Howard: Everton - Wolves 10/17 [r]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by johnsemlak, Oct 17, 2009.

1. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone following this one? The BBC live text says that the 87 minute wolves goal was helped by 'Howard leaping out of the way of the ball'.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcus in goal for the Wolves???

3. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench. Hennessey starts

4. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read three reports on this match. None blame teh goal on howard and all point to mistakes by the defenders. Howard apparently made a couple of good saves. The opposing welsh keeper Hennesey, who's playing ahead of Marcus, had a good game it would seem. Also, Howard seems to have been involved in a ruckus at the end that got him and a Wolves player a Yellow.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Details:

"Maierhofer was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Howard in injury time and was sent off, with the American goalkeeper booked for retaliating."

"McCarthy believed that Howard could easily have been red-carded too but declined to be drawn into a discussion about Attwell or whether the young official - who has been involved in several controversial incidents over the last two seasons - was intimidated by the crowd.

"But for the second yellow card he did what I would expect any centre-forward in the world to do and that is to run across the keeper's path to stop him clearing quickly, that is all he has done.''

He added: "But their 'keeper Tim Howard is very fortunate not to be walking off the pitch too. My understanding is that when you raise your hands above neck high and use your hands to push someone either in the face or close to it, then that is a sending-off.

"I feel that pushing someone in the back of the head - the back of the head is just above the neck as far as I am concerned - is close to getting a red. I felt it was unnecessary, he could just have let it go and everyone gets on with things. But it happens, it has taken the gloss off a very good away performance.'' "

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/report?id=269910&cc=5901