Howard: Barthez says he's staying at United

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by subbuteo, Jun 13, 2003.

1. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/o1090.html

""Everything is going perfectly well for me. I've always felt fine with Manchester. Therefore, I'm staying there. There is no problem."

Who believes him? Also, if Carroll is not plucked AND Barthez stays, where do you think Howard would be on the depth chart?

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Warning:
    Three pop-ups including both the ultra-annoying full screen variety AND the fake screen in screen type.

3. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    yesss, we don't lose our best keeper......

4. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Jesus, that's crass.

And funny too lol

*&(&%^ng Barthez...

5. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Non pop-up site:

http://tinyurl.com/e8s5

Post 666... hehehehehehe

6. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    He would be the 3rd keeper on the roster since their other guy is gone. I think he would be fighting Carroll to backup Barthez. Also to characterize Carroll as taking over in goal as some permanent decision by Ferguson is an exaggeration. Barthez had been hurt off and on the last month or so of the season, yeah Carroll took over but I wouldn't make to much of it. HAd it been the middle of the season I think Barthez would have been back in goal when he was 100% healthy. While Carroll is good he didn't exactly make people forget about Barthez.

All that being said, I still think Barthez is either out or demoted. Howard, Rustu, Niemi, Friedel and whoever else he's loking at will compete for the top spot.

7. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Good I hope he stays. That way the world can see how much better our third string goalie is than France's number 1. I'm sorry folks, but Barthez sucks! The guy is a walking sideshow.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But a sideshow with a World Cup and a Premiership medal...

He may not be "all that", but there are plenty worse choices out there.

9. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    I thought Rustu said he was going to Barca...at least that's what Sky Sports reported the other night...

Barthez sounds like a guy who is unwilling to acknowledge that his job is in jeapordary. Let alone that he might lose his job to an American (gasp!) Two hundred percent comfortable? Hardly.

10. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard and read the same info. Rustu WILL NOT be playing for Manchester United this season.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Yea well, David Beckham also said he wants to stay at Old Trafford

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And a Euro 2000 winner's medal, and his transfer fee is still the biggest paid for a goal-keeper...
    The oft-repeated BS idea that Barthez sucks is laughable. BF had a better year. But players don't build championship resumes like his by being bad at their jobs. He's still one of the top 10 keepers on Earth. In fact, beyond BF, Kahnenstien, Toldo, Recber, Cudicini and Canizares, it's hard to come up with names who would be widely agreed to be better in goal right now. In BSland, Keller would be on that list, but _ while wonderful to have on the US roster _ not even his own manager is singing his praises right now.

13. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Fabien does things in net that make you want to shoot him. Such has handling the ball outside the box.

14. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Well, not exactly a BS idea. It's just an idea put forward by some BS posters who doesn't know better. Please also remember that many BS posters feel a need to put down other players (or teams) in order to make our boys look better.

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best Case Scenario: United sign another keeper, and Howard gets a chance to get the No. 1 spot with United.

Worst Case Scenario: United sign another keeper after releasing Ricardo and Caroll, and Timmy is relegated to 3rd string.

I see a middle ground: United keep Barthez, they sign another keeper (or keep Ricardo which Howard is 10X better), and Howard fights for the No. 2.

However; Barthez is an excellent keeper. Believe me, United fans have seen howlers (vs. Madrid and every 3rd of 4th game last season) but there's been wonder saves galor as well (Liverpool, Arsenal, etc.). So, I think if Howard shines with his appearance with the Senior Team, I can see him gaining the No. 1 spot by the beginning of next year, if not sooner.

16. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think ManUre will actually loan out Howard to one of their feeder clubs (like Royal Antwerp) so he can get some experience in a European league before he plays for ManUre. I think Barthez will start the season as the #1 keeper for ManUre.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barthez is saying hes not leaving. Hes not saying that he has been told he will be the starting keeper next year. If he stays it could be as a backup behind Howard. But refusing a transfer is not a good way to keep a starting job if the boss is looking for replacements and already brought someone over.

18. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Barthez has the rep - Howard is going to prove himself, possibly against a couple of others as well.

he should get the chance, though. Unlike Donovan, the coach that signed him seems to be sticking around and probably wants to see him in action.

19. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yeah, this is why we're selling Beckham. So we can pull down 30-odd million pounds and not spend any of it to replace Monseur Disastre. Somehow, I don't think he will be around next year, unless Sir Alex has taken utter leave of his senses.

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    For chrissalke already

Howard will not be starting opening day for Utd. For all the lapses of concentration that Barthez may have had, Howard has had more this year, and in an inferior league. I'm not putting down Tim. He may yet be a world class keeper, but Tim has had a few near howlers himslef this year, and that's in MLS, not CL, MLS. IF he starts a premiership game this year for Manu, I will be absolutely shocked.

21. Riverdale Goalie

Riverdale Goalie New Member

May 12, 2001
    Bowie MD
    Not to nitpick but I'm almost positive Buffon's transfer to Juve was more than twice Barthez's transfer to Man U.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Juventus paid Parma £32.6m for Gianluigi Buffon in 2001.

23. MadSirAlexxx

MadSirAlexxx Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Barthez can say what he wants to...if Sir Alex wants to get rid of him..then Sir Alex WILL get rid of him

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: For chrissalke already

True enough.I'm actually quite disappointed in Howard so far this year.Perhaps the talk of moving caused a loss of focus.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: For chrissalke already

Well, if the KC game is to be his last, he went out in style. The double stop on Wolff and Preki in the dying seconds was truly world class. The bastard.