Howard: I'm not number one

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sch2383, Oct 17, 2003.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    you know, for being one of the best atheletes in the world he is really humble. I mean he is a nice guy and all but wow.

3. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    More than being a 'nice guy', I think this reveals a wise approach from Howard. He knows that he's got something to prove in the eyes of many, and he's just focused on going out and doing his best and improving his game.
    Interesting what he says about what will happen when he has a 'bad day'. I just saw some highlights of Barthez as Sky Sports was talking about his loan to Marseille. They showed Fab essentially pass the ball to a wide open Henry in front of goal and get burned, when he wasn't even under any pressure. I don't think his bad day will ever be that bad!

4. RBourd52

RBourd52 Member

Jul 23, 1999
    Woodbridge, CT
    SAF seems to think Howard is the #1. I love this quote on why Barthez could be going on loan to OM.

"(Fabien's) a terrific goalkeeper, one of the best in the world, but just by opportunity Tim Howard has taken the number one jersey.

"When we signed Tim we did think he was going to challenge for the position - we didn't think he was going to be as good as he has been. He has been absolutely outstanding."

Here is the whole article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/3177478.stm

5. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit, Howard's perception of how this year was going to go for him is pretty close to what my perception was. I thought he was going to struggle somewhat the first year, but in the end his talent and character would see him through. His physical ability has always been there for him and will always be there. I guess that a lot of people, including Alex Ferguson and Tim himself, underestimated just how powerful his character is.

Quite a guy.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Howard knows that he can lost the starting post just as easily, and in the same manner, that he got it in the first place.

Should Ferguson feel the urge, he can go out and buy another 'keeper. But it's not happening anytime soon.

But like Highlander said, the learning curve for Timmy is quite accelerated at the moment, and he's adjusted to it very well.

7. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    i agree w/ him, Carol & Ricardo are both very good GK.

8. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    The day Howard left my MetroStars for ManU was a sad day for me.... but now I'm extremely happy to see him succeeding at the biggest club in the world.

If anyone deserves it its Timmy... a true professional

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the fact that Jonny Walker is the second coming made losing Timmy a lot easier.