a coach figures you're screwing him out of a euro spot or silverware or what have you, you'll end up at Boston United.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I noticed you were from S. Fla. and figured you were thinkng of the Fins as well. :)

Yeah, I've participated in the "ask Jason" but I hope you're kidding about the rest, the ship has sunk....

Back on topic, I don't really think there is much difference between all team sports,the management/coaches must justify their decisions and dollars until they have absolutely no other choices.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's curious that no one had brought the "new broom" theory, a situation where the "new boss" is not the same as the "old boss" and whatever mistakes the old boss made get trashed with zeal.

Or is it a Mutu point?

12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    only if "boston united" can afford to pay you a lot of money (half what you paid ?) for your "mistake"...make too many "mistakes" and the board will be after your arse....yes, even if you are SAF...