Howard/Donovan: Everton - Chelsea / 02.10.10 / 3pm ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Crimen y Castigo, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he might have missed the PK in the final of the Superliga (against Pachuca or someone like that). Didn't LA lose on PKs a few years back?

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmm....I'm not sure now.

100% spot on.

3. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Bellamy plays as a striker and a midfielder, he's played in both lines a lot.

Bellamy was Young Player of the Year in the Premiership. My point is there is a huge disparity between the MLS and the Premiership. There are players who have been cononsistently among the top MLS players for a number of seasons who wouldn't be good enough to play in the Premiership.

4. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing you didn't see Bill Simmons' interview with Donovan from a few days earlier. Simmons specifically mentioned Rimando, whom Donovan had missed a PK against earlier. Sure looked like Rimando was in Donovan's head a little bit.

So no, Rimando didn't touch the PK, but he did have a mental edge on Donovan.

Here's Rimando's actual save from a few years back:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCXRETHySa4"]YouTube- Nick Rimando PK Save Landon Donovan[/ame]

5. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    He's worth whatever people are willing to pay for him.

6. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    The problem with this argument is that he's already eclipsed the grand total of minutes played in Germany playing very well in a better league. By the end of his loan, it's likely he will have played at least twice the amount of minutes he played in Germany. Thus his latest spell is far and away a better indicator of his value then anything that came before.

And Bellamy can't pick a pass like Donovan nor does he possess the work rate to track back. Bad comparison.

7. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whats important is that he doesnt miss on the internation stage

8. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Name some. Not doubting you, it's just none come to mind for me.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Everton are only willing to shell out, say, 3 mill because it is what they can afford, than it is what they can afford, not because he isn't worth 10 million.

A BMW isn't worth any less because the majority cannot afford it.

10. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Just found out today my BMW needs a new engine. Don't want to put a price on that. :(

11. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Really? I think there's only a very small number of players currently in the MLS who could make it in the Premiership

12. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Everton have money, they just don't have as much as say the big four or Villa and Spurs. Plus they're pretty frugal with it anyway. Still MLS would have to get pretty silly to reach a price Everton couldn't actually afford.

But I'm not specifically talking about Everton, if MLS ask a price no-ones willing to pay how can it be said that Donovan is worth that much in the entirely subjective world of transfer prices?

13. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Name some. You said there are several outstanding MLS players year to year who could not make it in the Premiership. I just want some names.

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to be accurate, LD didn't 'bollock' Beckham so much for being at Milan as for his mind being in Milan when his body was in a Galaxy jersey.

Flash as in play extremely well? If that's the question the answer is vs. Italy.

15. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's worth that much to LAG, Herbalife, Home Depot, etc.?

Everton didn't buy McBride, but it doesn't mean that McBride wasn't worth buying or that no other European team was wiling to buy him.

16. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Which players do you think could make it in the Premiership?

Donovan could obviously, Beckham clearly still has it in him. Ljunberg and Angel maybe still have it in them. Apart from that I would've said Holden, but he's already gone.

Consistent MLS perfomers like Cunningham, no.

17. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Maybe, but thats's not his market value.

Someone might pay what Everton aren't willing to. If the MLS asks $10 million which translates to just under £6.5 million then they may well be takers. If they ask £10 million, I can't see it happening.

18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he did. vs. Pachuca.

I thought he was referring to the Mexico National Team.

19. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say Bornstein, Cameron, and Beckerman right now. As to non-yanks, Joseph comes to mind. I want to say Chad Marshall, but his international appearances are not encouraging.

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    didnt he also miss in the final of the initial COncacaf champions league, losing the match for his team as well?

21. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like your enthusiasm. I do. Bellamy is a wide attacking player. Landon is as well. Bellamy is asked to come back and defend often for Man City, not as often as Donovan does for Everton, but often. They are very very similar players. Main difference is Bellamy has played with venom his entire career. LD's just starting to play with venom. I've watched both players play for years many many times. Bellamy is a more valuable player and there's a reason. It's because he's better. He's one of the top players in the prem. Maybe Donovan can be too. He's gotta prove it first.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it was in the final of Superliga, vs. Pachuca.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Bellamy better than Donovan? Not a chance, no way, no how. He is better known in the UK but he is certainly not a better player. Landon is faster and Landon is a MUCH better passer.

24. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh but it is his market value. AEG/Home Depot/etc. don't spend money on players out of charity.

25. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Didn't you say top MLS players from year to year. I wouldn't say Cunningham fits the profile. More like DeRosario or Joseph.