Howard, Donovan: Everton vs Birmingham 1/23 10 a.m. EST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Bite o' the Cherry, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just has to be selfish.

2. American Arsenal

Jun 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, BS is his harshest critic.

3. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Right.

I would much rather see Donovan take people on and "lose the ball" than make the occasional bad pass....

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mod's note: Let's avoid mere mockery, please. This is not the DPT.

5. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. All things being equal, you take off the guy on a 2 month loan and not your established players. That's if all things are equal. LD has to tell Moyes by his play that he is better off leaving him on the field. He didn't do that today. He didn't have a bad game IMO, but just not a good game. He was average, just like most of Everton today.

6. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    Well I hope he plays great and Timmy's team comes back to a least tie and force a replay (it may be over by the time this posts, whatever).

Personally I dislike the YA attitude that everyone fighting our Yanks for playing time should fail. I'd rather root for their teams to do well and for them to prove their worth by contributing to that, not for them to earn their playing time due to others failings.

Aside from being a team worthy of respect for their coach, players, and fan Everton is also Timmy's team so pardon we for not rooting for players, even those in competition with Landon, to fail.

7. Falsify

Falsify Member

Jul 28, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan's bad performance comes when the rest of the team does bad. It's funny to see all the self loathing American fans jump on his back after this game.

:mad:

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IMO Baines is normally a better attacking player than Neville who's a better defender.

9. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't understand what these situations were in the game that some people are seeing where Donovan showed an "unwillingness to attack" -- other than the time he cut inside and dumped it to Pienaar, which I think was the right play in that situation.

I think people are making that claim because that's the pre-existing narrative (deserved or undeserved) about Donovan, not because of what happened in this particular game.

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay!

Donovan's performance was not as good as it was the last couple of weeks. He suffered, as did all the Everton players, from being in the wrong formation in the first half but he did improve when he was being played out wide more in the second. I also think he was a little too deferential to his teammates a couple of times. Arteta was subbed on for him not because Donovan was playing poorly, but because his was the most logical place for Arteta. And there's no way Moyes is going to delay Arteta's re-integration with the first team. He's just too important for them.

11. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta came on!!! The attack didn't die but it didn't come alive either. True Cahill did very little as well. And many Everton fans are great fans of him so he could be another guy Donovan could displace.

12. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess by BS standards he had a bad game. I just felt he was average.

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't know if we should have a policy - but rooting for one of Everton's favorites to suck seems slightly less lame than rooting for injury.

14. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Beat me to it - agreed.

15. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not profess to be an Everton expert, but here are my answers nonetheless:

1. Yes. Baines tends to make more runs up his flank than Neville does his.
    2-3. No, I think the style of play difference between the full backs is independent of who is playing wide.
    4. I thought Donovan was playing the role asked of him by Moyes in the first half, which was to stay high. In the second half it seemed Moyes adjusted Donovan's role to play him pinched in and closer to the central midfielders.

16. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get over it. Happens all the time.

17. American Arsenal

Jun 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems like the sky is always falling on here.

i agree, he was average today. but he was good the last two weeks. one average week downplays the first two games?

18. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan has had a history of fading in matches when he needed to be more selfish and go to goal. Your teammates will do one of the three things: (1) lose confidence in you and not pass it to you, (2) get pissed off at you, or (3) cheer you on ... this is professional ball - and the EPL .... (3) isn't going to happen ... so when LD fades (1) will happen and (2) Neville is going to get pissed off at LD .... so LD needs to grab his balls and get a little selfish to help them win. David Moyes is not going to coddle him ... LD is there on loan and has a chance to help them win ... he did not do that today and merely sitting back and occasionally providing the nice pass is not enough. He needs at this point in his career to put HIS STAMP on the game. Anything else is not good enough.

19. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Thank you.

Another good post.

I likes this post the best.

We really should stop overreacting so damn much.

20. adeav7777

adeav7777 Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be the first to say I'm being overly critical of him, but oh well. I just want it to happen for the guy.

Maybe we all have a major inferiority complex when our players play abroad for a new team in a big league and even more delicate with Landon being the subject.

21. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    (American Arsenal)"Here's another point.

B'City is a good club. They're not in 8th, staring a EL spot by accident.

Good clubs neutralize good players. Whoever was marking LD today, was with him for most of the match"

You nailed it. Toffees just had a bad day at the office against a team that hasn't lost in 15 tries. I thought Lando would be able to punish Ridgewell down that flank, but ManU did not have much succes against the B'ham backs last week either

22. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    He played ok. We'll see better from him, and Everton as a team were poor in the first half.

23. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good first. Pretty good second. Bad (Indifferent,Average, Whatever) Third. He has to be selfish. People expected him to improve on his Arsenal game. And did he? If the order of games were the other way around people would say Donovan is improving.

24. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    It would really help with understanding the play of his teamates if they could just involve Donovan more when he is WIDE open...especially when play is on his side.

The defender behind Donovan doesnt seem to want to play simple......

25. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just made my point by not saying a single thing about the game today.