Howard: Merseyside Derby - 9/9[r]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Sep 6, 2006.

1. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Maybe. Howard's parry off Luis Garcia's shot fell to Gerrard at the back post who put it away. It was reminiscent of some of his MUFC "saves" that lead to goals that got him benched. We can debate whether he could've caught Garcia's shot or knocked it elsewhere, of course, but it was similar. Thankfully, it didn't cost Everton anything.

2. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These links don't work (there's some frog looking thing instead). How do we get to see the highlights?

3. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    [​IMG]

There's the goal they're talking about.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That was a hilarious third goal.

It looked like Reina batted it in the air towards his goal. He went to catch it, and then realized his momentum was going to carry him into the goal if he landed. So he threw it up into the air, and Johnson was standing there to head it in.

Funniest goal since the Carroll blunder against Spurs?

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest Everton win in the derby since 1966 according to FSC.

Fantastic day for Howard, both personally and in a team sense. And it's worth noting that he seems to be thriving in part because of Everton's relative stature in the English pecking order. I forget whose theory it was, but it went something like "there are some keepers, like Van der Sar, who are excellent with 'big' clubs, but merely adequate with more modest clubs. Conversely, there are keepers who excel with more modest clubs, but are merely adequate with 'big' clubs." Speculation was that Howard is the latter, much like Friedel before him.

He and Andy Johnson look like the best additions anyone made this offseason, with a nod to Michael Carrick as well.

6. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you sarabella. I've never understood Dudek's benching in favor of Reina. Dudek always seemed solid, if not spectacular. Reina, well, that video speaks for itself.

7. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    You mean, NON goal.

8. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I attribute his performance less to the club's stature and more to the past three years of training with the goalkeeping coach at ManU. His positioning and decision-making have improved dramatically since his rookie Prem season.

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true, but I think Howard's personality is more suited to a situation where, each week, his team is going to have to scrap to win. I think Friedel is the same way, as is Keller - though Kasey's never been on a 'big' club, so there really isn't a sample there.

This bodes well for the USMNT as well, as we're much more "Everton" than we are "Man U".

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Tim Howard > Jose Reina

At least during this game.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not forget that Everton did finish high enough in the top flight a couple of years ago to warrant a Champions League qualifying place.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    A distant fourth in a very average year for the Premiership.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves ... just savor the moment. :D

13. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I must say 4 games into the season that Timmy has been great so far.

I just hope that there is a clause on his loan deal that says we can buy him for 2 million pounds. So far, he's going to be worth that much because he has been on good form for us. :)

Many Everton fans on the NSNO (Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum) fan boards have widely praised him, but are a little concerned because he doesn't seem to come out for crosses. Maybe thats something to look after. But so far so good :)

14. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I saw (most of the second half), Liverpool were significantly the better side. Timmy looked sharp, and it looked to me that he would have saved at least two more shots that barely missed had they been on frame. Gerrard's shot that hit the woodwork, though, definitely beat Tim.

That Arteta guy looked pretty good to me, and on the Liverpool side, Dirk Kuijt, bless his ugly soul, looked decent for once.

Tim definitely looks more confident in the box, although he could still use to improve. Here's to hoping he continues to build confidence.

15. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    People don't seem to remember last year that he was a really really good gk, he had a very long clean sheet run for Liverpool in the Prem. I still think he's a quality keeper, actually, just right now he seems to have a Tim Howard 2nd year syndrome in the Premier League :p

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah - Howard seems particularly unsuited for the stand around for 95% of the game and then come up with a big play on a very big stage.

17. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Is this it?

Gerrard

18. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Yes.

When I say Gerrard "put it away", obviously I mis-typed. He put it to off the post.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I want to see him get a shot with Utd.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    no way he catches that. Great save

21. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    As said before, it's debatable whether any mistake was made by Howard.

But if in a MUFC - Liverpool match TH puts that into Gerrard's path, who then levels the score, I have little doubt he would be lambasted for committing the same error as in the past (e.g., vs. Porto).

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    nah, I think those were two different types of plays. Against Porto, it was shot right at him almost, and he put it back into traffic.

this was a reflex save where he just had to get a hand on it anyway possible. The blame would goto the defender who let Gerrard wander in the box unmarked.

23. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Well then you're sanguine than I that fans will cooly analyze the situation rather than blindly assign blame based on previous beefs (cough*Donovan*cough).