Howard : 9/16/03 CL - Manchester United v Panathanaikos 2:45 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Thomas A Fina, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he playing?

2. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some quotes from Sir alex Ferguson

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=121891&cc=5901

For all the attacking quality his side showed during their epic 4-3 second leg win, the tie was over when United slid three goals behind during the first encounter in the Bernabeu
    With all but one member of his defence retained since then, Fabien Barthez appears to have been singled out for the calamitous opening.

"When you score five goals in a European quarter-final, you expect to reach the semi," he said.

"If we had maintained the defensive solidity we had shown for most of the season, we would have been into the next round but we went to Madrid and conceded some soft goals.

3. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Yup.

Not playing is Scholes, Kleberson, and possibly Silvestre. A lot of others are hurting, especially Keane, who will probably be on the bench to start this one.

This could be tricky. Or a blowout. :D

4. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    yes, Chicken Little, he will.

And he will continue to play.

Every match that means anything.

5. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Re: Re: Howard : 9/16/03 CL - Manchester United v Panathanaikos 2:45 (R)

Unless he has a big stinker against The Arse.

6. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    No Keano today. Probably see Djemba-Djemba in his place then. How many Americans have played in the champion's league? the only one I know for sure is John O'Brien.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Jovan played some early round games for Borussia Dortmund back when they won it.

I think Frankie Hejduk also played some early round games for Bayer Levkusen.

And, I'm pretty sure Claudio played some CL games for Rangers.

Surprisingly, given the success our 'keepers have had abroad, I think Timmeh! is (well, will be) the first American GK to play in the CL.

8. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Any free webcasts?

9. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Yes, Claudio played CL for Rangers and scored a key goal against Parma in the final elimination round, helping to knock my team out of the competition for the entire season.

But I was happy for Claudio.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Howard : 9/16/03 CL - Manchester United v Panathanaikos 2:45 (R)

Christ Tree, calm down. I wasn't implying he wasn't. I just hadn't heard anything, and I thought there'd be at least two pages of a thread already going this morning if he was playing.

There was nothing, so I started the thread.

Please take your Prozac. :rolleyes:

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this will be much more of a severe test for Timmy. Panathaikos (sic) is twice the team of Southhamption, Wolves or even Charlton.

I'm nervous already. :)

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    free audio is available at manU's website, you just need to set up an account, which is also free, if you're just interested in audio, and not video content.

13. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Okay, a more severe test. But he has faced quality before. I don't know how to compare the squads that Turkey and Brazil had in the Confeds Cup this summer but obviously there was some quality out there. Does anyone recall Timmy stopping a blistering curling free kick from Jar-Jar?

14. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    I know, I've registered, but that site uses RealPlayer, and my place of employment blocks streaming audio through RealPlayer. Other types work, so I was looking for others.

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Just a reminder not to post other CL results in this thread (such as Beckham scores!), as some of us will be watching the game later.

16. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK ITS OFICIAL

TIM HOWARD IN GOAL

Tonight's Manchester United team: Howard, G.Neville, P.Neville, Ferdinand, Silvestre, O'Shea, Butt, Fortune, Solskjaer, Van Nistelrooy, Giggs. Subs: Cristano Ronaldo, Bellion, Keane, Djemba-Djemba, Forlán, Fletcher

17. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
  18. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    BBC just cut off...those bastards.

19. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Damn. They webcast the pregame from Old Trafford, but cut it off when the game starts. Damn legal issues... ;)

20. TravisMinor_23

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    MU radio is still free on the bright side....but really too biased..."crunching challenges in the first 3 minutes"

21. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am listening to the the game on MU radio. Absolutely no mention of Howard so far. ManU has the ball most of the time. They almost scored in opening minute.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, isn't this 5 defenders (Nevilles, Rio, O'Shea, Silvestre) and a defensive mid (Butt)? In a home match?

23. TravisMinor_23

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    GOOOAALLLL....off a corner, Mikael Silvestre knocks it in after a goalmouth scramble. 1-0 United.

24. TravisMinor_23

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    AND ANOTHER!!!!
    Fortune from Giggs, beatiful strike with his left foot from the right hand side. 2-0 United.

25. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2-0 ManU already. Howard hasn't even touched the ball.